Atkins

Atkins Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger

Uwe Krueger

Pros:
  • "Experiece of major projects, good work life balance, good senior level enagement"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Relaxed working environment with flexible work hours"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "No career development during my 3 years at the company (This was during GFC)"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Low pay except for senior management"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It depends on the engineering group that you work for.

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsDepending on the group you work for, you can be on some of the fantastic projects. 9/80 schedule is awesome. people are very friendly

Conswork can get monotonous at times. Noticed a little bit of office politics in some engineering groups

Advice to Senior Managementput senior engineers into managerial positions please !

Inexperienced Group managers!

Consultant (Current Employee)

Prosgood benefits, okay work-life balance, 9/80 schedule is also good

ConsStructures, HSE and process groups are doing very bad, some of group managers threaten the staff to fire if they do not work hard or if they cannot bring projects to the company. Juniors are the slaves, and group managers are the slave drivers. No ethics at all, they fire staff in a minute. They mainly throw them out.

Group managers only deal with politics, they do not know how to manage the staff. My group manager lied to me at least five times.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe y should fire the group managers and bring in experience managers to manage the groups, especially HSE, Structures and Process groups.

terrible Houston management!!

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosnice office, nice staff. Junior engineers are working very hard.

Consthe new management has no understanding of oil&gas industry, the director is under control of the commercial manager.

Office politics are killing this company

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease resign and leave this company alone!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engineer II

Engineer II (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsThis is a well known and established company. It has many of the perks of a large company. They really encourage involvement in professional organizations. The people in my group were amazing and patient. I couldn't have asked for better mentors.

ConsSince the buy out in 2010, the employees don't seem to be as valued as higher ups claim. The benefits of being employee owned are gone. A bit before I was let go, there was a cut of around 100 of the most seasoned and valuable employees in the company to make the numbers better. They seemed to cut their feet out from under them.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't freak out every quarter if the numbers aren't perfect. Wait it out a little longer. Consulting isn't pretty month to month.

Good place to work if you have a good supervisor

ProsThe company offers flexible work timings,a decent benefits package, and has a good pool of technically competent employees. The Houston office has recently started promoting frequent social events for employees.

ConsVery low pay hike %. Lack of a structured growth program, job rotation is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth.

Houston Booming - Atkins Busting

Houston, TX

ProsTalented co-workers. Very good benefits and flexible work schedules to enable a family work life balace. Nice office great dining nearby.

ConsPolitical, corrupt with rampant favortism. Demoralizing & demotivating management style, manage by intimidation. Constant re-organization leaves employees unsettled and fearful of being laid off. Management has admitted for years that they have horrible communication skills yet do not correct. A revolving door for talented people. Declining reputation in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour actions speak louder than words and they say you are out for number one...yourself.

Great staff in need of better management

Senior Technical Staff (Current Employee)

ProsHard working, ethical, creative and talented technical staff. Great support staff

ConsIn past 8 years or so, at least one reorganization every two years. Highest levels of management do not listen to staff on reorgs. They give the impression of such, but dissenting opinions not given much weight. Current alignment has little chance of being successful for some groups, while others will be fine. But why the constant need to rearrange corporate structure?

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. Your technical and support staff are leaving in droves, just as the national economy is picking up steam.

Glad to be off this sinking ship.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsGood geographic coverage and relatively broad (but shrinking) client base.

ConsInexperienced and uninspiring upper management; confusing and inefficient organization; corporate focus is entirely on short term financial performance with little regard for client service, quality, or employee loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe North American CEO has lost control of this company, ceding way too much power to cronies, driving out many of the top employees. The initial identification of problems was insightful, but the radical reorganization created enormous internal churn and distraction at a time when the firm should have been focused on retaining its best clients and employees. The resulting fallout will be very damaging to the competitiveness of the firm.

Change is the only constant at Atkins (North America) ...

Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsExciting projects, great employees
    Flexibility
    Recognizable firm
    Good supervisor
    Enjoyable work
    Good team environment (marketing)

ConsLack of "real" communication from leadership
    Misrepresentation; employees are made to feel they have a voice but don't
    Still A LOT of politics
    Recent layoffs; job security is always on top of mind
    No career path/opportunity for advancement
    Limited marketing resources; a change in processes is coming but in the meantime marketing is expected to keep up the same workload with less staff

A Poisonous, Demoralizing, Dreadful Place to Work,

Senior Scientist (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe Austin office is in a very nice building that is centrally located in the city. PBS&J, the company purchased by Atkins, was a decent place to work.

ConsThis place is ruled by fear and paranoia and is driven by gossip, It is a dog-eat-dog world where a high percentage of the staff are routinely worried about being laid off. The managers are more concerned about posturing and saving their own tails than completing projects or doing quality work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees the resources and the support they need to do their jobs. Make decisions based on sound business judgment rather than fear.

Worked for Atkins? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Atkins reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger. All 131 reviews posted anonymously by Atkins employees.