AtHoc Reviews

3.5
Guy Miasnik

I enjoy working at AtHoc

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission, friendly atmosphere, approachable management that listens to employees, strategic vision, team spirit.
    This company makes serious product, not just "something to make money".
    Fun Committee is very creative and are opened for everyone to join. Employees decide how and when we have fun.
    Free lunches, dinners, snacks, fruits, free shuttle from Caltrain and other benefits.
    I think AtHoc is a very thoughtful, stable company with great future.
    Work-life balance: if you work too hard to meet release deadline - you will be rewarded.

Cons

Promotions
    Compensation could be slightly better to be on top of the market
    .net in bay area

Advice to Management

More options for career growth

2. A Honest Review

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been reading the reviews and it seems to fluctuate between "AtHoc is the best place to work!!!" or "AtHoc is evil!", thought I would throw in my two cents about the good and the bad. I work remotely so I can't speak for day-to-day operation at HQ but being with the company for several years I do have a good understanding of policies and procedures.

Pros:
    -Flexible work hours. I don't have a set time that I need to be available, just as long as my tasks are done when they should be done. Everyone is happy.

-Management. If you would of approached me about a 1-2 years ago this would of definitely been a con. The hiring of more employees and some internal reshuffling has allowed management to offload their workload onto the new hires and allow them to be more engaged with their team. I know one of my frustrations at the beginning was that my requests/questions were sometimes ignored. Now I usually have an answer within hours, and most of the time <1 hr.

-Recognition. Could be the cynic in me as I worked in federal government before working for AtHoc and not ever being recognized for the work I did. Working of AtHoc has been a revelation in this regard. If you put in the work you will get recognized and rewarded both in the short term and long term, I've gotten gift cards in the mail for completing a difficult task as a way of thanks, yearly bonus larger than what was originally promised, etc. If you do good work you will be noticed.

-Benefits. Not sure what the current benefit package they are giving out to new employees but what I received was more than fair, plus seems like every year they are adding new benefits (401k matching, increased vacation, etc.)

-Compensation. Not really a pro or a con but I think it should be addressed. I feel my pay is satisfactory for myself and where I live. But if for some reason I was forced to relocate to headquarters, I would probably be looking for another job even if they given me a pretty hefty raise. Also salary negotiation when I was initially hired was a huge turn off for me as I was told "Here's our offer and that's it" nearly walked out of the building because I felt it was a bullying technique.

Cons

-Work/Life Balance - This was really bad when I first started working for AtHoc and other people's reviews in regards to this are legitimate. However, it has significantly improved for myself as I have learned to say "No" without feeling like I was going to be ostracized or reprimanded. Plus with our workforce doubling since I started has helped immensely where I can concentrate on my actual job rather than putting out fires. But I do feel sometimes that Sr. Management can't seem to understand why 80 hour work weeks are not a good thing.

-Sr. Management. Now I said management was a pro in my review but this is in regards to my immediate manager and leads. This is addressing the higher tier of management, responsible for the communication between the CEO/CIO to us. I don't have proof but I feel there is a big filter between what CEO communicates to his team and what is communicated back to us, same for us saying something to the CEO and either getting misconstrued or not even relayed to leadership. I think this is where those "Throws you under the bus" reviews come into play with some of these reviews. Also I feel a "good ol' boys club" vibe within AtHoc, I attribute this to AtHoc hiring a lot of former military (myself included) as our product is used within DoD. Most of our DoD leadership is comprised of ex-Colonels/Lt. Colonels who are buddy-buddy and would rather listen/side with one of their own rather than hear ideas outside of their circle.

-Turnover. It's very hard establishing good work relationships within AtHoc as I feel there seems to be a revolving door when it comes to employees, especially on the development side of the company. I know when I need to do some work at headquarters or just doing the rounds at our company holiday party, I am surprised by the number of people that I do not know.

-Interview Process. This was pretty brutal process when I went through this, and I hope they have changed this process. First of all were the phone interviews, three in all. Once I passed that I was flown to headquarters, first day I had a bunch of face-to-face interviews with several different people and then a technical evaluation. Day 2 I had some more interviews and then had to give a presentation. By the end of the process I was mentally exhausted as I felt if I tripped up any where I wouldn't get offered a job. Their reasoning was explained to me as "we want to make sure we get the best people" but at the same time I'm curious how many qualified people they turned away because of this intense interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall I would say AtHoc has been more positive than negative experience for me. I think the biggest issue with AtHoc is that they have been this tiny startup company of about 50 employees to this successful business with significant growth the past few years. This has caused a number of "growing pains" during this transition and I feel they are starting to smooth out. My experience from AtHoc at the beginning to where I am now has significantly improved, but there are still some more wrinkles to iron out.

Experienced people need not apply

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AtHoc (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, leading edge technology, great market, and a great solution to an ever increasing need

Cons

Power struggle at the top does lead to employees continually being thrown under the bus; honesty is not the best policy; you can give 100% and it still will not be enough;

Advice to Management

Grow up and treat people with respect

Great job if you like long hours, no family life and being regularly thrown under the bus

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at AtHoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food which is also a con because management believes there is no longer a reason for you to leave your desk and get out of the office.

Cons

You'll spend more time fixing bad code that someone broke years ago than coding anything new and exciting. There is no routine day at AtHoc, you just swerve from time consuming crisis to time consuming crisis with leadership totally absent.

Advice to Management

You can't give advice to people who already think they know everything. When they read things they don't like they direct all the employees to go on sites like Glassdoor and create fake reviews talking about how awesome the company is.

Feedback after my First Year at AtHoc

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AtHoc is a VERY employee friendly company that prides itself on taking care of people. Its is a company that is growing very quickly given the demands of the market. Everyone is very helpful and willing to pitch in to get the work done as needed. Many long days and long nights but very exciting to be with an organization that believes in transparency and employee growth ! Senior management is very accessible and open to fresh and out of the box thinking of ideas.

Cons

Company is growing very fast. Keeping up with versioning of software and enhanced capabilities as they become available can be challenge. Keeping up with all the new hires can also be a challenge but welcomed

Advice to Management

Keep pushing...being retired military of 27 years, I could not have asked for a better opportunity or experience other than what I have been a part of after joinig AtHoc !!

Has been an exilerating time, challenging, extremely rewarding, feel great about the compnay and what it does,

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Important Mission. The quality of the people across the company is amazing? I firmly believe the management team is concerned about what is in the best interest of its employees while trying to balance the continued growth of the company, a tough task. You will be extremely proud about what the company provides its customers. Truly a Customer focused company.

Cons

High pressure becaue of the importance of what we do. Seems like it is in a constant state of change because of the rapid growth of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the postive employee focused changes that have and will occur to improve benifits and quality of life. Do not lose focus on the cuosmter and our employees.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The talent pool in this company is amazing and extremely diverse. This is a tech company focused on an extremely important mission; life-safety. As such, its employees are extremely diverse from the technology field to homeland security and department of defense. There is a always an exciting "buzz" that can be felt any time while in the HQ and things move very fast with this company.

Cons

The company is growing very quickly and is being challenged while adjusting to this growth.

Great spot for someone who likes a challenge.

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genuine employees.
    Strong team bonds.
    Product that saves lives.
    Plenty of room for innovation and creativity.
    Highly experienced management.
    Flexible work hours.
    Free meals.
    Full benefits.

Cons

Seriousness of the product can lead to high pressure to perform.
    Several layers of approval on given projects.
    Poor communication on tasks.
    Many rush projects.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employee's happiness.

Great company culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is wildly solvent/successful.
    •Politics are minimal to nonexistent.
    •Work/life balance is admirable.
    •At the same time, we get a lot done!
    •People are incredibly nice and welcoming.
    •Great “let’s-roll-up-our-sleeves-and-get-‘er-done” attitude! Lots of companies claim this as their culture but few deliver, IMHO.
    •Company sensitive to mind-numbing Bay Area commutes.
    •Tolerant workplace.
    •People leave you alone to do your job.
    •My supervisor is very hands-off and lets me do my thing, but, then, he sort of knows exactly when to come in and provide really valuable advice, then he swoops off! Love it.
    •I really love this place and my job.
    When people are terminated, usually we all get it. Not "I can't believe they let Barney go! He was so nice and ridiculously competent." And when they do, they take pains to gather a group together and explain why/what happened.

Cons

•Location could be better. No convenient way to get from Caltrain to office. Yes, there’s a shuttle, but it’s endless, as it's not an AtHoc shuttle. It's a corporate-area shuttle.
    Would love AtHoc sponsored bus from city. About 15 people live in city, enough to fill small van.And, of course, that number's only going to grow.
    •Benefits could be better. Have to wait 9 months for 401k match and there’s no flexible spending.
    Perhaps due to start-up status, but, sometimes, it's not clear who the primary stakeholder/approver is on a given project. Causes confusion and time-sapping swirl.

Advice to Management

Excellent company to work for!

Current Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AtHoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable senior management team
    Engaged employees
    Competitive pay structure
    Work/life balance

Cons

No strong cons come to mind - I feel I am challenged, respected by senior management and part of a company that creates more than just a product - but life saving technology.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

RSS Feed </> Embed