Astronautics Reviews

Updated July 19, 2014
Updated July 19, 2014

2.6

Ronald E. Zelazo

Interesting work, but company policies from the fifties

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Astronautics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting aerospace projects, and your work will make a noticeable contribution.
    Balance between large projects and smaller short term ones, keeps the work fresh.
    Managers are approachable and easy to work with.
    Coworkers mostly enjoy their jobs

Cons

The neighborhood is terrible. Do not feel safe outside the building. In fact the guards have been mugged in recent past, and an employee mugging seems to happen every few months. There have been a dozen reported shootings in the last 3-4 months within a mile of the building.
    It is difficult to get the tools needed to do your job. I have been known to take work home so I can design on tools I have there, such as Visio. Recent policy is to avoid free utilities, but there is no process to acquire needed tools, like good text editors, hex editors, python, etc.
    Upper management has been traditionally tight on supplies as well. This has been loosening up in the last few years, but it can still be hard to find something as basic as a binder clip.
    Pay seems stagnant. Many folks I speak with have seen 1% raises in 4 years. Benefits are a bit skimpy.

You have a good engineering group. You need to concentrate on letting them do their job without interference and work instead on leveraging that work into new contracts.

Training should be encouraged and ongoing, not something the employee is expected to do on his time and dime.

Great for internships.

I worked at Astronautics as an intern for more than a year

Pros

They have a great family atmosphere in the office and there is always someone willing to help if you have a problem. Interns are paid well.

Cons

Work at times became mundane and slow. Upper management does not seem to have a clear direction. Little stability once projects are finished.

Just because an employee does not agree with upper management does not mean they should be punished for it. There needs to be a better method of discussing ideas other than a meeting once a week.

Astronautics

I worked at Astronautics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people in engineering. Great products to work on.

Cons

Outisde of engineering, purchasing, manufacturing, finance, HR want to create petty little fiefdoms. They are not a large company but they want to create paperwork and obstacles like they are.

Listen to your engineering department they are the best part of the organization. Ideas are difficult to sell. Too many people are in risk averse, don't rock the boat, coast mode. Even ideas that provide over 100% single year return on investment are rejected.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No 2 jobs are exactly alike makes for interesting work.

I worked at Astronautics full-time

Pros

Excellent people to work with. It's a fast pace atmosphere.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

I worked at Astronautics full-time

Pros

Made some friends who I still talk with. The layoff forced me to move out east and make real money. I enjoyed messing with them when they tried to get me back in a year after layoff.

Cons

There are so many I cannot count. Management does not believe in quality. They worry so much about money they are actually losing money due to their cheap decisions. They are in a very dangerous location and refuse to move. Incompetent people get promoted if they have a relationship with the owners or the board. They also promote young people who have no business being in management. Thus, why the products aren't any good. And, all the really good people have left, well, most of them.

Quit. Close the company. You really don't care. Stop squeezing blood out of a stone.

Smaller aeronautical company that works well.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Astronautics as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The employees are skillful and helpful. OJT is used extensively with good results. The environment is friendly but not overly friendly. The management is pragmatic and not bureaucratic.

Cons

Most of the work is software related to DO-178. If details, accuracy, and thoroughness are not your thing, this company would not be a good fit.

Keep bringing in new contracts. A better campus and parking lot situation would be a plus.

manager talked to me only once

I worked at Astronautics full-time for less than a year

Pros

I don't have anything to mention

Cons

I don't have anything to mention

please treat the consultants just like direct employees

In the most unsafe neighboorhood in Wisconsin.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Astronautics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to work on decent technology.

Cons

Someone was robbed at gunpoint on company property.
    Low pay, benefits are a joke.

Move the company to a safer location. 2/3 employees in the engineering department are interviewing at other companies that should tell you something.

Culture of cheap cheap cheap

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Astronautics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Its better than unemployment but not by much. Company has a great heritage of past business and over a half century of history.

Cons

Pay is low. The CEO has been known to tell people in interviews that X Company pays 10% too high and then magically, the offer is 10% below the prior company. IT Systems and tools are outdated and not up to industry standards. Lots of bait and switch in employment ads, presentations and the like as many of the programs/platforms mentioned are either obsolete and gone or have replaced Astronautics products with other equipment.

Hire/Fire based on merit, not relationships (social and familial).

Projects are OK, but pay, work environment and security are terrible

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Astronautics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The projects are interesting, good opportunity for the kid fresh out of college to get some experience and then move on to bigger and better things.

Cons

Pay for engineers is at the bottom of the pay scale. Benefits, 401k match are the worst I've ever seen. Location, worst neighborhoods in Milwaukee and that's saying something. A person is 3X as likely to be a victim of crime in these neighborhoods.

For starters, get the company under one roof in a decent area with parking. Raise pay and the 401k match to be competitive or you're never going to be able to retain talent.

Worked for Astronautics? Contribute to the Community!