AthletiCo

Updated November 6, 2014
3.5

Mark Kaufman

Great time.

I worked at AthletiCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The patients are the best.

Cons

The pay could be better for aides

discredits the profession of physical therapy

Former Employee - Staff Physical Therapist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Staff Physical Therapist in Chicago, IL

I worked at AthletiCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

will hire you right out of school, younger company so I can be fun at times. Some opportunities to advance your personal practice.doesn't make it hard for you to figure out when it is time to leave. Grant Koster will astound you with his ability to act like a walking leadership self help book and use a buzz word in every other sentence. the physical therapists there are awesome, and know they are working for a flawed business model. great place to get experience, and when you finally do, you can leave.

Cons

now that I moved away from this company, I realized quite a few things about it. They hire a disproportionate amount of new grad physical therapists.allows them to make more money.you will never leave your shift on time. will never be rewarded for it.The manager will put patients on your schedule even though your shift is over. I once got yelled at for leaving 15 minutes early even though my last patient cancelled in my paper work was completed despite having stayed late countless amounts of time.you will be told that patient should be seen three times per week no matter what. Patients will be moved between physical therapists routinely, they will be double booked, and this will be encouraged.they have a Golf Center...a physical therapy company that has a Golf Centre clearly is not being as effective as they possibly could be. Considering water down and ineffective physical therapy through a poor business model will result in higher revenue.shameless, shameless marketers.when you actually calculate out the bonus you get,compared to the amount of extra time you spend getting it, it's about minimum wage.

your business model actually hurts the profession.they hiring so many new graduates and by the sheer volume of your clinics, it makes physical therapy seemed less effective than what it is.you might be making money, but you're actually hurting the profession in the broader sense. since you are so big now and the business model requires constant referrals from physicians I guess we'll never get direct access.

Great place to start your career, but get out after a year or two

Current Employee - PT/ATC in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - PT/ATC in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at AthletiCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people with lots of talent within the clinic setting
    - A slew of specialties, so there's something for just about everybody
    - Nice client population
    - Lots of continuing education opportunities

Cons

- Incompetent managers, from the clinical level to regionals (and probably up to the top) - I do not speak about all the managers, but the ones I encounter on the regular basis have no business managing (many are Kaufman's goons). They lack leadership and garner little respect from the rank and file employees (or us insubordinates). On the plus side, if you can breath, are blind to actually believe what upper management tells you, and preach the AthletiCo propaganda, you can become a manager.
    - Very poor pay
    - Terrible support staff at the corporate office (again, there are some good employees at the home office). They tend to have very cush jobs, and have no clue on how to get things done promptly. AthletiCo really does need to test reading comprehension and reasoning (aka common sense) of their corporate employees.
    - Promotion of questionable and shady billing practices (borderline MC fraud)

Harvest (the company who pumped some funds into AthletiCo) needs to do some major housecleaning at the top or at least evaluate whether many of these managers/employees are worth the money (including Kaufman). There are way too may overpaid people who have been in the company for a long time that don't do a thing. Harvest and Kaufman, do not take your employees for granted. What took so long to be built up can ben taken away instantly.

Amazing group of individuals and professionals

I worked at AthletiCo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had the great opportunity to work alongside AthletiCo staff and from interacting with them, they are highly experienced and knowledgeable, and treat patients with extreme care.

Cons

I cannot say anything horrible about this company, at least from my own experience. It is an amazing company and the individuals there are all very professional.

Great team environment

Current Employee - Rehab Aide in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Rehab Aide in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AthletiCo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Laid back work environment

Cons

Low pay for part-time workers

more thorough training...everything else is great!

Great company with friendly coworkers

Current Employee - Clinic Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Clinic Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AthletiCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is fair but not ground breaking.

Cons

The company is large and has a corporate feel. There are managers to managers to managers. It's hard to make important and positive changes because of too much red tape.

Less micromanaging.

Hardworking people, not so great pay, each clinic differs from the next

Former Employee - Office Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Office Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at AthletiCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people.
    Hire from within first.
    Training program is decent.
    Good place to start in a clinical setting.

Cons

Pay is low.
    Benefits are just okay.
    Long hours.
    Do not recognize most holidays.

Keep tweaking loose ends. You're really good at listening to employees but a meeting doesn't always have to occur to make slight changes.

Physical Therapy Assistant

Current Employee - Physical Therapy Aide in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Physical Therapy Aide in Evanston, IL

I have been working at AthletiCo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Potential for growth if you do well and stick around for long enough.
    Beautiful offices and great clients.
    Staff is very team-oriented and the patient comes first.

Cons

Laundry duties are not very exciting, but someone has to do it! Because the patient comes first you might feel micro-managed from time to time, but it is for good reason. Insurance information and filing can cause extra work even when your shift is over but it's not unreasonable.

Great company, great people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at AthletiCo as an intern

Pros

The people make you feel comfortable, teamwork is big.

Cons

Some people do not manage their time effectively. Certain people are clearly not good fits for the job (marketing).

Make sure every department is being effective in its work.

Work as a aide only as an attempt to get hours, nothing more.

Current Employee - Rehab Aide
    Current Employee - Rehab Aide

I have been working at AthletiCo part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The patients are by far the best part of this job. If it wasn't for them I would have lost my mind. Also, my fellow aides make my work experience better.

Cons

The pay is terrible. It is almost insulting to make so little and be asked to do so much.
    The distribution of labor is horrible between therapists and aides. They ask aides to do their job most times and we merely get a pat on the back.

Make sure the patient care comes first, not numbers.
    Pay people what they're worth