AstraZeneca

Updated September 29, 2014
3.3

AstraZeneca Executive Director, CEO Pascal Soriot
Pascal Soriot

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is good with opportunity to move within the company (in 66 reviews)

• AZ IT can be very well paid with great benefits (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is suffering as additional work is piled on the few that remain (in 11 reviews)

• No rep advocates amongst senior management and very few capable FLSM's (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience, hopefully not my last

Former Employee - Biochemical Screening Scientist in Alderley Park, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good management, good culture, value their employees and their development

Cons

Uncertain times, with potential take over talk, too many meetings to setup meetings

Mediocraty Rules

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Alderley Park, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Alderley Park, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generaly very nice people to work with and managers etc on a personal level were always warm and accomodating where possible

Cons

wage is average to poor for the sector. Little room for progression with most people staying for at least 5-8 years in their band. Very resistant to change and were often met with a "we do it this way because we have always done it this way" mantra - despite all of the change an initiatives from the top which were often meerly just words rather than actions. Constant rounds of reorganisation and redundancies meant that productivity had dropped at least 50% as people were too bust working out where the next job was going to be!

Be more open to new ideas and have the courage of your convictions, stop with that half arsed plans and just do it properly!

A sandwich year placement in AZ.

Former Employee - Placement Student in Alderley Park, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Placement Student in Alderley Park, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent support from everyone. Amazing facilities.

Cons

Concerns regarding to site relocation.

Great experience, but felt a bit out of the loop

Current Employee - Medicinal Chemistry Placement Student in Alderley Park, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Social - most people in your team/section have tea together. Often, large lunch groups form.
    Great food - very good restaurant for lunch, tho the prices started to creep up quite high.

Good facilities - usually have access to all the equipment you would want.

Plenty of consumables budget.

Sense of community/belonging.

Opportunities for secondments and further training

Great sports clubs and facilities.

Cons

For me, I felt very disconnected from the projects I worked on, as I was quite junior, I wasn't invited to design meetings - I'd just be given a target list. This quickly became tiresome, just feeling like a chemistry machine without purpose.

Whilst I was there (2007-2008), we hit recession and the company restructured, with a whole section losing their jobs in one afternoon. That was a tough experience for everybody.

AZ don't seem to have a clear vision for their product pipeline. This makes me worry about their future. The solution is not to just keep buying out biological companies.

Often, there was too much emphasis on effociency and six-sigma, rather than thinking more carefully about how targets are designed and distributed to chemists.

No communication happened between chemists and biologists (and others). This only happened at a team leader level.

Many projects seemed to have stagnated - they had been around a long time.

Drug discovery is inherently interdisciplinary. Make time to allow all departments on a project to communicate with all members of that project team. Also, involve all medicinal chemists in the design process. This will prevent stagnation and breed creativity, to push on projects faster.

Think less about how a process fits into the lean sigma strategy and more about how to get te best quality from the molecules and data you generate, rather than just making things quickly.

The career progression path is a bit mystical to new recruits.

Relaxed place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alderley Park, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alderley Park, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca

Pros

Nice atmosphere, relaxed atmosphere in my area.

Cons

Can be difficult to get people on-board with some projects. The relaxed atmosphere is nice, but it can feel a bit lethargic at times. A bit of an 'old boy' network in the top echelons with the older (mainly men) enjoying excellent salaries, with a bit of a difficult climb for talented younger people. Most of the really talented people move to other companies in order to get ahead.

Better talent spotting at the junior levels. Too stultifying at the top levels.