Athena Health Care Systems

Employment Status

Reset
1.7
Lawrence G. Santilli

High Standards for Work Performance; but staff can become overworked and overstressed.

Former Employee - Social Worker in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Athena Health Care Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good health, vision, and dental benefits. Employer pays a big portion. Talented and helpful coworkers many of whom put their work before their own needs. Department and unit recognitions given with free pizza or other treats. Holiday party with prizes each year. Grocery store gift cards given to all staff for Thanksgiving and Christmas.Three personal days.

Cons

High turnover of administrator, director of nursing, director of social services, nurse preventionist, and other staff. No outside in services or opportunities for professional development. Six sick days, Six paid holidays per year. Two weeks vacation until employed for 5 years then increases to three weeks; another week is added after 10 years,

Advice to Management

Value your employees at all levels. Allow employees, who wish it, at least one day per year to have a day to attend a conference or spa- retreat day for personal development or renewal.

2. Not Recommended

I have been working at Athena Health Care Systems

Pros

There are not any to report.

Cons

Poor management, total lack of systems and processes.

Advice to Management

Uncontrolled growth without proper staffing results in maximum profits for shareholders and poor patient and family care and professional practice standards.

3. Would give 0 stars if possible

Former Employee - Junior Accountant in Southborough, MA
    Former Employee - Junior Accountant in Southborough, MA

I worked at Athena Health Care Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some great employees whom unfortunately have to deal with a company that has no idea how to treat their employees or patients.

Cons

The biggest con about Athena from my experience working for the Southborough corporate office is the significant disconnect or lack of concern shown by the parent office in Connecticut. The rapid expansion that has taken place in Massachusetts the last two years which saw a finance team go from 7 facilities to 20 and only having the foresight to add 2 additional junior accountants and 2 accounts payable coordinators to the team is absolute lunacy. This has led to an impossible workload for them and has dug Athena into a whole where their financial statements for the Massachusetts facilities are at least 3 months behind schedule. The management staff in Massachusetts is absolutely terrified of the Connecticut office and will never say no to a request no matter how impractical or what strain it will cause on employees. Another significant blunder that has come from this expansion is the heavy burden it places on available cash to operate all of these facilities. Not only were financial statements months behind but accounts payable were behind by a similar time frame as well. The poor accounts payable coordinators can barely do their jobs because they are on the phone pretty much all day dealing with angry venders explaining why a bill from 3 months ago has not been paid. This distraction only sets back the operation further and further back. This problem also affects the operations of the facilities themselves. There have been many times where a panicked administrator will call the office because a utility company is threatening to shut off services because of a late payment. This has potential to cause a large problem because there are only a few people with authorization to make a spot payment to resolve the issue like that and if that person is not available the home is out of luck for the time being. A company that lives above their means like this is recipe for a toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Pay your bills and treat your staff better

5. Not a good environment

Former Employee - CNA
    Former Employee - CNA

I worked at Athena Health Care Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Taking care of the patients

Cons

low pay, bullying environment, management doesn't care about the employees

6. Get the hell away from Athena

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlboro, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlboro, MA

I have been working at Athena Health Care Systems

Pros

NONE. They are in the business or finding the cheapest help.

Cons

People getting fired without explanation who have been there for years/decades. Employees leaving due to Athena cutting back on staffing/hours. Depending on the census, employees are sent home early without pay or told not to come in at all. Turnover of employees extremely high! No screening of patients coming into facility . They will take anyone regardless of severity of mental illness/drug abuse. Athena will not put the patients needs 1st. Their goal is to even keep the youngest patients as long term care when they can be thriving out in the world. Lousy benefits, Not competitive. No pay raises.

Advice to Management

Shame on Athena! One day you will answer to God when he asks you what you did to help our employees and the patients? Employees have lives and bills to pay and you fire them without explanation. You stress employees out who have been there for decades so that they will resign and you can hire new help at a cheaper rate. Makes me sick!

7. unethical company for Medicare billing

Current Employee - Therapist in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Therapist in Providence, RI

I have been working at Athena Health Care Systems full-time

Pros

The staff u work with.

Cons

Unethical usage of part b benefits and high rug categories. ..

Advice to Management

Be realistic ...medicare will catch up to you.

This is the worst company that I've EVER worked for in my life

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Plymouth, MA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Plymouth, MA

I have been working at Athena Health Care Systems

Pros

The people I worked with before Athena purchased our nursing home

Cons

They doubled the workload of the unit managers, who promptly quit DON and QID resigned. We have no 11-7 boss We have no weekend boss. There are no unit managers They cut line staff Patients suffer. Bad things happen. I hope the State shuts down the facility during Survey I am actively seeking other employment NEVER take a job with this company You've been warned

Advice to Management

Shame on you

Constantly changing, poor communication, low morale

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Athena Health Care Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like my co- workers and the residents. The building is attractive and well maintained. The health insurance and PTO is adequate.

Cons

This company has a high turnover rate with staff. It seems like someone is always being fired or pressured to leave. Most of us feel like we have no job security. There is never enough staff in any department to run the facility properly. It is difficult to take a break. Us nurses have watched our job descriptions grow with no extra pay or the ability to stay until our work is finished- we can't create overtime. There is very little communication from Athena itself. We have been in a wage freeze for two years now. But yet Athena keeps buying more facilities. Working in these conditions have created staff to have poor morale. If there is a light at the end of this tunnel, Athena should tell us.

Advice to Management

Tell us what Athena's plans are and discuss upcoming changes with us. Please give us more CNA's.

Inconsistent and reactionary management leads to poor job security.

Current Employee - Therapist in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Therapist in Bristol, CT

I have been working at Athena Health Care Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers with a well-equipped working environment.

Cons

Poor managerial decisions lead to constant shifts in leadership, over-staffing with employees encouraged to clock out early and/or use PTO for contracted hourly pay. Provide adequate training in computer use and allow sufficient time for a learning curve before pushing productivity rates over quality work.

Advice to Management

Promote managers who understand the business and how to read the changing healthcare landscape. Focus on growing the business first and hiring staff to support the growth. Use pro-active management principles and don't be afraid to cut ties to people who are poor fits for the positions they were promoted to. Support your lower level staff by listening to their concerns before the situation reaches a crisis.

Exactly what is wrong with the geriatric healthcare system

I have been working at Athena Health Care Systems

Pros

Few and far between. I guess the most positive part of Athena is nothing to do with Athena. Its the people I work with every day, between the aids and nurses and some management. Thats the heart of the company.

Cons

No raises, no differential. They do not seem to care about the patient let alone the employee. Its all about saving money and making the company look good. None of the interventions or policies make for real world. Everyone at my site is jumping ship.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and you'll keep your employees. How can I care for my patients with poor quality.

RSS Feed </> Embed