Atkins

Atkins Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger

Uwe Krueger

Pros:
  • "Experiece of major projects, good work life balance, good senior level enagement"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Relaxed working environment with flexible work hours"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "No career development during my 3 years at the company (This was during GFC)"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Low pay except for senior management"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stuffy corporate environment at Atkins North America, Inc.

Denver, CO

I worked at Atkins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExposure to a large corporate environment.

ConsExposure to a large corporate, very impersonal business environment

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your daily decisions be guided by your values and beliefs, not your personal goal of financial success.

rollercoaster ride with instability

Miami, FL

I have been working at Atkins full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgreat folks but unstable environment

Consinstability, stressful, dog eat dog

Seasoned Group/Division Manager-level employee

Group/Division Manager Level (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at Atkins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBeing part of a valued company that promotes growth in the engineering, architecture, and consulting (AEC) industries. Opportunity for advancement and involvement in the community. Great administrative support team (HR, IT, Acctg/Finance, Legal)

ConsThe environment is a bit shaky since Atkins acquired PBS&J in 2010-- There have been several executive leadership changes in the last 2 years. Divisions are highly accountable to meet budget numbers given the economic conditions. However, it still retains a strong presence in the AEC industry and provides achievable challenges.

A poorly managed firm that hasn't come to grips with the fact it was acquired

I have been working at Atkins

ProsGood office network. Many talenet and dedicated people, especially at the entry and mid-levels. Flexible work environment.

ConsLow pay except for senior management. Atkins North America is the product of the acquisition of PBSJ by UK-based Atkins in 2010. Yet most former PBSJ senior management don't act like anything has changed. Also, lots of political maneuvering by senior managers to protect their turf. A highly "silo-ed" environment with very little collaboration.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to reorganize. Break down barriers between divisions and regions. Ongoing layoffs hurt morale. Over-emphasis on meeting weekly producitivty numbers diminishes marketing. "Atkins" is a new brand in the US so it needs to think like a start-up.

One of the best companies I worked at.

Project Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
Orange, CA

I worked at Atkins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYou have the opportunity to excell and and accomplish all your goals. Independents is very important. Company has fantastic benefits and you feel valuable.

ConsThe management has made some dum desicions and as a result of it I got laid off. Since the recesion they have been going through some tough times.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management needs to have some great leaders that will guide the company in correct direction. Seems like everyone is for themself.

It's a job.

Engineer II (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Atkins full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's a job. Thing's are pretty good and i've had an opportunity to get a fairly broad range of experience.

ConsWhen things are slow, getting laid off is always on the mind. Although, thats the nature of civil engineer.

I can always use a raise!

Look for a better place, PBS&J's culture is gone after buyout by Atkins Global

Atlanta, GA

I worked at Atkins full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe actual people who do the work at the mid and lower levels are fantastic. There are some really good contracts and some interesting programs. I loved working with my client. The clients were definitely the most interesting part of the job.

ConsThe upper management is awful and North America runs as a good ole' boy structure. No raises for years, hundreds of people have been laid off on more than one occasion with no warning, etc. I loved working for PBS&J and fortunately for me I was tied to a contract so I wasn't one of those laid off at the start, but still had to watch a lot of good people go and not know what was next with no information or time to plan. I can't count how many people called me to say they felt like they were being forced out/shut out. I worked in two different offices, but the management doesn't change so there are no improvements to be gained from moving from one office to another. Not only was I told that I was an integral part of the program team for my client, but other people were told as well...still no raises or advancement. Anyway, after 10 years (8 of those with PBS&J), I quit my job to go make less money because the management was so terrible. I loved working for PBS&J, had planned to someday retire from there and can't even begin to tell you what a disappointment the Atkins takeover and horrible management practices were. They bring people in from the U.K. to work, but as a North American employee you're warned by lower level managers that you could be fired for even talking about transferring to Australia or someplace else for new opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really feel it's too late to regain what you lost. The smart, creative and dedicated people that jumped ship because of the management are so many that they're hard to count. PBS&J has been gutted/destroyed by the buyout and Atkins management will never regain that because the culture is so different. PBS&J was a wonderful, creative and open place that attracted the best of the best. You'll notice that the best keep leaving, which has everything to do with making your employees feel that they don't matter and have no real opportunities, but are boxed in and that the bottom line is the only important thing even when that involves not doing the best job for your client. Additionally, trying to box people into contracts and not letting them transfer out to explore new opportunities only keeps sheep where you want them...the others will leave for lack of opportunity.

consider working here ONLY IF YOU'RE A SHEEP

Orlando, FL

I worked at Atkins

ProsProfessionals who care & sacrifice.The production architects & in-house management always went beyond the call of duty, but were cut off at the knees by ineptitude & arrogance further up.

ConsDisrespectful management, calling consultants vulgar terms after ending a phone call, screaming at a young, female architect because she got a detail wrong,(she quit) throwing a set of drawings at you saying "Pick up these red-lines." which I found out meant do Project Coordination of 12 consultants on 2 buildings - one existing - & he thought THAT should be done in a week!
Don't even think of recording your real time on timesheets - my immediate manager worked every weekend & many evenings the whole time I was there - the entire team had to work Easter Sunday - for FREE!
If a co-worker was at my desk, at 8:08, he received a comment - not from his manager, but mine, to the effect he should have been working for half an hour already - not visiting! And he worked 10 hours a day everyday! Upper management was either a blow-hard or blowing smoke -THAT's why the projects are failing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntimidation is a REALLY out-moded form of management. So is a "Good-ole-boys" club mentality. You CAN'T manage a BIM project if you don't DO BIM. Don't try to bullsh*t your clients.

No longer the progressive, friendly work culture that characterized PBSJ before Atkins.

Tampa, FL

I have been working at Atkins

Prosthis company has great projects, global perspective, extablished client base, plus good benefits and work environment. Rank and file employees are still committed.

ConsNew North American leadership is hierachial and non-communicative. North America business unit ppears to be getting out of the environmental business and overall seems to be pushing out all of the long-term employees who made PBS&J successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's too late to recover what you've lost. Become less arrogant and ask questions of your employeest. Culture means you walk the talk. Integrity begins with top leadership.

Don't expect to advance or treated with prefessional respect

GIS Analyst (Former Employee)
Beltsville, MD

I worked at Atkins

ProsFriendly staff and middle management (for the most part). Never got a 'No' answer when I needed time off for a sick or vacation day.

ConsDisrespectful management, crazy deadlines, not having final data, no raises. If staff (non-management) want to be respected and paid more they are expected to make this their passion, come in off the clock, work weekends, take extra classes for fun, write papers, etc.. When promotion time comes, there's no way for someone that works 40 hours per week and doesn't work extra (off the clock) to get a full 3% raise, those are reserved for those that go above and beyond on their own time. Don't expect to have a work-life balance and be able to get ahead. If you like to make friends and occasionally talk with your fellow employees you will be looked at as a 'slacker' and I don't mean chatting all day I mean socialize as in drop by and have a brief talk with someone about their day, weekend, family, sports, etc.. They will play favorites and reward those who suck up to management. ONLY CONSIDER WORKING HERE IF YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED A JOB! Half the staff has considered leaving for non-professional careers like fast food management, trade school, package delivery, and the like (no knock against those careers but it's not why you go to college and get a degree or advanced degree). You also don't get 'sick days' if you're sick or have an emergency count on using you're accrued vacation time. You get 0 to start and accrue at a rate of 4 hours per week. You can also count on paying for your own holiday party.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over, treat your staff professionally, they are not drones they are people who have lives outside of work. Give them respect, incentives, and TRY to make them feel like coming into work everyday isn't the worst part of their day.

Worked for Atkins? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Atkins reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger. All 114 reviews posted anonymously by Atkins employees.