Athens Regional Medical Center

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James G. Thaw

Used to be a great place to work, still has potential!

RESPIRATORY (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsAwesome employees! Great people, decent benefits although they used to be great.

ConsBenefits while good, have been cut! There is a lack of communication between managers and the workers. In some departments anyway. Not much in the way of opportunities for advancement. Would like to see a better scheduling system.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication, would like to see some opportunities for advancement or incentives or to be financially rewarded for obtaining a higher degree in ones field.

Don't waste your time working here if you are in allied health.

CPhT (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsYou get a paycheck… that is about it. Look elsewhere if you want to be happy and feel appreciated.

ConsPoor management, management is up in the clouds, they could really careless about the life or feelings of the individual. All they do is use you..

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement honestly needs to be replaced. There is not a nice way to say it… they are useless.

Poorly managed environment

IS (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsFront line staff for patient care is dedicated. Strong feeling of community and service to community. Pay is reasonable. Benefits are fair but penalties for not using Athens Regional Pharmacy are a slap in face that offset other benfits.

ConsExtremely weak management at all levels. Managers fail to manage staff or issues. Most managers take an "iron hand / my way or the highway" approach. Others try to be their staff's best friend and fail to hold them accountable for anything. The few good managers are becoming increasingly frustrated. There is a lot of "us against them" politics between work groups.

The Information Services department is too small for the scope of work and project schedules they are asked to support. The department has survived this long by heroic effort of specific individuals (many of whom have become frustrated and left over the past two years). Frontline IS staff level has been reduced by 25% over the last few years while additional levels of management (CTO / Director) have been added. An IS department of this size should not require CIO, CMO, CTO, and mutliple director positions in addition to front line unit managers.

IS staff roles are changed randomly based on the current crisis; whims of newly arrived management/consultants; or the current manager's inability to address staff performance issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind someone who understands this is a business that requires a short term and long term business plan that is communicated to all levels. Find a board of directors who will pay attention to what senior management is doing. Pay attention to and question the mass resignations of existing staff (directors/mamangers/front line). Pay attention to the unusual numbers of "friends" being brought in as new hires/consultants by recently hired senior management (i.e. your recent CIO). Stop trying to "grow" the business until you get a support structure in place that can address such growth in an organized and controlled manner. All you have down over the past few years is slowly undermine and weaken the underlying infrastrucutre of an organization to the point that your staff is being systematically driven away to protect their own work/life balance. The majority of your staff want ARMC to succeed but they are tired of the politics; the pettiness; and the continued mismangement they see on a daily basis.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

People are leaving for a reason

Employee (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsCurrently not many. The benefits are a positive but they have been dramatically cut over the past 2 years.

ConsAs an employee for more than 10 years, I have seen Athens Regional go from a vibrant and expanding hospital to losing many of its best and brightest employees over the course of only two years. The hospital is no longer increasing its patient base but rather struggling to function on a day-to-day basis. The IT department has been decimated by its current CIO. Her complete lack of communication with her own department as well as the rest of the hospital means that her decisions (and she makes all IT decisions) are made in a vacuum with no basis in real life experience. Subsequently the people who use tech have absolutely no input into what tech they get to use. People are really told what they get and to make it work. This has resulted in extreme inefficiencies and risky patient safety policies.

More importantly, the CEO is completely out of touch with his hospital. On the one hand he puts out politically correct and glowing e-mails and blog posts about how wonderful the hospital is running. In reality, his decisions to fire key long term and well respected personnel, completely suppress any opinion other than his own by threat of termination, and spend incredible amounts of hospital money on systems that were poorly chosen, again with no input from the people who will actually use them, have placed the hospital in a financially unstable state. The hospital board seems oblivious that his actions place the hospital at risk. There is a fear amongst upper and mid level managers and directors that any dissent or opinion that does not line up with the C-level thought will result in termination. Subsequently, there is no discussion or evaluation prior to the institution of new policies. And the fear is real. Multiple high-level well thought of managers have been terminated without warning and for no apparent reason other than they expressed a dissenting opinion.

As a result of all this, the hospital is struggling. It will take a new CEO with the ability to utilize the wealth of intellectual treasure that is the hospital's employees for ARMC return to its stature as a vibrant and growing hospital.

First four years were great, thought I would work there till I retired

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSorry, just can't think of any

ConsI worked in different depts., always the same, no team atmosphere. Managers do nothing to build teams. No staff meetings. HR dept. poorly run. I question the competency of HR leadership. There is a lot of staff turnover. Started a nurse residency program to try and keep nurses from leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are out of touch with your day to day workers. You need to turn things around before it is too late.

I was promoted to Lead Security shortly after employment, considering my 30 plus years in law Enforcement, 17 yrs in MH

Lead Security Officer (Former Employee) Athens, GA

ProsIt's a very competitive Organization.

ConsFollowing my termination due to a fatal auto accident, I have since heeled to the point I feel I can work again in Security, yet I haven't even been considered.

Employment

CMA (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsGood Benefits, good work hours

ConsManagement doesn't stand up for its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, look at their file to see if they have been in trouble before. Don't assume management is always right.

Incompetent and paranoid leader

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsStaff in trenches care about quality of patient care work hard to bridge the gaps created by leadership poor decision making

ConsCEO has a social phobia--lacks any ability to inspire and direct the troops. More interested in finding out who his enemies are rather than leading. Has placed incompetent and inexperienced people in IT and COO roles. Enterprise is coming apart and is 15 months away from major crisis. Conflicts of interest abound, nursing staff severely fatigued and demoralized, many fearing for patient safety and cataclysmic event occurring.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe board needs to open its collective eyes and take action on this situation. It is in worse shape than you think. Be responsible,

FORMERLY a great place to work.

Support Staff (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsThe benefits, however those have also been slowly pared away, if the new management could get away with it, we'd have either none or pay more for them out of our own pockets.

ConsA serious lack of communications between depts. Senior Management has a real problem with actually caring about it's employees. There is little to no recognition of employees work. Work hard or slack off, they really just don't give a d@mn. Incompetency rules the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the dead weight. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Too many entrenched incompetent mid-level managers, who use ARMC as a "jobs program" for their friends. Same goes for senior management. ARMC was a great place to work until the vultures from Washington DC (GW Medical Center) showed up. They brought with them obscene salaries, closed door policies, a "my way or the highway attitude", summary terminations of effective managers (presumably to get anyone who disagrees with them or might make trouble for them out of the way), tremendous wastes of money, bonuses and perks for senior management and nothing for rank and file employees. They seem to be intentionally driving this organization headlong towards bankruptcy, after which a corporate raider will swoop in and take the whole thing at a bargain-basement price. I used to feel enormous satisfaction in my job as I felt I was serving the Athens community at large. Not anymore.

Great atmosphere and community, but lacks direction under current CEO. Company is drifting...

Director (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsGreat environment to work in, it feels like a family.
    Wonderful quality of life in Athens, GA.
    You get the sense that our patients really appreciate the work we do.

ConsThere is not a lot of opportunity for advancement.
    No clear direction for the organization from the CEO--you get the impression he's in over his head.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a leader and take ownership of your position. By not making strong decisions you are letting us drift towards mediocrity.

Worked for Athens Regional Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!