Astronics Reviews

Peter J. Gundermann

1. HR Gun shay

Former Employee - Test Engineering Technician IV in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Test Engineering Technician IV in Kirkland, WA

Pros

Very team orientated, shared company outlook and profits with employees.

Cons

HR seams to be "Gun Shay" letting people go with slightest protraction, or not letting people go that should not have been there

Advice to Management

Investigate clams before jumping to conclusions

2. Very cool place to work

Current Employee - Assembly B in Clackamas, OR
    Current Employee - Assembly B in Clackamas, OR

I have been working at Astronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

11 paid holidays which includes a floating holiday which could be your birthday or whatever. Really good Union medical, dental and vision benefits. A very well enforced anti harassment policy with a very friendly HR department.

Cons

It being a union job...people who have been there a long time have a very little chance at being fired. I work with some hard to get along with mental types and I am a lightning rod for two of them. Being friendly with them makes me feel unnatural. Other co workers are cool.

Advice to Management

Learn who is most skilled in an area and pick their brain. We might not have gold star engineering degrees but with time comes expertise and invaluable lore about the things we work on. Please fix the archaic wording in our job sheets.

3. Sales Support

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, NH

I have been working at Astronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent location and a great schedule. Overall LSI NH has some good Managers. The CEO of the entire company is at our facility and he is approachable and will say hi if you run into him. Sort of different from the company I was at last when arrogance was the culture.

Cons

Vacation time and Money could be better. The medical benefits are not the best and if your spouse had them it would be nice to see the company put a little extra money in our check since they are saving money,

Advice to Management

Start investing in your employees. Get rid of the amount of time it takes to be vested the 401K. Allow more flex time for appointments without penalty.

5. No respect for engineers

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Redmond, WA

Pros

Redmond location is nice, building overlooks a valley with a golf course and walking trails.

Cons

Verbal assaults from management when you try to tell them that complex electronics for aircraft requires detailed testing and analysis. Arrogant managers who try to get engineers to agree that work can be done in half the time we tell them because they don't understand the complexity of their own products, then insult the engineers when the project is over budget. Really, it's so pathetic. Places like this are the reason that Dilbert cartoons exist.

Advice to Management

Keep up the nonsense so that the Dilbert cartoons can have fresh new jokes to publish.

6. Management

Pros

The management does not micromanage

Cons

They don't seem to have any planning

7. Very satisfied with work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Astronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At Astronics Test Systems in Irvine, the management is as fair and understanding as any I have worked for. They have their issues (like any company) but there is a straight-forward effort to get the job done and make sure the customer is happy. They try their best to treat the employees with as much respect as I've seen as other companies (more actually). I'm pretty happy here. Minor regrets, but honestly, they are no worse than any other company I've worked for in the last 20 years. I can't compare them to the amazing benefits of an older Boeing or similar company. But they are decent for the most part.

Cons

The health insurance costs have jumped this year (about 100% more than last year). And the health benefits have been reduced.

Advice to Management

Try to think about what you've done to decimate the great benefits of your health plan. Please don't blame it all on Obamacare. However, thank you for being so considerate of your employees and their work-life balance!

8. Quickly losing their way

Former Employee - Mid-Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Mid-Manager in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Astronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best of this company is behind them.

Cons

Damaging the culture that made them successful.

Advice to Management

Dig deeper and you'll find damage being done via the new culture.

9. Disorganized, unethical, no future in this company

Current Employee - Project Manager RF Dacs in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager RF Dacs in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Astronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None, only a matter of time before current management runs the organization into the ground. Highly unethical tyrannical top management.. Only real pro is that you will be laid off when you come to the conclusion that the organization exists only to generate false profits and real bonuses for top management.

Cons

Poor compensation, unethical management, the organization cannot survive under the weight of the current management. ERP software is a complete fabrication and millions are tied up in obsolete inventory and work in progress that only worth scrap, so no bonuses.

Advice to Management

Please quit, others are trying to make the organization viable. You have been paid enough in bonuses to live well for many years.

10. They are good at offering blame.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Astronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice location so you don't have to commute into the city. The technology is interesting to work on.

Cons

Just another aerospace company which barely stays afloat because there is just enough market demand. Decisions with the customers are made without even asking the employes because there's no respect for the employee's opinions, but then they go and brag that they are all about teamwork and operate like a happy family. Employees all know that these are HR buzzwords with no meaning. Instead of working with the customers, they feel it's better to hide product failures from the customers. The employees know why the parent company dropped them yrs ago, but don't tell the management that or you won't be a team player. You are better to focus your energy on how to hide future failures from the customers.

Advice to Management

Stop the bureaucratic nonsense and respect people for their skills

11. This company is a train wreck, the only way management tries to control costs is by hiring and firing employees.

Current Employee - Senior Cost Accountant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Cost Accountant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Astronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Potential is there if there is a change of management. Current management is only interested in reporting false profits so they can earn a bonus.

Cons

You will most likely be laid off due to loss of a customer, absolutely no ability by management to bring in new business or develop existing business lines.

Advice to Management

Recruit new management team for Test and Services in Irvine before they destroy what is left of the business.

RSS Feed </> Embed