AstraZeneca Reviews

536 reviews filtered by
3.5
AstraZeneca Executive Director, CEO Pascal Soriot
Pascal Soriot

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is good with opportunity to move within the company (in 66 reviews)

• AZ IT can be very well paid with great benefits (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is suffering as additional work is piled on the few that remain (in 11 reviews)

• No rep advocates amongst senior management and very few capable FLSM's (in 16 reviews)

1. Fantastic company, hugely talented workforce in all disciplines, with clear strategic focus

Former Employee - Business Devevolopment in Gothenburg (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Business Devevolopment in Gothenburg (Sweden)

I worked at AstraZeneca

Pros

What you'd expect from a global large pharma - excellent benefits, broad development opportunities, great working environment, extensive support resources available

Cons

Navigation of politics and multiple stakeholders can be a challenge; pharma is an industry undergoing obvious change and this is reflected in frequent reorganization and consolidation

2. Regulatory Submission Manager

I worked at AstraZeneca

Pros

Regulatory Submission Management ("SMG") department was outsourced as well as many other departments within AstraZeneca

Cons

Processes were constantly changing due to FDA rules and regulations for submission US submissions.

3. Good company to work for

Former Employee - Op Tech in Macclesfield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Op Tech in Macclesfield, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca

Pros

Benefits and wage are good

Cons

Some difficult people work there

5. Positive experience at AstraZeneca.

Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Wilmington, DE

I worked at AstraZeneca

Pros

Great incentives, fair annual reviews, opportunities for advancement, reimbursement for college/university coursework, great benefits

Cons

Work-life balance was hard to keep in balance.

6. Excellent company, but lots of work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alderley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alderley, England (UK)

I worked at AstraZeneca

Pros

Really open culture with quite a flat hierarchy. People generally want to do the right thing and while the ways of working can be long and boring, at least there are processes that are mostly being adhered to.

The top leadership is very good (Soriot really turned it around) and there was a clear direction for this company which was clearly communicated to staff. Also nice that the employee survey results are actually acted upon. The values at AZ seemed to me to be more than just meaningless words on paper.

Cons

While I was around, resources were so tightly squeezed that I was working flat out and could barely keep my head above water with work.It started to make me ill. The management had taken on a load more work and hadn't recruited more staff to keep up. We were expected for months to soldier on and also make improvements.

Allow people to move around departments more - especially people in manufacturing to go to global roles and vice versa. It is always to complain about those from another area without understanding where they are coming from.

Also if there isn't enough time in the day to do the day job, then there won't be much time for improvement work, nor much-needed fixes. Sometimes you need to invest resource (preferably not overtime) in order to improve processes.

7. On the right track

I worked at AstraZeneca

Pros

Back in Feb 2012 I thought the company was wrapping up for a cheap merger. Then a new CEO took over and I still find it hard to describe how much positive change did I see overall. Having gone through a number of CEOs in big pharma it is even peculiar to acknowledge how much transformation did Pascal Soriot bring into the picture. The move to Cambridge, UK will certainly be paying very high dividends in the mid to long run.
    From the cheap seats research scientist standpoint I seriously doubt there could be a better CEO in big pharma out there - or at a big (R&D-centric) company for that matter. I believe AZ is now sustainable in the long run, provided that Soriot remains at its helm. Otherwise, probably some tough times as for nearly anybody else in the business.

Cons

I would recommend that higher level management speeds up the process of having their vision and values being actually put into practice through all layers.

Keep, follow and empower Pascal Soriot at all costs.

8. Sales Intern

Current Intern - Sales Intern in Wilmington, DE
    Current Intern - Sales Intern in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at AstraZeneca as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Working at AstraZeneca was incredible. Even as an intern I was treated like any other person. I was encouraged to work with advertising agencies by myself developing my own concepts. I was encouraged to sit in meetings just to learn. Everyone from the team I worked with was so friendly and caring. I had an incredible time there.

Cons

Pretty much the only way to get into the company entry-level is through the traveling sales staff. Which isn't for everyone.

9. Great company to work for

I worked at AstraZeneca

Pros

Great work environment, Long term view, great investiments on people, great benefits package, inspiring Leadership Team.

Cons

The company has been facing a lot of Market challenges and has reduced the number employees.

Keep the training & development investiments to the employees.

10. Awesome company.

Current Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Specialist in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Specialist in Columbia, SC

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to interact, share ideas, and collaborate with senior leadership.

Cons

None that I can think of

Great work

11. My internship at AstraZeneca helped me gain so much experience and insight into both the pharmaceutical and commercial learning industry.

I worked at AstraZeneca

Pros

Was able to work directly with senior level managers, participate in development programs taken by all level employees, and have individual meet and greets with senior employees across multiple business functions.

Cons

I did wish there were more opportunities to be hired on full time within the commercial learning department after graduation.

Continue to give interns exposer to meet, learn and observe from senior management.