Athleta Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014
3.7

Scott Key

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, great people, encourages a healthy lifestyle, great discount (in 13 reviews)

• Discounts at gap and banana republic (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for a promotion and low pay (in 5 reviews)

• Management could be better in communicating with sales associates and following up with progress in workload (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Athleta has been a great way to both share my love for the product and grow with a company I believe in.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Athleta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the product and my co-workers.

Cons

Communication is often unclear and inconsistent.

people are your strongest asset and best brand ambassadors. Development will strengthen the brand within the stores.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Reston, VA

I have been working at Athleta part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Athleta Reston really has a great team working there. It's a very fun work environment full of nice people, and everyone has a high standard of expectation and work ethic. The discount is great too! I would recommend for anyone looking for a great part-time job.

Cons

I wish management communicated more with stores associates. Changes are always kind of sprung on us.

Communicate more with your employees! Everyone loves working there, don't start any problems by keeping people out of the loop!

Great environment!!

I have been working at Athleta part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers and management are very friendly.
    Managers want to see you succeed.
    The discount is AMAZING
    The pay is good for a retail job
    Clothing is so much better now than it used to be

Cons

The training could be better
    Usually get placed doing the same thing which can be repetitive

Very nice work environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Athleta part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great product, people, policies. Easy to sell clothes that are so well made and attractive. Managers and other workers are very kind and easy to work with. Return policies are very generous, which keeps customers happy and returning. Employee discount is very generous and includes GAP, Bannana Republic, Old Navy, and occasionally Piperlime.

Cons

Hourly wage is fairly low, with no room for it to really increase without promotion

Great Retail Work Experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Athleta part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discount on Athleta, Gap, Banana Republic, outlet stores, sometimes discount at Piperlime. You also get the first shot at new merchandise before it hits the sales floors. Free exercise classes are offered in the store or at nearby studios where classes might otherwise be $20+. You'll make friends with other employees, which makes it more enjoyable to come into work. Awesome return policy keeps customers happy and made working the register easier. Management used incentives like gift cards to encourage us to hit sales goals. Good overall work environment.

Cons

Starting pay was low, as can be expected in retail. Not likely to be promoted. Lack of consistent hours on a week-to-week basis--mostly only the management is given consistent, full time hours.

Current employee

I have been working at Athleta

Pros

Great discounts and attention to employees

Cons

No training, but very lax atmosphere makes work enjoyable

Formal training is necessary

Great job environment

Former Employee - Customer Experience Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Athleta full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, discounts and stipend each season for clothing. As a corporation. Gap. Inc gave its employees ample resources especially once you sign on full time. I loved working at my specific store- coworkers, work-life balance, and I was definitely inspired to be fit and healthy!

Cons

It's retail- pay isn't too great especially starting out as a sales associate, and the hours were unbearable at times. I got promoted, but eventually I got tired of sales despite loving everything else.

I love my general manager, but it wouldn't have hurt if management was a little more flexible, especially when it came to scheduling. Less emphasis on sales goals would also have been great. but I know it falls on deaf ears in the retail world.

Athleta

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Athleta part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Product, great discount , beautiful store.

Cons

In alabama if you are african american , they will hire you and take you right off the schedule and tell you its because of sales but employees don't work commission.

Dont lie and say you only give 4 hours a shift , but give other employees 6 hours

Who hires the managers??

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chestnut Hill, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chestnut Hill, MA

I worked at Athleta part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discount. Potential to be a fun job. No commute.

Cons

We stared out with 5 managers (a GM, two associates and two leads). When I left only the GM and one of the associates (who was promoted) were still left. It was the other 3 managers couldn't work with the other two. The GM was incredibly lazy and the other associate (who did the schedule) was a MEAN tyrant. Most people who started with the store left. When the 3rd manager left, almost everyone else did too. Just a really bad working environment.

PAY ATTENTION WHEN MANAGERS LEAVE!!! I'm surprised no changes were made after all the managers left and one stepped down! They also stress a "work/life balance culture" in the store. Not at all. The scheduling manager pretty much MAKES people work. And she works them to the brink of quitting.

Misleading. Too bad they are part of Gap Inc.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Athleta part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Motivated and upbeat associates. It sounds like there could be room for growth, but that could take several months/years to accomplish. The values appear to be true to Athleta's original mission. Good employee discount.

Cons

Hired several employees to open a new store, then cut associate's hours two days after opening. Compensated very little with no benefits unless you hold a management position. Expected to provide exceptional customer service with low pay and no guarantee that you will have hours the following week. Schedules are made only one week in advance, and paychecks come bi-weekly.

Just be upfront with staff from the get-go.