Asurion

www.asurion.com

Asurion Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Steve Ellis

Pros
  • Great work from home environment, lots of support available, great for someone who needs a "hobby job"(in 16 reviews)

• The company has great trainers and coaches and is fast paced and lots to learn(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, external training opportunities or ability to go to conferences(in 21 reviews)

• No work life balance - bu t they don't pretend to have any either, so at least they are transparent(in 9 reviews)

Sr. Analyst

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsAsurion is a great place to work with lots of growth opportunities. I believe I"m getting more exposure/experience than I would at any other company.

ConsI don't have any cons to list.

Great Culture! Great Company! Great People!

ProsHigh pace environment with tremendous company growth. Very fast paced company with a tremendous amount of opportunity to learn and grow. You can have a direct contribution to the company's growth. The people that you work with are absolutely amazing! A highly collaborative environment.

ConsIt can be a very demanding environment but that is also part of what makes it a great place to work. The pace and level of change are not for everyone so you should take those things into consideration before applying.

Tough sell

ProsThe pay is decent. I have been with the company for almost 8 years and my role has changed numerous times.

ConsGrowing and changing company, so depending on the direction they are going this month... you never know. Good benefits, decent pay. Leadership tries to be transparent, but not convinced of that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad

ProsWork with the worlds largest retail clients. Great experience and run by smart people

ConsThey are cutting back significantly on employee benefits - pinching pennies

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your employees aren't slave drivers... Give them some recognition every now and then

Acting Supervisor

Acting Supervisor (Current Employee)

Prosrewarded and recognized for top performance. flexible work hours.

ConsHire internal candidates in "acting" position which give the company the ability to not hire you and send you back to the previous role.

Advice to Senior Managementworkload is extreme and pay is low.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Don't bother

Customer Service Tech (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThey offer a great benefits package and spend an adequate time training their employees

ConsTypical call center. You are not truly valued as an employee. They tend to treat you like a cookie on the conveyor belt. If you do not meet specification, ie have a life outside of the job, then they toss you. There is a lot of talk about promoting you after a year but it sounds rather lofty and difficult to attain anything other then baby steps and meager increases in pay unless you are in sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not ask people if they can be available 24/7. People have children and lives. HR can work a little harder to find the best training/work schedule for each employee.
    Do not suggest that a single parent making $12-13/hr that they should get a nanny in order to satisfy your assigned work schedule-we can't afford it. This is unrealistic and rude.

Lots of good.. lots of room to improve..

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

Pros+ Very lenient PTO / WFH policy.

Cons+ Disconnected leadership
    + Insane amount of bureaucracy
    + Outdated management policies
    + Old school management policies get in the way of growth potential

Advice to Senior Management+ The company does an outstanding job at recruiting top talent.. but management cannot get out of their own way to let the talent help the company
    + Do what you say; say what you do
    + Culture goes beyond printing a few words on the back of a "values" card

This Applies Only to the Directv Work at Home Program

Directv Work At Home Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

Pros1. Work from home- save on gas, save on clothes, don't need to care about how you look, and there are few socially awkward moments- there is no way to have cliques when you work from home and all your coworkers look like a smiley face emoticon as far as you can tell, so nobody judges you on the superficial. Your coworkers and supervisors for the most part are cool.

2. Great insurance and benefits. This is good because you will need great insurance to pay for all of your psychiatrist bills and high blood pressure problems because of your non-stop stress.

3. Free Directv service. You just rent your receiver for $6 a month.

4. Generous time off opportunities, both paid and unpaid.

Cons1. You are grossly underpaid. Do not sign up for this job unless you think that making 9-10 dollars an hour is worth being constantly stressed out. They will tell you, that you can make extra money through achieving your stat goals but this does not come easy unless you are super-human, and if you are, why do you want a job that makes 9 dollars an hour anyway? There is overtime but frankly you could not pay me enough to have to do this for any longer than I absolutely have to.

2. Non-stop stress. The stats you have to make are humanly impossible unless you think that remembering to say 20 things in a 10 minute phone call is easy, and unless you don't mind rushing sweet little old ladies in walkers across the room to troubleshoot, since the elderly are the bulk of your callers. This I believe is actually Directv's fault, they are always threatening to end Asurion's contract with them. Apparently they believe that humans can be programmed to never forget things and behave like robots. They actually nit-pick about things as trivial as using the customer's name three times per call. Most quality monitors seem like they are searching for even the smallest reason to grade your call poorly. Then they send your stats out to the whole team so everybody can see how terrible you are doing. It seems like the worse your stats the more the customers like you and vice versa, because you have to sacrifice customer happiness to make these numbers. Nobody wants to talk to a robot or feel rushed. So the one consolation is that if you do terrible on your regular stats, at least you probably excel on your customer surveys.

3. No peace of mind about job security. Even when the entire call center is doing terrible they will not grade on a curve, they will just keep threatening to fire you instead. I actually think that the stats are impossible on purpose, as some think a culture where the workers are constantly stressed and told they are on the verge of being fired will drive results. I think that if we could just be happy we'd do a lot better as we wouldn't have non-stop feelings of anxiety that interfere with our productivity.

4. You have to be willing to be mindless and annoying. Again this is Directv's fault for allowing little deviation from those robotic scripts. Forget about using your intellect or discretion. You are mandated to read from generalized scripts that sometimes make you appear stupid to your customer or like you are not listening. For example, Ms. Jones calls and tells you that she's had a snowy screen ever since her dog sat on her remote. You must ignore the apparent root cause, "button pressed on remote" and start with asking Ms. Jones to make sure that the cables running from the receiver to the television are not loose. Ms. Jones will get annoyed because she feels that you did not listen to her since you want her to check the cables first, rather than start with the remote. And even if you feel that a customer needs to do a specific thing to resolve their issue, if it is not on the robotic script you are required to read, you are forbidden from mentioning it. The customer must remain frustrated or you might get a warning. So while Directv cares about keeping their customers, they don't care enough to release us from having to be robots and give them more human-like, customized service that might actually make the customer happy instead of annoyed. And this is why the customers start screaming in frustration.

First of all I just want to say that my issues are more with the Work at Home Directv program than with Asurion as a company. They are not a bad company. Neither is Directv but their customer service guidelines have got to be changed. Then not only would the employees be happier but the customers too. They also need to admit to themselves that 11 minutes on a technical trouble shooting calls where many customers are elderly (i.e. more apt to have issues moving quickly) is just not enough time. And finally, get rid of all of those "musts" that we get graded down for if we don't do. Ms. Jones is not going to think Directv is great if I've said her name 3 times but have aggravated her by appearing to have ignored the root cause of her issue and had her take unnecessary steps to not resolve it.

Bottom Line: Do not be lured into the "work at home" temptation unless you have emotions of steel and don't mind annoying customers or pushing them off the phone in a jiffy, and are a person that hardly ever feels annoyed or stressed. Even though you are safe in your house physically, emotionally you are on the front lines of a hopeless battle.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you can't help Directv's impossible guidelines but please stop giving out so many warnings on performance. We all know these are ridiculous standards to be held up to for the average human. I know you are worried about losing the contract with Directv but stress only makes them less productive. They are doing the best they can for very little money trying to achieve what is basically impossible to achieve.

Helps pay the bills.

ProsI like the fact you can work a lot of overtime in a time of need. You can make way more than your base pay. They also have good bonuses.

ConsCustomer service can be stressful. Company is a third party insurance company for other companies so there is a lot miscommunication. Especially with stubborn customers that don't read their policy. Management also is not good. You gotta kiss butt to be promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are not robots treat us like human beings.

Poor quality of training

Customer Service Representative W@H (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsIts ok for a transition to work there but from home

ConsI wish that the trainers would not rush trough the training like they did.
    Trainers not very friendly and it appears that they were not very professional

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Asurion? Contribute to the Community!