AstraZeneca

AstraZeneca Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

AstraZeneca Executive Director, CEO Pascal Soriot

Pascal Soriot

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is good with opportunity to move within the company(in 55 reviews)

• Great Pay and benefits are good as well(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is suffering as additional work is piled on the few that remain(in 11 reviews)

• No rep advocates amongst senior management and very few capable FLSM's(in 15 reviews)

Good Career learning opportunity for field sales and sales management.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsTraining and Personal Growth opportunities.

ConsCompany politics, Annual Performance Evaluations, jobs are often "restructured" and eliminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at those employees making meaningful contributions vs. promoting those who make the most noise.

Micromanaged and overkill

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood base salary, good benefits, nice cars

ConsIf you need someone to watch over you and tell you what to do, then this is the place for you. They changed their selling module within my division and caused a complete overkill of reps calling on the same doctors with the same product lineups and weighting

Advice to Senior ManagementLess is more sometimes!

So far so good

Data Scientist (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsWorking at RDI, it's pretty ok so far, easy work!

Constoo much technical problems to get my system up and ruining and start the job!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So far, so good!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsAutonomy to do your job well.

ConsCareer Development is frequently lacking.

Good!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is better than industry average.

ConsManagers like to Micro manage. It is hard to move up because there are not many openings.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micromanaging.

Loved it at first, but couldn't wait to leave.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsGreat people, location and very interesting projects.

ConsPoor management and HR practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to listen to employees concerns during engagement sessions.

Could do so much better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing staff - so much intellectual horsepower available. Dedicated and driven,

ConsRelentless reorganizations and lack of commitment to on-going programs. Constant demand to do something new - demoralizing!

Senior Manager refuses to promote in order to keep employees in current roll.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Specialist (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat sales training. The salary is probably competitive everywhere else in the country, but not having a cost of living adjustment for San Francisco (the most expensive city in the US) makes it difficult to stay.

Good benefit package.

ConsThe senior manager won't promote anyone, because she doesn't want any vacancies that could drop her overall sales. Thus, excellent reps are being kept at low levels and are becoming extremely dissatisfied.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people who deserve it, even if it means they'll leave your direct employment. Otherwise, they'll leave out of nowhere and you'll be unprepared.

Great to their people, but career advancement an issue

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsPeople are very bright and definitely care about each other. Senior management seems set on getting the house in order, and if Pfizer doesn't acquire the company, I think the company will see success in 2017. Work/life balance is very good, with nice family events. Nice amount of vacation; every year I got a free week off between Christmas and New Year's Day. Challenging work on real science. Even with cuts, the benefits are still very good.

ConsCuts, cuts, cuts as the company goes through a patent drought. Research head has made clear that he does not believe in informatics, so the group has been heavily cut. Success of the company does not necessarily mean success for the employee or for their site. Layoffs and site closures are now frequent, and I don't think there is any company that is better at doing reorgs like clockwork every two years or less. Benefits and perks are cut every year. The company is focused on large molecules so the small-molecule sites, like Waltham, are even more at risk of closure. It's hard to advance here, particularly without relocating. There are deep cultural rifts between the US, UK and Sweden and they are not acknowledged or properly addressed; the result is a charged political environment where people don't understand each others' styles or meanings. A lot of people are leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide whether you care about your employees. Maybe provide cultural training on differences between US, UK and Swedish preferences, although there have been many heavy-handed attempts at cultural training without much change. Train managers to look out for their staff.

Very good work environment in the first five years but that declined later.

Senior Her Manager (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsFlexibility to work from home

Consunstable work environment and constant turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a plan that is achievable and stop changing working and reporting structures for the sake of change.
    This has led to low employee engagement and low productivity.

Worked for AstraZeneca? Contribute to the Community!