Astronics

Updated February 22, 2015
2.7

Astronics President, CEO, and Director Peter J. Gundermann
Peter J. Gundermann

Dynamic -- for an aerospace company

Former Contractor - Consultant in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Redmond, WA

I worked at Astronics as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Astronics is a fairly small and dynamic aerospace electronics company. I enjoyed the time I spent on the project, and found the staff to be competent and open to new ideas.

Cons

None really. I was a consultant so cannot speak towards compensation, performance management, etc.

Keep on truckin.

Very satisfied with work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Astronics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At Astronics Test Systems in Irvine, the management is as fair and understanding as any I have worked for. They have their issues (like any company) but there is a straight-forward effort to get the job done and make sure the customer is happy. They try their best to treat the employees with as much respect as I've seen as other companies (more actually). I'm pretty happy here. Minor regrets, but honestly, they are no worse than any other company I've worked for in the last 20 years. I can't compare them to the amazing benefits of an older Boeing or similar company. But they are decent for the most part.

Cons

The health insurance costs have jumped this year (about 100% more than last year). And the health benefits have been reduced.

Try to think about what you've done to decimate the great benefits of your health plan. Please don't blame it all on Obamacare. However, thank you for being so considerate of your employees and their work-life balance!

Quickly losing their way

Former Employee - Mid-Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Mid-Manager in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Astronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best of this company is behind them.

Cons

Damaging the culture that made them successful.

Dig deeper and you'll find damage being done via the new culture.

Very good company to work for

Former Contractor - RealTime Embedded Software/FW Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Contractor - RealTime Embedded Software/FW Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Astronics as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Very good company to work for, great environment, great people, great projects.

Cons

As with any high tech company, deadlines are the problem

None, doing a good job.

Disorganized, unethical, no future in this company

Current Employee - Project Manager RF Dacs in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager RF Dacs in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Astronics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None, only a matter of time before current management runs the organization into the ground. Highly unethical tyrannical top management.. Only real pro is that you will be laid off when you come to the conclusion that the organization exists only to generate false profits and real bonuses for top management.

Cons

Poor compensation, unethical management, the organization cannot survive under the weight of the current management. ERP software is a complete fabrication and millions are tied up in obsolete inventory and work in progress that only worth scrap, so no bonuses.

Please quit, others are trying to make the organization viable. You have been paid enough in bonuses to live well for many years.

They are good at offering blame.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Astronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice location so you don't have to commute into the city. The technology is interesting to work on.

Cons

Just another aerospace company which barely stays afloat because there is just enough market demand. Decisions with the customers are made without even asking the employes because there's no respect for the employee's opinions, but then they go and brag that they are all about teamwork and operate like a happy family. Employees all know that these are HR buzzwords with no meaning. Instead of working with the customers, they feel it's better to hide product failures from the customers. The employees know why the parent company dropped them yrs ago, but don't tell the management that or you won't be a team player. You are better to focus your energy on how to hide future failures from the customers.

Stop the bureaucratic nonsense and respect people for their skills

This company is a train wreck, the only way management tries to control costs is by hiring and firing employees.

Current Employee - Senior Cost Accountant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Cost Accountant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Astronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Potential is there if there is a change of management. Current management is only interested in reporting false profits so they can earn a bonus.

Cons

You will most likely be laid off due to loss of a customer, absolutely no ability by management to bring in new business or develop existing business lines.

Recruit new management team for Test and Services in Irvine before they destroy what is left of the business.

Not the place to be without a degree.Long term experienced employees make the same as much less experienced employees.

I have been working at Astronics (more than 10 years)

Pros

Weekends off.Every other week is a three day weekend,modified schedule.

Cons

Working with a variety of personalities,disturbances and nuisances aren't addressed.Lack of leadership on a cellular level.

Bitter Aftertaste

Former Employee - Technician in East Aurora, NY
    Former Employee - Technician in East Aurora, NY

I worked at Astronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Production management - AKA "Team Leaders" were, for the most part, incredible. Technical and challenging work (mileage will vary *significantly* based on department). Nice location with a spacious parking lot and adequate facilities.

Cons

A downright degrading work environment with middle to executive-level management treating the majority of employees like incompetents. Pay is laughable. Rigidity in scheduling, accommodations, and even the "workspace configuration" (i.e. you might receive a written warning for having your isopropyl alcohol on the left-hand side of your workstation, rather than on the right-hand side of your work station). Trivial infractions (2 minutes late, stepping aside to make a phone call, forgetting to punch out on lunch, etc.) often result in a good ole fashion spanking. The conservative, old fashioned, productivity-driven management style might work for those who require a firm hand, but for the majority of capable folks, it's a bit sadomasochistic.

I offered it (with a constructive intent, I might add) during my exit interview; they argued with everything I had to say.

Lots of opportunity to contribute

I have been working at Astronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supports lifestyle balance, nice facility, people friendly, caring senior management, information is readily available, open door policy , generous bonus program

Cons

opportunity rich issues to be resolved, organization of key functions doesn't facilitate changes needed in certain areas- too many different ways to manage new programs

reorganize to unify company wide disciplines like engineering srv/drafting

Astronics Photos