Atieva

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
4.6

Bernard Tse

Fantastic place to work and in a great Silicon Valley location

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Atieva full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with a world class team this is a very rewarding job. Nice to work in for a company where everybody is pulling in the same direction. Free snacks and coffee a bonus ;-)

Cons

You can expect long working hours (but rewarding!)

We do great things

I have been working at Atieva full-time

Pros

Lots of creative, talented people with a wide variety of experience and cultural backgrounds. Very cooperative atmosphere and active inter-department communication keeps everything in perspective without politics getting in the way. People are willing to listen and input is valued. As challenging as the work is, the friendly environment makes these challenges stimulating. Management is accessible at even the highest levels, and there's always something new to learn.

Generous benefits offer peace of mind and a sense of stability. This is a place that knows how to make employees feel appreciated.

Cons

Very under the radar - difficult to discuss with outsiders what we are about, even superficially. But I suppose that's the nature of any startup aiming to make a big impact in the industry.

This is an awesome place to work - in no small part thanks to the company culture. As long as this survives even as we grow, I have no complaints.

Great learning experience, awesome team

I have been working at Atieva full-time

Pros

1) People are incredible; world-class talent, very knowledgeable -- hard to find more talented/brilliant people to learn from; people are also very supportive
    2) Management is good at setting directions w/o micro-managing; flexible in terms of defining my own role and ways of working; we can figure out our own ways of working as long as we get desired results
    3) Much room for personal growth; meritocratic

Cons

1) World-class talent means having a team to support it; not always the brightest part of my day to cater to particular people
    2) Workload is intense, sometimes needs to get done over the weekend; sometimes feels like I can never finish the work... Just stressful enough to make the little accomplishments more enjoyable
    3) Needs to be young-ified a bit; current perks cater to an older demographic; more ping pong, video games, and food would be much appreciated

Perks cater to older demographic - if want more young employees, make the perks more for young people (more free food? ping pong table? better nap room?)

Happy to be here, would recommend to friends

Current Employee - Db8d91db@opayq.com
    Current Employee - Db8d91db@opayq.com

I have been working at Atieva full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It’s a friendly, open culture. There’s not a lot of office politics, and a low tolerance for BS.

The reason I stay here is the learning curve. I’ve more exposure to key decisions / executives in finance, heavy industry, and government than friends who stayed in consulting. Travel to 1st tier Asian cities (e.g., Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong) are also great perks.

The other reason I stay is the results-oriented work culture. No one cares about your age or the hours spent at the office. You’re rated on the quality and reliability of the work.

Once you’re proven, the company works hard to retain and accommodate everyone. An employee took a 5-month sabbatical to backpack around the world. I, myself, was allowed to work remotely for a year in Southeast Asia.

There’s few places care enough to leave a spot for you (or resist the urge to hire your replacement immediately).

Cons

We’re a too tight-lipped in what we disclose externally. Our vision is really cool. If Zenpayroll self-markets as “hacking” and “disrupting” payroll (which they are), what we’re disrupting is far bigger from a revenue and user perspective — but we don’t ever play that up.

We do very meaningful work, and I wish (i) that we could share more externally; (ii) that leadership would constantly articulate and re-articulate our company vision.

The company needs more team bonding events. It has phenomenal holiday parties (i.e., really good date events), but with the company growing so fast, it needs more team building to even ensure we know each other’s names.

The website needs work. I work here, and still have no idea what a “Big Thing” is.

Stay the course, but please keep articulating the course at the company and on the website.

Start up that has no Silicon Valley Culture...

Current Employee - Slave in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Slave in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Atieva full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Has some great talents working in organization
    Very experienced team that has delivered world class product before..

Cons

An open discrimination in this company. EDD should evaluate this company for salary discrimination. There are set of engineers referred by Sr Executive has a clear advantage of salary. As against people who work in G & A, HR, Finance has very low salaries as against industry standards.
    No work life balance, although a silicon valley company, works as high school timings, no working from home, no flexibility.
    The owners's relatives work here, so very dynasty kind of culture.

High time change the policy and treat the employees better..

Work with the best people

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Atieva full-time

Pros

World class engineering team. You know you are working with the best talent possible.
    Open door policy (No door to be exact). Feels like part of something special. Great growth opportunity.
    Even though it is part of automotive industry, company follows silicon valley software start up culture.

Cons

Very secretive and does not advertise its capability or products. People outside have no idea what company does. Sometimes people don't even update their linked in job status to remain secretive.
    Work can be very demanding with unrealistic deadlines but understandable as start-ups needs to move fast.

Great team, with a mission!

I have been working at Atieva full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, very accessible leadership team

Cons

We are growing very fast