Asurion Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
406 reviews filtered by
3.2
Kevin Taweel

Pros
  • I will not leave the company nor change it for no reason did I mention I can work from home (in 29 reviews)

• Pretty good work-life balance, but you have to manage this yourself (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, external training opportunities or ability to go to conferences (in 26 reviews)

• No work-life balance, no schedule flexibility, very rigid attendance policy (in 13 reviews)

1. Senior Director, Customer Experience & Product Mgt

Former Employee - Senior Director in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Nashville, TN

I worked at Asurion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talented people
    Growing company
    Ability to move functional teams within the company

Cons

Big company - 16,000 - so can be hard to get things done
    Demanding culture
    Top-down management structure

2. i like it here. great experience, if you word your resume correctly.;

I have been working at Asurion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you truly get the help you need in performing greatly on your job. supervisors are very attentive. the atomposphere is very young.

Cons

sometimes it could take a while before being promoted. the key is to apply for positions as soon as they are posted, which is the case in most positions.

3. Customer Service Rep.( work from home)

I worked at Asurion full-time

Pros

Company offered great benefits, flexible schedule. There was also opportunity for advancement for those who worked hard to meet and exceed the company's goals and metrics. Employees also had access to many perks, rewards, and discounts.

Cons

Training was inconsistent at times due to having so many different trainers at once. Seemed each one had his/her own way of doing things. The wage was low compared to the nature of the job. Customer's survey greatly impacts your performance metrics, even if customer says that they appreciate everything you've done to help them, but then uses the survey to gripe about the product/service.

Advice to Management

Update your customer survey to reflect if the customer is upset about the representative who helped them or if the customer is just upset about the "situation" that prompted the call in the first place, AKA...root cause.

Fast-paced, energizing work

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Asurion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is fast-paced and ever-changing. There is an entrepreneurial feel about the company where managers allow employees to take charge of their work responsibilities as long as they are meeting their goals and KPIs.

Cons

The workload is pretty daunting. Receiving approval to increase headcout is an uphill battle... burn out is quite possible early on.

6. Premier Support Technician

I have been working at Asurion full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, monthly bonuses based on your stats

Cons

No sick days. PTO is earned. When you are late or call out it uses what is in your PTO bank.

Advice to Management

Give people sick days. If I have the flu I shouldn't be penalized or miss out on potential bonus for something I have no control over.

Great environment for tech support!

Current Employee - Premier Support Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Premier Support Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Asurion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Asurion provides a great place for tech support. Employees are treated fairly, coaches/managers are very good to be around and take calls with, and the company is open to a wide variely of skill sets. You can come in either with tech knowledge or customer service knowledge, and the company will provide you with resources to complement the skill you don't have. (You have access to a "customer service" oriented coach for those who are technical but not customer service oriented, or a "tech lead" if you have customer service experience but no tech knowledge.) It's a very good setup, and it rewards performance. People need this sort of hand-holding tech support service, especially older or less tech-savvy people, and companies like Asurion are going to be around for a long time. Job security!

Asurion's culture is excellent. They have the right attitude towards technology, and Asurion prides itself in always being there to help people. You will regularly get the opportunity to really help people, and get them out of technical problems. Rarely will you get off a shift feeling lousy. You might be exhausted, but you'll know you have been saving Grandma's baby pictures, and getting people's new iPhones activated, and making sense of technology when it breaks on people. It's definitely a worthwhile thing to be doing with your time. You can be helping the world progress technologically, if even in a small way.

Cons

Very little opportunity for advancement after a new call enter opens and all positions are filled. Higher up positions are very cozy and well paying, so there is very little turnover in higher positions, and very little opportunity to move up due to this. Asurion is opening new centers, but they are beginning to saturate the Verizon customer base, due to aggressive marketing by store reps, so fewer new centers will be needed. Asurion also currently services ATT and Sprint, which may make one or two new centers necessary but soon the steam will run out on new growth.

Base pay for phone reps is a solid 30k, which is not bad, but don't expect to make any more than that ever unless you get in on the ground floor of a new center, or claw your way up to a nonexistent open managerial position. Turnover is sky high, but that's just due to people burning out on phones. I've been there almost 2 years and have never seen an employee get mistreated. People get fired for 2 reasons: a) they stop showing up, or b) they mouth off to a customer on the phone. This is a position with high burnout rate, but high satisfaction while you are there, if that makes sense.

Also, Asurion insurance does not send out brand new phones, that would make the business model unsustainable. They send out refurbish phones most of the time. 8 times out of 10, these refusbish phones are just fine and you can't tell the difference from new. But the other 2/10 times, they are complete trash. And you will get calls from angry people about how they paid $100 to get their broken phone replaced, and got garbage. Fortunately, when this happens, they get another one sent out for free so it's not a big deal, but you will get angry customers sometimes.

Worst part is 0 upward mobility. Too many higher ups that have nowhere higher to go, and no reason to go anywhere else becuase it's a good place to be. If I could have a chance of moving up I would probably be staying with this company longer term. I have to leave because there's no way for me to get to a real IT position here, but it has been a good springboard position.

Advice to Management

Everything you are doing has been phenomenal. The current direction the company is taking is a very good one, but don't count on sustained growth. There are only so many more people that don't have smartphones (not too many!), and out of those people, only so many more can be signed up, and that pool is running out. Be careful opening new centers, don't overshoot.

If I could make one change, I would toss the CRT metric, or at least toss it for long calls. This position often involves taking care of elderly people, or doing lengthly LogMeIn sessions for iPhone restores, or both, and this can lead to long calls. CRT in this position punishes providing premier service in these cases, and instead promotes getting people off the line fast. In some cases, that's what people want is a quick call. But, in others, it's not. Also, please communicate better to the users that the Asurion phones they get are under warranty so people don't call back in angry that they got a junk refurbish phone, and instead just call back in to calmly request another refurb phone for free.

Also, this is just a pet peeve, but the current TL structure needs a revamp. Current chat room setup is not bad, but it encourages very short, clipped answers rather than in-depth help. Hire more TLs (hint, hint) and let them do walk-ups. That would be extremely helpful.

More than that, you have a great company on your hands, that you can take real pride in. Keep it that way. Thanks for giving me a good place to be for the last 2 years, I really appreciate it.

8. Risk Analyst - Love my job, love the company

Current Employee - Risk Management in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Risk Management in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Asurion

Pros

Great work life balance, surrounded by highly intelligent people in Program Management. I really don't think we have a weakest link. It is highly collaborative and the managers are really supportive of professional development. it can be high stress, but I have learned more here than in any other role.

Cons

Office politics are a little ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Operate less like a high school and more like a business, with less emphasis on who got their mbas from an ivy league school versus who actually exceeds expectations in their job role.

9. Recruiter

I have been working at Asurion full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for, relaxed environment and fun place to work! On site gym

Cons

nothing that I can think of

10. Premier Solutions Support Technician

I worked at Asurion

Pros

great place to work and organized and structured training class.

Cons

shift bid time changes for every 3 months.

Advice to Management

continue to stay up-to-date on all management training.

Work at home

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Asurion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good and thorough training

Cons

Management needs to be more interactive with employees

Advice to Management

Make sure you explain details with employees on all benefits, schedule adherence, peformance, pay, etc.