www.astrazeneca.com

Updated December 20, 2014
3.3

AstraZeneca Executive Director, CEO Pascal Soriot
Pascal Soriot

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is good with opportunity to move within the company (in 66 reviews)

• AZ IT can be very well paid with great benefits (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is suffering as additional work is piled on the few that remain (in 11 reviews)

• No rep advocates amongst senior management and very few capable FLSM's (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

AstraZeneca

Former Employee - Senior Director in Global Village (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Global Village (India)

I worked at AstraZeneca

Pros

Good people, great bonus structure

Cons

Tolerates underperformance, soft culture; lacks integrity, lots of politics

Management is expedient, lacks integrity/backbone

Very Good Experience

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Positive environment that encourages learning and career development

Cons

Extremely Dynamic changes with delay in decision making for critical decisions.

Interactive highly collaborative organisation seeking to develop professionals driven to succeed

Current Employee - Pharmacovigilance Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Pharmacovigilance Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The work life balance is highly encouraged and valued Employees are treated like the professionals they are and are trusted to complete projects to time and quality.

Cons

Pressure can be high to perform and deliver in the context of tight timelines which may prove challenging but is offset with appropriate mentoring from experienced colleagues.

Continue to provide mentors to less experienced employees and maintain flexible working hours.

From great to not so great company to work for

Former Employee - Senior HRD
    Former Employee - Senior HRD

I worked at AstraZeneca

Pros

Lot's of bright committed people eager to promote medicine ;international environment with a culture of helping others ,sharing and communication

Cons

Culture has taken a severe hit with a number of deep restructurings and the arrival of new CEO ;new CEO obviously does not trust previous leaders nor recognizes what has been achieved previously ;HR going down the drain with no more support for the business and fake values

Many years and many changes...overall like most big pharma companies, good benefits, generous vacation, bonuses ok

Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

benefits and compensation, work-life balance, i had good products to sell

Cons

management, management, management....unrealistic goals for areas with no managed care access

Astrazeneca

Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, including very good health insurance. Typical perks of big pharma company.

Cons

Managers are stressed out consistently and therefore it can be a hostile working environment. Layoffs were a constant problem and so much so that some whole teams disappeared, even managers. This created a cut-throat scenario to work in with colleagues. Bonuses were not reflective of reality.

Positive reinforcement of employees works much better than badgering them. Employees felt that it was "us against the company" because of the illogical expectations and micromanaging. No one ever felt appreciated no matter how hard you worked or how high your numbers were.

Apbs

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Environment, friendly colleagues, benefits

Cons

Process lead too manipulative, too micromanaging.

working here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westchester, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westchester, OH

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent. Work areas are clean and free of safety violations. work/life balance is good

Cons

Wages are below industry standards Management is disconnected to its work force. Opportunities for advancement is limited. Unsure about future direction of company.

Difficult work environment- AstraZeneca West Chester, OH

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH

I worked at AstraZeneca as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very nice, clean, modern facility with a great on-site café/grille. Many good people work there who genuinely care about the consumers of the diabetes medication that is produced there. The facility is large, with plenty of room to grow. The office areas have hydraulic desks which can be raised and lowered for maximum comfort while working. The plant is only a few years old and is maintained in an excellent fashion. The technology in use there is cutting edge and is very impressive.

Cons

Very little communication from departmental directors to their subordinates. I was there for over two years in a temporary position. The departmental director that I reported to seldom, if ever, spoke to me, nor did this person ever show (to me) any interest in the work that I performed. When it was necessary for me to speak to this person, I was treated like an interruption and a nuisance. I was eventually let go and my responsibilities were given to a full-time employee who was already working 45-50 hours a week. The department that I was a part of was very over-worked and very under-staffed, yet temporary workers like me were being let go because the departmental director did not want us on the budget any longer. Apparently, there was no thought given to the work load of the employees who were forced to do their own job and to take on another person's job. After being there as long as I was, I feel qualified to say that this facility is poorly managed from middle management downward, with few exceptions. I did all that they asked me for over two years- I was trying to prove myself and show my loyalty to them, but that did not matter to the decision-makers.

The on-site Operations Director is a great guy and I have no issue with him in any way. The Departmental Directors need to communicate with and listen to those who report to them- listen to their concerns and take time to learn (from them) what they do and why it matters. Hire the ones that are there and doing the work instead of letting them go and forcing other people to take on more responsibilities when they are already overworked.

Company review

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Athens (Greece)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Athens (Greece)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Reputation of the company is well established to customers.
    Variety of products that cover helath needs of a significant number of patients.
    Products that work and satify both company customers (HCPs) and patients.
    Additional benefits to employees.

Cons

Global strategy cannot be applied at local level due to environment status.
    Lack of leadership and communication within various level.
    Lack of transparecy in employees management; process in various maters is not subjective.

Act in a more fair way to employees.
    Increase professional opportunities withn the company.