Athleta

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Scott Key

It's a place of growth from learning, executing, experiencing and taking advantage of opportunities.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe opportunity to grow is great if you take the right steps, the big steps, to support the store standards and sales. Taking initiative definitely shows management that you are invaluable and irreplaceable. With the work put in, promotion to full time (rare) after a year. Good starting pay compared to many other retail stores. Discount is very generous considering the prices. Flexible scheduling and requesting time off is easily negotiable. Everyone is a part of a great team and teamwork is very important day to day.

ConsPay raise is very small. Chances of being promoted to a higher position is rare (but possible). Management could be better in communicating with sales associates and following up with progress in workload. Too many products to push into a store, regardless of how big or small the storefront is.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving a successful management means follow-through with everyday as well as every associate's accountability and completion of work. There's a lack of communication and secrecy between the two levels.

A motivating and inspiring atmosphere, with a great family culture that started even from day one.

San Diego, CA

ProsCoworkers are encouraging and helpful. General positive attitude from everyone. Great employee discount.

ConsNot extensive training done for all areas. No commission or bonuses - almost cannot even afford to use the discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of us seem to have been trained in one area, and instead of switching roles to ensure equal training amongst other areas (floor experience, fit room experience, cashier experience) they've seem to just rely on us staying in our area. So when one area gets hectic (say the check out line) there are only one or two people trained and the balance is thrown off.

If you have a brain and like using it, stay away!

Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat Product and Discounts. Gave new employees a gift card to jump start their wardrobe.

ConsI've worked in retail for a long time and have spent several years in retail management. However, I took a part time sales position at Athleta because I wanted to get out of the retail world but still needed an income while I looked for other work. Before I continue, different stores may not be as bad as this one. I think a great deal of issues simply come from the "leadership team," which in this case seems to be a group of women who stopped maturing when they graduated high school. Its hard to respect your managers when they swear almost constantly- even on the sales floor- and talk about how drunk they got last night. Its also hard to respect your managers when you hear them talking about other managers within earshot of employees. So now, as an employee, I know this manager isn't living up to expectations (authority immediately undermined there) and that employee performance is talked about openly in front of others...might as well hold reviews in front of the entire store (trust is gone.) We are not to have phones on us while we work which is totally reasonable, we aren't being paid to use our phones, but maybe management is because they text there various love interests and gal pals while on clock. They also almost constantly assume that the sales associates are idiots and speak towards them in a condescending manner. When, in fact, the sales associates while, yes, some do need further training, are really working hard and doing the best they can in the structure in which they've been provided. They don't need to be told the same thing by each manager as they come on duty- who doesn't think to ask if this has been addressed with you yet (and they aren't addressing this because you've done something wrong, rather its because they've gotten in trouble with their managers and are passing the buck to you.) Think the TPS reports from Office Space. Only you're not even the one responsible for the TPS report to begin with.

Also, while we are told to build relationships with our customer, referred to as the generalized "she" or "her," its kind of hard to do because sales associates are not allowed to travel outside their respective zones. Hence, "she" will have 4 perhaps five people helping "her" during one visit. I'm not exactly sure how one is supposed to build a relationship with "her" when you are literally told you are not allowed to leave your area of the store. I can't make friends with someone and build rapport with her if I am unable to help her throughout the store. This accounts for the lackluster service I received on several occasions prior to working there. I wondered why the girl who was initially helping me never returned to tell me if they had the size pant I wanted. Now I know its because she had to hand it off to someone else, who probably had to hand it to someone else, who probably then was stuck helping someone else for a bit, who then probably forgot about finding pants in my size. Hence me literally standing outside the dressing room for 10 minutes wondering where the associate was. And yes, there were other associates wondering around but no one really felt concerned or thought to check on me. I finally got someone's attention. Now, being someone who worked with Athleta's competitor for awhile in a management position, I know how quickly I would have been in not only checking on the pants but also in bringing several more items for me to try. But then, myself and all of the sales employees were allowed to move freely about the store. And would never leave a customer that they were working with without help for longer than a few minutes.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are loosing sales with the zoning technique. Hire greeters and a replen team at minimum wage and have sales associates dedicated to staying with the customers throughout the entire process. Many people are leaving the dressing room without product because no one else was there to suggest a better option for "her." One person in the fit studio cannot possibly attend to every "she" back there.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Assicate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAmazingly nice co-workers, Very diverse environment, Athleta is a really great brand

ConsManagement is like the movie mean girls, too man clicks, You will know if managements like you, not professional at all. No room for growth within the company. Lack of pay, for a company to make so much I'm 1000 percent sure you can start your employees off at 12 an hour, just like Lululemon does. There is no way you can depend on this job for an income hours are barely given.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horse and true treat employees as if they were the priceless Diamonds, because if it wasn't for you employees this company with be poop. The miss treatment I received by my management in the Flatiron area has disappointment me. I was treated as if I was not human more like a replaceable little germ.

AWESOME PLACE TO WORK!

Emeryville, CA

Proshad an amazing run here everyone is amazing nice and tons of growth available

Consgoing through some changes with ceo so still working out the kinks but so far so great

People are very nice. Great discount. Positive culture. Minimal opportunities to climb the ladder.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

Pros50% Employee discount at ALL GAP brands. Access to GAP employee marketplace deals. Totally flexible with schedule if I needed to take a week off to travel, etc.

ConsBarely any hours per week at this location. Like 4-6 hours per week if I was lucky. Not many opportunities to climb the ladder because the brand is still new and growing. They claim to be all about company support and coaching, but that never happened. I would work here again for the nice people and employee discount, just as a little fun side job, expecting that there is not much room for growth and development.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou say you are all about team and coaching: there should be organized time during a shift to talk to employees about goals, personal and work related, and to check-in and see what's up with employees.

Great experience, loved working here!

Customer Experience Lead (Former Employee)

ProsAthleta provides a great discount of 50% off, Athleta also gives you a sizeable merchandise card to help get your wardrobe ready for the job. The time off and flexibility are amazing! Athleta allows you to grow and provides you with oppurtunities to learn new roles within the business. The return policy of give it a workout guarantee not only helps the customer but provides a less stressful environment for you!

ConsThe only con was the lower payroll alotted for our employees, thats retail but having 5 managers doesnt help!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the positive environment in your stores! Look at the need for 5 managers in smalker stores as its not a necessity.

LOVE Athleta

Full-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFree classes, great coworkers and respectful customers. Relationships work well in this brand because everyone can bond over sports or their own workout activity. The clothes are of an incredible quality and the return policy is second to none. Free classes-did I mention? You can stay fit yourself by just taking the variety of in-store classes.

ConsDespite working in Athleta and offering classes and living the brand experiences, there are those that have no interest in that. You work for Athleta! If this isn't the culture for you, there are plenty of other retailers you could work for instead. Bottom line: TRY to adapt and join with your team.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great on the whole but there is always that one that just doesn't belong because they are far from active.

Love the idea of the company but not a great place to work.

Cusomer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe discount is great (50% off only for Athleta employees and you can use it online as well. Select few managers were really helpful and make you feel welcome.

ConsOverall, management has no respect for employees unless you suck up to them. They are not concerned for their employees well being and making them feel good comes second to making their daily goals, the hours are very inconsistent, pay rate should be higher for Flatiron (NY) location. Managements cultural diversity is extremely lacking, as they are all women and predominantly caucasian. Management did not train me at all and expects you to know what you're doing. Their attitudes are really fake and I guess the motto is true here.."fake it to make it"

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider training your employees and making them feel welcome to the team. It doesn't hurt to ask them how their day is going and if they need anything from you to feel satisfied and motivated to work harder.

Best of Retail Jobs!

Performance Stylist (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsWonderful customers, healthy lifestyle influence, great products, positive work environment, flexible scheduling, fun classes. Athleta corporate really cares about their product quality, their influence on the community, and their customer.

ConsLack of hours, working nights and weekends. You want to buy a lot of the merchandise but it's still expensive. Small break room with no room to sit or move around.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement at grove is awesome! Everybody is super nice and helpful. They're always available to answer any questions or concerns too.

Worked for Athleta? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Athleta reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Athleta CEO Scott Key. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Athleta employees.