AstraZeneca

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Chaos - leave well alone

Administrator (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca as a contractor for less than a year

ProsTheir products are great, nice offices shame it's not nice working there.

ConsPAs are arrogant - don't temp there! IT is appalling for such a big company - 3 people trying to sort out every IT issue at Kingdom Street - overstretched is an understatement. Hot desking hated by all. It's a matrix company in a mess that has lost its grip on what it's trying to achieve. Too many sections are outsourced and many staff are unhappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out your IT and your hot desking situation. Also sort out or get rid of some of your arrogant PAs.

Start living in the real world. Become competitive, not cosy.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at AstraZeneca

ProsThe pay is good, and some of the people are good.

ConsMassively over-manned and over-managed. When anyone else would have one person doing a job, AZ has at least 3, and four extra layers of managers and directors. Instead of merging Astra and Zeneca - both of which were fat and overmanned - they just added them together and put in a couple of extra layers of directors and managers. Having grown fat and lazy with great stock programmes, folk just turn up for work and don't seek the improvements in how the business works that will shortly be needed for survival. The whole culture is just waiting for the next "blockbuster" drug that will make them all real comfortable again. They don't realise that their old model of blockbusters and stupid healthcare plans and governments paying them too much just will not work in the future. The folk from N. America intensely dislike the Brits, the Brits hate the folk from N America, and the Swedes get pushed around by the Americans and Brits.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the organisation by 40% and reduce the number of managers and directors and VPs by 60%. Change the top of the HR team so that you have some really capable people there. Stop the nonsense about "Globalisation". It is costing you so much money.

Uneasy times

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible working, salaries are good, if working in the right areas there's an excellent team dynamic. People are amazingly friendly despite all that's going on.

ConsA company amongst the midst of massive changes worldwide. Feathers are ruffled, people are unhappy. The company needs to look at employees who do a fair bulk of the hard work and learn how to value them.

Little to no value on PA's, despite the hours and work they have done, and continue to do despite being told there is no future for them at the company as they won't relocate them.

Could benefit with a clear out of the dead wood now and not wait for natural waste to occur.

They also need to make up their minds about the relocation, which is now accelerated to next summer, not summer 2015/2016, and have a little respect towards those they know they don't want to take.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect those who are working hard for you... And show it

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of pressure

Principal Business Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time for more than a year

ProsCulture
Interesting industry
Global footprint

ConsIn constant restructuring
Lack of continuity in strategy due to changing leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful to look after the employees you want to keep

Capable people, hugely political. Full of European and American managers

London, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca

ProsGreat products, friendly work place, work life balance

ConsLow on diversity , unfair and political promotions , poor product pipeline

Advice to Senior ManagementGive opportunity to non Europeans and non Americans, be honest in communication

promotion prospects

Director, Finance (Current Employee)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of people with a real passion for the work AZ does - this surprised me.
Good pay and benefits
Good development opportunities

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement as the company is contracting
A little bureaucratic

Advice to Senior Managementhelp people plan their careers better and provide more structure - good seasoned professionals will work there and move on if there is no opportunity, the "lifers" and those with less ambition will stay and that doesn't help a company respond to changing business needs flexibily

Best job I've had

Project Manager (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat culture. Supportive but laid back management. Interesting challenging projects to work on. Flexible working hours. I was a contractor and the pay was very good.

ConsNothing comes to mind. No issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for AstraZeneca? Contribute to the Community!

AstraZeneca – Why Work for Us?

Our mission is to create a meaningful difference. In the lives of the patients we serve. And the people who work here.   We are AstraZeneca. More than 57,000 employees strong, we have a presence in over 100 countries… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AstraZeneca reviews and ratings in London, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by AstraZeneca employees.