Asynchrony

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Asynchrony General Manager Bob Elfanbaum

Bob Elfanbaum

I love this place.

User Experience/UI Designer (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsAccessible upper management, flat hierarchy by design, teams are self organized and self managed, no need for PM's as everyone is responsible for the quality of the execution, EVERYONE matters. Your career growth is completely in your own hands at Asynchrony. Though there is not traditional ladder climbing, you can excel and take on leadership roles on teams if you can prove yourself.

ConsThere are very few cons to working at Asynchrony. The pay and health benefits are really really great, but PTO, 401k, etc are all pretty bad. Downward pressure on management from parent company is at times very obvious and has lead to some poor decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the things that have made Asynchrony a great place to work and don't let outside or internal influences pressure you into changing. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

pays well, work can be rewarding

Saint Louis, MO

ProsPair programming, TDD, user stories, automated UATs, free soda, strong coworkers, work life balance, top notch health benefits

Conspeople with strong opinions, no career path, 401k is crap, nasty grams about reporting hours ;)

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees opportunities to grow.

Pretty good place

Senior Developer (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat culture. Most teams are really fun, laid back, and friendly. Great work/life balance. Better than average benefits. Overall I would definitely recommend.

ConsThe structure is so flat, that there is no career growth as a developer, in terms of position or title.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think some teams would work better if management put a little more though into choosing members with similar and/or complimentary personalities. Some developers, even when great individually, simply don't work well together.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

ProsEnvironment, people, commitment to excellence, overall intelligence

Constime off policies, opportunities for growth

Awesome Place To Work

Saint Louis, MO

ProsPeople are great, pair programming, the design team is very talented, some of the smartest people I've ever met work here.

ConsThere are no cons here.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let Shaffer kill the amazing company you've built.

Fun company with many opportunities for talented developers.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsBeing a rockstar here means better project placement, reasonable in-office perks with some of the best minds in the area. Exceptional health benefits.

ConsNo 401K matching, politicking is starting to rear its ugly head causing talent drain.

Good company, little salary

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee)

ProsVery nice environment
    Experienced workmates
    Agile since the start

ConsBesides every good point, the company's offerings as salary was not matching what I had in mind. Even after receiving a job offer the salary did not follow the market's average.

Not made for Juniors, but phenomenal company.

Saint Louis, MO

ProsPhenomenal workplace atmosphere is a war room -- no walls or cubicles. Management is incredibly approachable. Great place to get experience as a junior as you work with persons of all experience levels, and switch out frequently enough.

ConsGreat healthcare is awesome if you have a family. Not junior engineer friendly. Not balanced against a 401k matching.
    Low entry level pay.

Great Agile Development Company with Evil Overlords

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAgile projects that are run by Asynchrony are the best. Developers are able to work on all levels from automated testing, requirement gathering, customer interaction, provisioning and internally managing the team.

ConsFor profitability, employees are sent to Scott Air Force Base, which is as agile as an arthritic elephant with diarrhea. The parent company is not good at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont send newbies to SAFB and rotate people out of the base unless they prefer to be there, your retention will be higher

Flag Review
    Asynchrony Chief Technology Officer responded to this review Oct 29, 2013 EditDelete
    Thanks for the positive comments! (And the negative ones; I got a good chuckle from your review.)

Also appreciate the advice; it's been almost two years since we had retention issues with our
    ... More

Even the frustrating days are still pretty awesome.

Saint Louis, MO

ProsI've worked in a number of different environments all around Saint Louis and far and away Asynchrony takes the cake.
    First and foremost it is a company full of smart people who are genuinely committed to building the best software and best company they can. This is fostered and encouraged by management, who really believe what they say. As a whole the company is as dedicated to and invested in Agile, TDD, Pair programming and all the bells and whistles. That is not to say that a particular methodology is or isn't allowed, rather that there is a shared philosophy and belief in Agile as a building block of great software. Asynchrony is very open to letting people find the path that they thinks works best for them and their team and letting them run with it.

On the more tangible side, the office itself is amazing. Open, laid back and ready for you to make of it what you will. Never mind that the location next to Busch Stadium, upstairs from the Flying Saucer and minutes from lunch interludes at the City Garden and The Arch.

ConsThe aforementioned 'openness to letting people find the path' can often be interpreted as lack of involvement from management. I think it takes the right mindset to understand a rather unique management point of view and recognize that it's not the normal status quo.
    There is also a very flat management structure which from a traditional point of view can seem to limit advancement. If your goal is to gain title and underlings, then you will likely be displeased at Asynchrony. Even the traditional 'team lead' role is very fluid: one project you are the lead, the next you're a team member. The idea of success here is the opportunity to work on new, different and exciting projects, to be a thought leader and to get to refine your skills into craftsmanship

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like more and more communication. With our flat structure and culture built on personal responsibility rather than prescriptive management I see people who find themselves confused and or feeling lost when then come into the company expecting the traditional work environment. The more we can level set expectations about the great things that differentiate us from the rest of the crowd they more people can view things in the light they are intended.

Worked for Asynchrony? Contribute to the Community!

Asynchrony – Why Work for Us?

We specialize in application development, mobile computing, systems and sensor integration, enterprise architecture, and tactical collaboration. Our Vision and Trajectory Asynchrony is an information technology… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Asynchrony reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Asynchrony CEO Bob Elfanbaum . All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Asynchrony employees.