Athena Health Care Systems

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
2.1

Lawrence G. Santilli

High Standards for Work Performance; but staff can become overworked and overstressed.

Former Employee - Social Worker in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Athena Health Care Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good health, vision, and dental benefits. Employer pays a big portion. Talented and helpful coworkers many of whom put their work before their own needs. Department and unit recognitions given with free pizza or other treats. Holiday party with prizes each year. Grocery store gift cards given to all staff for Thanksgiving and Christmas.Three personal days.

Cons

High turnover of administrator, director of nursing, director of social services, nurse preventionist, and other staff. No outside in services or opportunities for professional development. Six sick days, Six paid holidays per year. Two weeks vacation until employed for 5 years then increases to three weeks; another week is added after 10 years,

Value your employees at all levels. Allow employees, who wish it, at least one day per year to have a day to attend a conference or spa- retreat day for personal development or renewal.

Absolute Dumpster fire

I worked at Athena Health Care Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Basically the only pros I can think of are the fact that the fellow co workers also understand how screwed up of a place this is and can joke about at it at lunch about how late Athena is with bills and how many angry phone calls the accounts payable department gets from disgruntled vendors who have rendered services but are months overdue with payment because the company over extended themselves in their recent acquisitions of facilities.

Cons

They really take the "salary" label to heart. If you are a salaried worker opposed to an hourly worker you are highly pressured and expected to work 50-60 hours a week with no benefit of overtime or bonuses. The managers(yes 2 managers, makes no sense right?), guilt the salaried workers into working the same hours they have to work even tho the staff that works under them make about half as much as they do. Also there was a little to know formal training involved the typical instructions upon receiving a project from a manager would be "look at last months/last year's".

What it comes down to is the office managers will do literally anything that the corporate office in Connecticut asks them. No matter how impossible the task because of all of the recent acquisitions. Instead of asking for a larger budget to hire more people to cover the extra work. Instead they just expect everyone to drop everything and work 60 hour weeks without any extra compensation or even a show of appreciation to acknowledge the extra work. My advice would be to stop buying every run down nursing home in Massachusetts so they have enough cash to the point where they don't have to worry about covering payroll every week or worry about getting shutoff calls from utility/cable/telephone companies pretty much daily from at least one facility. Stop overextending the company and borrowing money like its going out of style and treat your employees who are burnt out with some respect. And for the managers who are allowing this to happen, grow a spine and advocate for your office

Constantly changing, poor communication, low morale

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Athena Health Care Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like my co- workers and the residents. The building is attractive and well maintained. The health insurance and PTO is adequate.

Cons

This company has a high turnover rate with staff. It seems like someone is always being fired or pressured to leave. Most of us feel like we have no job security. There is never enough staff in any department to run the facility properly. It is difficult to take a break. Us nurses have watched our job descriptions grow with no extra pay or the ability to stay until our work is finished- we can't create overtime. There is very little communication from Athena itself. We have been in a wage freeze for two years now. But yet Athena keeps buying more facilities. Working in these conditions have created staff to have poor morale. If there is a light at the end of this tunnel, Athena should tell us.

Tell us what Athena's plans are and discuss upcoming changes with us. Please give us more CNA's.

Inconsistent and reactionary management leads to poor job security.

Current Employee - Therapist in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Therapist in Bristol, CT

I have been working at Athena Health Care Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers with a well-equipped working environment.

Cons

Poor managerial decisions lead to constant shifts in leadership, over-staffing with employees encouraged to clock out early and/or use PTO for contracted hourly pay. Provide adequate training in computer use and allow sufficient time for a learning curve before pushing productivity rates over quality work.

Promote managers who understand the business and how to read the changing healthcare landscape. Focus on growing the business first and hiring staff to support the growth. Use pro-active management principles and don't be afraid to cut ties to people who are poor fits for the positions they were promoted to. Support your lower level staff by listening to their concerns before the situation reaches a crisis.

Exactly what is wrong with the geriatric healthcare system

I have been working at Athena Health Care Systems

Pros

Few and far between. I guess the most positive part of Athena is nothing to do with Athena. Its the people I work with every day, between the aids and nurses and some management. Thats the heart of the company.

Cons

No raises, no differential. They do not seem to care about the patient let alone the employee. Its all about saving money and making the company look good. None of the interventions or policies make for real world. Everyone at my site is jumping ship.

Care about your employees and you'll keep your employees. How can I care for my patients with poor quality.

informative

Current Employee - Evening Supervisor 3-11 in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Evening Supervisor 3-11 in Bristol, CT

I have been working at Athena Health Care Systems

Pros

Very close knit family of employees; caring environment; close to my home; familiarity with policies and building; good benefits; fair scheduling

Cons

low salary for experience; no feedback or evaluations.....only problem shooting;

have more nurses meetings; enhance on the newsletter; be more visible; post jobs as they come up and not just fill them with whomever