AtHoc

Updated January 3, 2015
Updated January 3, 2015
3.5

Guy Miasnik

Great spot for someone who likes a challenge.

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Genuine employees.
    Strong team bonds.
    Product that saves lives.
    Plenty of room for innovation and creativity.
    Highly experienced management.
    Flexible work hours.
    Free meals.
    Full benefits.

Cons

Seriousness of the product can lead to high pressure to perform.
    Several layers of approval on given projects.
    Poor communication on tasks.
    Many rush projects.

Invest more in your employee's happiness.

Great job if you like long hours, no family life and being regularly thrown under the bus

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at AtHoc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food which is also a con because management believes there is no longer a reason for you to leave your desk and get out of the office.

Cons

You'll spend more time fixing bad code that someone broke years ago than coding anything new and exciting. There is no routine day at AtHoc, you just swerve from time consuming crisis to time consuming crisis with leadership totally absent.

You can't give advice to people who already think they know everything. When they read things they don't like they direct all the employees to go on sites like Glassdoor and create fake reviews talking about how awesome the company is.

Big expectations from beginning, but next that has to be ended some day.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at AtHoc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have a chance to find very smart people there.
    Good relations between coworkers.
    Nice location.
    Free food.

Cons

Business Analysts layer almost no exists.
    Constant changes in requirements.
    Constant staff rotation.
    Be prepared for HUGE overtimes, no matter how skilled you are.
    Forget about family lifestyle - you MUST bring your laptop to home, work and be ready to work more.
    Huge implicit and explicit pressure (get too much tasks or be ready for Monday stress because you did not work on weekend and now you are blocker for others).
    There are couple of people who left the Company because of the stress and pressure from family members.
    Many workers dreaming to finish current assignments and change the job asap.
    Wages and benefits are not for Silicon Valley definitely, so benefits not worth of hours and health spent.
    If you might show you can work more - you will be workhorse.

Think how get it easy and stabilize the team.
    Improve planning.
    Do not think people are robots, they should have own life at weekend.
    Increase compensation and benefits or relocate to more affordable area.

Great company culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company is wildly solvent/successful.
    •Politics are minimal to nonexistent.
    •Work/life balance is admirable.
    •At the same time, we get a lot done!
    •People are incredibly nice and welcoming.
    •Great “let’s-roll-up-our-sleeves-and-get-‘er-done” attitude! Lots of companies claim this as their culture but few deliver, IMHO.
    •Company sensitive to mind-numbing Bay Area commutes.
    •Tolerant workplace.
    •People leave you alone to do your job.
    •My supervisor is very hands-off and lets me do my thing, but, then, he sort of knows exactly when to come in and provide really valuable advice, then he swoops off! Love it.
    •I really love this place and my job.
    When people are terminated, usually we all get it. Not "I can't believe they let Barney go! He was so nice and ridiculously competent." And when they do, they take pains to gather a group together and explain why/what happened.

Cons

•Location could be better. No convenient way to get from Caltrain to office. Yes, there’s a shuttle, but it’s endless, as it's not an AtHoc shuttle. It's a corporate-area shuttle.
    Would love AtHoc sponsored bus from city. About 15 people live in city, enough to fill small van.And, of course, that number's only going to grow.
    •Benefits could be better. Have to wait 9 months for 401k match and there’s no flexible spending.
    Perhaps due to start-up status, but, sometimes, it's not clear who the primary stakeholder/approver is on a given project. Causes confusion and time-sapping swirl.

Feedback after my First Year at AtHoc

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

AtHoc is a VERY employee friendly company that prides itself on taking care of people. Its is a company that is growing very quickly given the demands of the market. Everyone is very helpful and willing to pitch in to get the work done as needed. Many long days and long nights but very exciting to be with an organization that believes in transparency and employee growth ! Senior management is very accessible and open to fresh and out of the box thinking of ideas.

Cons

Company is growing very fast. Keeping up with versioning of software and enhanced capabilities as they become available can be challenge. Keeping up with all the new hires can also be a challenge but welcomed

Keep pushing...being retired military of 27 years, I could not have asked for a better opportunity or experience other than what I have been a part of after joinig AtHoc !!

I enjoy working at AtHoc

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great mission, friendly atmosphere, approachable management that listens to employees, strategic vision, team spirit.
    This company makes serious product, not just "something to make money".
    Fun Committee is very creative and are opened for everyone to join. Employees decide how and when we have fun.
    Free lunches, dinners, snacks, fruits, free shuttle from Caltrain and other benefits.
    I think AtHoc is a very thoughtful, stable company with great future.
    Work-life balance: if you work too hard to meet release deadline - you will be rewarded.

Cons

Promotions
    Compensation could be slightly better to be on top of the market
    .net in bay area

More options for career growth

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The talent pool in this company is amazing and extremely diverse. This is a tech company focused on an extremely important mission; life-safety. As such, its employees are extremely diverse from the technology field to homeland security and department of defense. There is a always an exciting "buzz" that can be felt any time while in the HQ and things move very fast with this company.

Cons

The company is growing very quickly and is being challenged while adjusting to this growth.

Has been an exilerating time, challenging, extremely rewarding, feel great about the compnay and what it does,

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Important Mission. The quality of the people across the company is amazing? I firmly believe the management team is concerned about what is in the best interest of its employees while trying to balance the continued growth of the company, a tough task. You will be extremely proud about what the company provides its customers. Truly a Customer focused company.

Cons

High pressure becaue of the importance of what we do. Seems like it is in a constant state of change because of the rapid growth of the company.

Continue to make the postive employee focused changes that have and will occur to improve benifits and quality of life. Do not lose focus on the cuosmter and our employees.

Excellent company to work for!

Current Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Stable senior management team
    Engaged employees
    Competitive pay structure
    Work/life balance

Cons

No strong cons come to mind - I feel I am challenged, respected by senior management and part of a company that creates more than just a product - but life saving technology.

Keep up the great work!

Important mission, processes improve and company is growing

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The product is supporting an important mission of saving lives. Top class customers.
    Flexible hours, free lunches and munches. company is continuously growing, new challenges.

Cons

a lot of new processes put in place, still work in progress. Many meetings.
    Knowledge sharing and training can be improved.