Atkins

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014

Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger
Uwe Krueger

Pros
  • Experiece of major projects, good work life balance, good senior level enagement (in 19 reviews)

• Very friendly and social working environment with technically excellent staff producing high quality work (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance restricted, Have you tell your boss where to go and be like a kid (in 4 reviews)

• No career development during my 3 years at the company (This was during GFC) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work

Current Employee - Division Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Division Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Atkins full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome people to work with. Company values employees. Good pay and benefits. Recent reorg has put the company on the right track.

Cons

Only have 8 paid holidays. Would like to see more.

Keep up the good work. Need to come up with a strategy to keep the talent.

Absolutely awesome company to work for.

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, flexible schedules for life's personal challenges... The atmosphere at work is awesome. Relatively laid back, with great people to be around. There isn't any negativity, and everyone is always willing to share work, and help each other out. Support for success from the senior leadership team is definitely tops! It's easy to get guidance and help, when there are challenges. An employee can actually carve their own path for success. You just have to put in the effort. Good performance is also recognized.

Cons

None really, after have been with several major engineering firms. Atkins is definitely a top firm.

Continue the current vision, and direction! I definitely feel the love way down here in the "trenches"...

Positive Direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The new CEO has the company energized with a clear vision. We have reorganized to be more competitive and responsive to the market demands. Since I have been with the Company (over 6 years) we have more communications than ever before. The Company offers good benefits and a flexible work schedule that enhances a positive work-life balance. I hope to retire from here.

Cons

I wish we could grow sooner than later so we can be a larger player in the industry.

Keep reinforcing the positive successes and recognize those who deliver.

On a positive upswing!

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Visionary leadership at the global level has cascaded to sharp, innovative talent as managing directors in the regions. The company is taking well-considered risks to change the organization and strengthen its competitive position. You can walk the halls and feel the energy and excitement. The specific focus on a limited set of major goals has continued for several years now, and the results are starting to show. This is not "flavor of the month" management or backing off what needs to be done if someone complains. There is clear demonstration of integrity at the top, which is a positive trust-building position for me.

Cons

We're still working on improvements to processes and back-end systems to support the changes, especially providing enough pathways of communication and attention to managing resistance to change. Like many companies transitioning from being multi-local to being truly global, we have some challenges in building cultural awareness in order to work together.

Bottom line, it's great to continue emphasizing the UK for project work. However, being too UK-centric in building consistent processes and back-end systems makes it harder for employees across the regions to feel like we are one organization.

In my opinion, one of the "Best Places to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Having worked for this Company for lots of years I can honestly say it's a great place to work. Provides excellent opportunity for new graduates to obtain the experience they need to become seasoned professionals, and also allows the seasoned professionals to truly make a difference in planning, designing and enabling solutions. Great benefits and working conditions. A progressive environment. New CEO has breathed fresh air into this Company - has provided definite direction, is visible, involved and within reach. It's a new day here at Atkins.

Cons

Changes must take place for a Company to achieve its vision....so this is NOT A CON. Takes patience and commitment to allow the changes to settle. Positive changes happening here at Atkins.

While we're going through the changes, don't forget to let employees know how much they're appreciated.

Pros and Cons

I have been working at Atkins full-time

Pros

Great hard working staff. Good community

Cons

Company restructuring. Trying to compete with the big dogs at the expense of the staff. Poor pay

One of the best companies I've worked for - collaborative, energetic environment - lots of positive changes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The management team isn't afraid to make changes for the better. The company's seeing positive results from the changes. Management truly cares about the employees, and there are many ways to engage. Very open environment that encourages collaboration and teamwork. The CEO has communicated his vision and has set very clear goals for the organization. There's a very strong client service culture and a focus on innovation and project delivery.

Cons

There really aren't cons that I've found. Some of the staff are struggling with the changes and they tend to be negative, which brings coworkers down. Benefits and pay are comparable to the rest of the industry; opportunities for personal growth are available to those who seek them.

Keep making positive changes - I have seen changes in the last year that have strengthened the organization, reenergized groups, and have given us focus. The emphasis on collaboration, teamwork, and breaking down silos has really helped, we just need to keep moving in that direction!

Good place to start off

I worked at Atkins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place for graduates to work at. You get good experience working in may different projects. Good benefits.

Cons

Very monotonous environment, it is encouraged to work as a team, but there's no such thing, everyone pretty much keeps to themselves.

Getting it right

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A collaborative atmosphere has evolved over the past year, with all market areas looking to bring the varied professional practices together to provide best in class solutions to our clients.

Cons

There are a few remaining silos that need to break down their walls and work collectively to bring the full suite of professional service to their market areas.

Good place to start

I worked at Atkins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good team work. Good environment. flexible work time. I like the idea of group meeting though it was not necessary always.

Cons

Not good paid. no overtime work paying despite of the fact you have to stay late some times. some clerical problem that happened to me there.