Asynchrony

Asynchrony General Manager Bob Elfanbaum
Bob Elfanbaum

Believe the hype

I have been working at Asynchrony

Pros

If you look at the reviews posted on Glassdoor, you'd be inclined to think that management is coercing its employees into leaving positive feedback. Not true! The employees who work for Asynchrony absolutely love it, and for good reason: I feel valued and taken seriously, and the potential for professional growth seems limitless here. Upper management treats the employees as individuals with unique strengths, perspectives, and interests, rather than as a burden on profit or a disposable resource. This is a company that values intellectual curiosity and personal autonomy.

Cons

For me, there are no cons -- it's not heaven on Earth because the company is still staffed by human beings. But I think it's absolutely as good as any person can reasonably expect. I will say that if you're a person who is not interested in immersing yourself in new technology, if you prefer a more traditional office environment, or if you just kind of want to disappear into a cubicle for forty hours a week and be forgotten, you should probably look elsewhere. There is an expectation that everyone actively participate. In my opinion, that is a good thing, but also not for everyone.

As the company continues to grow, every new step brings a certain amount of jitters. I think most people have the experience of seeing a good work environment go bad. I'm supportive of upcoming changes, but make sure to be very protective of Asynchrony's current culture and values, which are part of the reason we're so successful.

Summer Intern

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Asynchrony as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pair programming, Agile and awesome office with a great view.

Cons

No sponsorship to International student.

They some of the best developers in St. Louis

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will have the opportunity to learn a lot. Fully agile shop, meaning they use short iterations, testing driven development, and pairing.

Cons

If you don't like agile, you won't be happy there.

Excellent

Current Intern - Summer Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Intern - Summer Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pure Agile, Pair programming, Friendly atmosphere, Office

Cons

Doesn't sponsor to International students

Looking for a place where you continually learn more each day from people who love to share knowledge, Asynchrony is it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company does believe in and practice the Agile way of doing business with all their clients. It is an awesome work environment where pair programming is in evidence as well as daily standups, a variety of kanban boards for all teams, and weekly Retrospectives.
    The programmers, developers, designers and quality assurance positions are all represented by a diverse age and ethnic makeup.

Cons

Be prepared to be challenged by very bright software engineers who are not satisfied with just doing what is required. They have skin in the game and they strive to do it right the first time.
    Very hard interview process used to weed out the ones who have been able to 'fake it' in their previous employments.

Keep doing what you are doing to attract the best and the brightest talent.

Good place to start out

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company is very big into learning. They offer a lot of opportunities for their developers/QA to try new technologies and new ways of building software. Employees are allowed to switch between projects that vary between mobile and web and work with some great devs in all tech stacks.

Cons

While they are big on learning, they do not seem to reward learning. The only real way for people to advance themselves in the company is to become team leads. From what I saw, the leads might have been decent devs at one point but they become disconnected from the development process and their skills dulled. Teams seem to do the best when their leads and leadership in general were less involved.

Management needs to reward the values they seem to promote in the company. The flat hierarchy seems nice at first but there's no way that four principles can accurately manage the company as big as it currently is.

Asynchrony Response

Feb 3, 2015Chief Technology Officer

Thanks for the review and for recommending us, and if you’ve been here more than eight years I can imagine you know us pretty well. There’s probably not much that I could say that you haven’t ... More

This job is awesome! I often look forward to work.

Current Employee - Frontend Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Frontend Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work is innovative, interesting and the work space is great! I'm a big fan of the hands off leadership and feel that a lot more quality work is done here as opposed to past employers who weren't as hands off. Benefits are first rate, exactly what I was looking for and expect from a company of this caliber. There's also a large amount of mobility. If ever I'm looking for a change up of what I'm working on, that's something available to me. Also, they do monthly board game nights which is just one of the many groups organized within the company.

Cons

I think the only thing I'd change is my commute. But that's sort of specific to me. They also didn't have a matching 401k. But now they do so... That's no longer a con.

Continue to be awesome?

Incredibly professional and flexible with candidates.

I have been working at Asynchrony

Pros

I can only speak a job candidate, but Asynchrony was willing to work with me as I evaluated offers. They were completely professional and understanding. The only reason I did not accept their offer was because of my desire to move out of the state. Good people, good culture.

Cons

None, from a candidate point of view.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Asynchrony full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Asynchrony is a great place to work. They do Agile right, which has a big focus on people. They've got lots of smart people, working on interesting projects. Teams are generally small and self-managing. There's almost zero politics or corporate BS.

Cons

Some of the project managers aren't so great. Same for a few of the managers. More importantly, the management structure is so flat that it's sometimes hard to find a manager to help resolve an issue.

Customer collaboration is usually lacking, despite it being one of the 4 Agile values.

They seem to have some trouble retaining their best employees.

Work on retaining your top employees. This will probably mean charging customers more.

Pay more attention to management issues. Some of the project managers aren't great. Team members have almost no way to express that, and there's often no managers around to help resolve issues.

I work at Asynchrony

Current Employee - Team Lead in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- They're concerned as much, if not more about aptitude than skill.
     - You'll be interviewed by people who know what they're talking about.
     - Health benefits are top notch. You do not need to worry if you break your leg or get sick ... it's not going to break the bank.
     - Agile ... it's not just a word that get's thrown around ... they believe it, they teach it, and they do it. Not just developers, but everyone.
     - You'll learn more at Asynchrony in a few months than you'll learn anywhere else in a year.
     - Approachable management
     - Their actions reflect that care about employees.
     - I've worked at many companies, but I truly hope this is the last company I ever work for.

Cons

- No, they don't have 401k match, but IMO the health benefits more than make up for it.
     - I honestly have nothing negative to say about Asynchrony.

- Management is approachable, but I'd like to see some of them mingle a bit more with employees ... just come around occasionally and talk to the teams for a few minutes. I can tell you that for some members of my team, that would be a memorable positive experience.