Asynchrony

Updated December 3, 2014
4.7

Asynchrony General Manager Bob Elfanbaum
Bob Elfanbaum

This job is awesome! I often look forward to work.

Current Employee - Frontend Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Frontend Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work is innovative, interesting and the work space is great! I'm a big fan of the hands off leadership and feel that a lot more quality work is done here as opposed to past employers who weren't as hands off. Benefits are first rate, exactly what I was looking for and expect from a company of this caliber. There's also a large amount of mobility. If ever I'm looking for a change up of what I'm working on, that's something available to me. Also, they do monthly board game nights which is just one of the many groups organized within the company.

Cons

I think the only thing I'd change is my commute. But that's sort of specific to me. They also didn't have a matching 401k. But now they do so... That's no longer a con.

Continue to be awesome?

Incredibly professional and flexible with candidates.

I have been working at Asynchrony

Pros

I can only speak a job candidate, but Asynchrony was willing to work with me as I evaluated offers. They were completely professional and understanding. The only reason I did not accept their offer was because of my desire to move out of the state. Good people, good culture.

Cons

None, from a candidate point of view.

I work at Asynchrony

Current Employee - Team Lead in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- They're concerned as much, if not more about aptitude than skill.
     - You'll be interviewed by people who know what they're talking about.
     - Health benefits are top notch. You do not need to worry if you break your leg or get sick ... it's not going to break the bank.
     - Agile ... it's not just a word that get's thrown around ... they believe it, they teach it, and they do it. Not just developers, but everyone.
     - You'll learn more at Asynchrony in a few months than you'll learn anywhere else in a year.
     - Approachable management
     - Their actions reflect that care about employees.
     - I've worked at many companies, but I truly hope this is the last company I ever work for.

Cons

- No, they don't have 401k match, but IMO the health benefits more than make up for it.
     - I honestly have nothing negative to say about Asynchrony.

- Management is approachable, but I'd like to see some of them mingle a bit more with employees ... just come around occasionally and talk to the teams for a few minutes. I can tell you that for some members of my team, that would be a memorable positive experience.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Asynchrony full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Asynchrony is a great place to work. They do Agile right, which has a big focus on people. They've got lots of smart people, working on interesting projects. Teams are generally small and self-managing. There's almost zero politics or corporate BS.

Cons

Some of the project managers aren't so great. Same for a few of the managers. More importantly, the management structure is so flat that it's sometimes hard to find a manager to help resolve an issue.

Customer collaboration is usually lacking, despite it being one of the 4 Agile values.

They seem to have some trouble retaining their best employees.

Work on retaining your top employees. This will probably mean charging customers more.

Pay more attention to management issues. Some of the project managers aren't great. Team members have almost no way to express that, and there's often no managers around to help resolve issues.

I Love Working Here

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I never have a morning where I say that I don't feel like going to work at Asynchrony. They know how to do Agile right and give people the freedom to work without micromanagement. I am able to create change on my team without going through levels of hierarchy. The open bullpens promote such a collaborative atmosphere. It really feels like family. We as employees are treated well. The salaries are competitive. The company does not skimp on off-site meetings or with the annual summer picnic and holiday party. The professional development department does a good job of helping people find their niche and connecting people when they start. It is an awesome place to work. Did I mention free Cardinal game parking at the employee garage?

Cons

I wish there was more paid time off. I also would like to see company-sponsored training to grow the skills of employees.

Keep on doing what you're doing. We love being a part of it.

Best experience of my career so far

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Extremely talented peers
    Culture of honesty and transparency
    Opportunity to work on bleeding edge technology
    Opportunity to switch projects if you do not like the one you are on or it gets old
    Almost flat management structure. You report to the owners directly, and individuals swap in and out of leadership positions.
    Deep culture - everything from company sponsored labs, friday day happy hours, game nights, softball team ... etc.

Cons

Given my experiences in software prior to this (e.g. cubes, unrealistic deadlines, non-technical management, office politics) I'm having a hard time coming up with cons worth mentioning.

Best devs I've worked with in St. Louis.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Asychrony has a very open atmosphere that promotes a lot of communication and idea sharing. The dynamic there has attracted a lot of talented developers so you feel like you can learn from just about everyone there. If you stay there long enough (and you want to), you'll work on just about every platform out there (iOS, Android, .NET, Rails, Node.js, J2EE). Great place to grow as a developer if you're serious about your craft.

Cons

Asynchrony is growing fairly rapidly and thus is experiencing some growing pains. A lot administrative problems come from not having to deal with a company as large as they have become. I'll be interested in how they solve these issues as they continue to grow.

Let the teams continue to be autonomous. Asynchrony's strength came from putting power in the hands of the developers. Recent trends have been to introduce less of a flat business hierarchy. Need to ensure that the new middle management doesn't interfere with the teams abilities to take chances, to fail and learn from mistakes, and grow in other ways than just dev skills.

Incredible Company

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The old adage of, "Hire good people and get out of their way" is the key to Asynchrony's success. I feel rejuvenated as a designer. After working at an ad agency for 5+ years, I had no idea what a good environment was actually like. There is a host of talented people and the environment not only allows but encourages great work – what a novel idea! Hours are amazing (family is a company value so little OT and hours are flexible when necessary) and the talent level is extremely high. The companies goes to great length to prevent knowledge silos as well, so it's a great place to expand knowledge and develop new skills.

Cons

It's not a place to have your hand held, so it could be difficult for rule followers or professional just out of school to find their way. The mentorship program is helpful, but if full-time employees are expected to be very good at what they do. This is an environment of self-starters so maybe not something everyone is attracted to.

Keep doing what you're doing! The only request is to have more vacation days allotted. Earning three weeks vacation at another job then going back down to two is disheartening.

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Learning environment - If I had to pick one thing to keep me at Asynchrony, this would be it. Ability to use cutting edge technologies is encouraged and you learn so much from pair programming.
    - Work/Life Balance - Overtime is not encouraged and rarely needed. 40 hour weeks and no guilt about going home.
    - Agile environment - TDD, Pair Programming, Continuous Integration, Retrospectives, Self Organizing teams (it appears I just listed as many buzz words as possible but these things are all VERY important to Asynchrony as a company).
    - Relaxed work environment - Jeans/T-shirts, even shorts in summer.
    - War room work environment - Allows for constant collaboration with coworkers and you are always somewhat aware of what other teams are doing.
    - Benefits - Health insurance, unlimited soda, downtown parking.
    - Flat management structure - Executive management knows most everyone by name and stops to say hi and see how projects are going, there is no intimidation factor.
    - Changing projects - Some projects are short which means you will get to work with many different people on many different types of projects, great way to learn!
    - Quarterly company meetings - Very transparent.
    - Summer/Holiday Parties - Summer is a family event (City Museum, picnic in the park, etc) and winter is a holiday party. The company goes out of their way to ensure employees have some fun events to attend.

Cons

- Lack of female developers. Lowest ratio I've ever encountered.
    - Benefits - No 401k match, not much PTO (though these things are being looked at currently).
    - No room for "promotion" - this isn't important to me, but some aren't happy until they have a title that is higher than "Software Engineer" so it is something to note.

- Recruit female developers, please.

A true Agile Shop with endless possibilities.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Asynchrony full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good rate of work.
    -Fast turn around times for new features.
    -Company training
    -Good atmosphere
    -Internal promotions

Cons

- Pay is fair but not amazing
    - Benefits are reasonable
    - Yearly wage increases might not match yearly inflation.

Maintain communication of the companies goals / direction across all teams.