AthletiCo Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
24 reviews filtered by
3.6
Mark Kaufman

1. Great teamwork, collaboration, and supportive management.

Former Employee - Rehabilitation Aide
    Former Employee - Rehabilitation Aide

I worked at AthletiCo part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to learn and grow with an incredible, diverse team who work well together and (at least at the location I worked at) helped each other to serve their patients as professionally and effectively as possible. As a Rehab Aide, I felt respected by the Therapists as a valuable part of the team. They were open to my questions and even suggestions for the clinic and care of patients.

Cons

Some clinics seemed pressed to take a larger volume of patients that what seemed optimal for the patient. As a Rehab Aide / tech, there is not much room to grow in this setting or to increase wage (something which is to large extent, simply part of the reality of being an Aide; generally aides are in school, studying to become therapists or other healthcare professionals). I would have loved to stay there and continue gaining experience until I finished my education however, it's near impossible to support oneself and education on an aide's salary.

Advice to Management

There is a fine balance between keeping the clinic busy and efficient / making money, and creating the most comfortable atmosphere for great care. Our location seemed able to push this limit a bit due to the excellent team cohesion and personality. I filled in at other clinics for a time and saw, when they were too busy, patients felt neglected (even when they were well attended to) and seemed uncomfortable. Even at my home clinic, it would take longer for new patients to really settle in and feel comfortable when the clinic was consistently packed.

2. Progressive outpatient and outreach rehabilitation practice that genuinely cares about its employees and patients.

Former Employee - Athletic Trainer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Athletic Trainer in Chicago, IL

I worked at AthletiCo

Pros

It enables pragmatic individuals amazing clinical opportunities as they are affiliated with multiple professional sports teams, the Big 10 tournament, and performing arts to name a few.

Cons

Vertical mobility is somewhat limited despite the sheer size of the company. The independent nature of outreach work makes it quite difficult to get recognition for exceptional work.

Advice to Management

Continue to tap all key stakeholder and encourage clinicians to develop new skills. If I were to return to outpatient care, Athletico would be the first place I submit a resume.

3. Fantastic experience and knowledge gained if your ultimate goal is to go to PT school

I have been working at AthletiCo

Pros

Great experience and fun people to work with

Cons

Terrible pay for the amount of work

5. Good first impression

I have been working at AthletiCo

Pros

- Care about patients
    - Care about employees
    - Good name to have on resume

Cons

- Worked for a company that Athletico bought. Still in the dark on a lot

Advice to Management

I am unsure of how different this company will be, but having been apart of two acquisitions, this one has gone much smoother than the others.

6. Good place to start

Current Employee - Rehab Aide in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AthletiCo part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company really cares about its staff and its patients/clients

Cons

Pay is not the greatest

discredits the profession of physical therapy

Former Employee - Staff Physical Therapist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Staff Physical Therapist in Chicago, IL

I worked at AthletiCo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

will hire you right out of school, younger company so I can be fun at times. Some opportunities to advance your personal practice.doesn't make it hard for you to figure out when it is time to leave. Grant Koster will astound you with his ability to act like a walking leadership self help book and use a buzz word in every other sentence. the physical therapists there are awesome, and know they are working for a flawed business model. great place to get experience, and when you finally do, you can leave.

Cons

now that I moved away from this company, I realized quite a few things about it. They hire a disproportionate amount of new grad physical therapists.allows them to make more money.you will never leave your shift on time. will never be rewarded for it.The manager will put patients on your schedule even though your shift is over. I once got yelled at for leaving 15 minutes early even though my last patient cancelled in my paper work was completed despite having stayed late countless amounts of time.you will be told that patient should be seen three times per week no matter what. Patients will be moved between physical therapists routinely, they will be double booked, and this will be encouraged.they have a Golf Center...a physical therapy company that has a Golf Centre clearly is not being as effective as they possibly could be. Considering water down and ineffective physical therapy through a poor business model will result in higher revenue.shameless, shameless marketers.when you actually calculate out the bonus you get,compared to the amount of extra time you spend getting it, it's about minimum wage.

Advice to Management

your business model actually hurts the profession.they hiring so many new graduates and by the sheer volume of your clinics, it makes physical therapy seemed less effective than what it is.you might be making money, but you're actually hurting the profession in the broader sense. since you are so big now and the business model requires constant referrals from physicians I guess we'll never get direct access.

Great place to start your career, but get out after a year or two

Current Employee - PT/ATC in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - PT/ATC in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at AthletiCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people with lots of talent within the clinic setting
    - A slew of specialties, so there's something for just about everybody
    - Nice client population
    - Lots of continuing education opportunities

Cons

- Incompetent managers, from the clinical level to regionals (and probably up to the top) - I do not speak about all the managers, but the ones I encounter on the regular basis have no business managing (many are Kaufman's goons). They lack leadership and garner little respect from the rank and file employees (or us insubordinates). On the plus side, if you can breath, are blind to actually believe what upper management tells you, and preach the AthletiCo propaganda, you can become a manager.
    - Very poor pay
    - Terrible support staff at the corporate office (again, there are some good employees at the home office). They tend to have very cush jobs, and have no clue on how to get things done promptly. AthletiCo really does need to test reading comprehension and reasoning (aka common sense) of their corporate employees.
    - Promotion of questionable and shady billing practices (borderline MC fraud)

Advice to Management

Harvest (the company who pumped some funds into AthletiCo) needs to do some major housecleaning at the top or at least evaluate whether many of these managers/employees are worth the money (including Kaufman). There are way too may overpaid people who have been in the company for a long time that don't do a thing. Harvest and Kaufman, do not take your employees for granted. What took so long to be built up can ben taken away instantly.

9. Great time.

I worked at AthletiCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The patients are the best.

Cons

The pay could be better for aides

10. Amazing group of individuals and professionals

I worked at AthletiCo part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had the great opportunity to work alongside AthletiCo staff and from interacting with them, they are highly experienced and knowledgeable, and treat patients with extreme care.

Cons

I cannot say anything horrible about this company, at least from my own experience. It is an amazing company and the individuals there are all very professional.

11. Great team environment

Current Employee - Rehab Aide in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AthletiCo part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Laid back work environment

Cons

Low pay for part-time workers

Advice to Management

more thorough training...everything else is great!