Atkins

www.atkinsglobal.com
Employer Engaged

Horrible company

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

I honestly can't think of any pros

Cons

Alot of descrimination and no advancement opportunities

In my opinion, one of the "Best Places to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Having worked for this Company for lots of years I can honestly say it's a great place to work. Provides excellent opportunity for new graduates to obtain the experience they need to become seasoned professionals, and also allows the seasoned professionals to truly make a difference in planning, designing and enabling solutions. Great benefits and working conditions. A progressive environment. New CEO has breathed fresh air into this Company - has provided definite direction, is visible, involved and within reach. It's a new day here at Atkins.

Cons

Changes must take place for a Company to achieve its vision....so this is NOT A CON. Takes patience and commitment to allow the changes to settle. Positive changes happening here at Atkins.

While we're going through the changes, don't forget to let employees know how much they're appreciated.

Absolutely awesome company to work for.

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, flexible schedules for life's personal challenges... The atmosphere at work is awesome. Relatively laid back, with great people to be around. There isn't any negativity, and everyone is always willing to share work, and help each other out. Support for success from the senior leadership team is definitely tops! It's easy to get guidance and help, when there are challenges. An employee can actually carve their own path for success. You just have to put in the effort. Good performance is also recognized.

Cons

None really, after have been with several major engineering firms. Atkins is definitely a top firm.

Continue the current vision, and direction! I definitely feel the love way down here in the "trenches"...

Positive Direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The new CEO has the company energized with a clear vision. We have reorganized to be more competitive and responsive to the market demands. Since I have been with the Company (over 6 years) we have more communications than ever before. The Company offers good benefits and a flexible work schedule that enhances a positive work-life balance. I hope to retire from here.

Cons

I wish we could grow sooner than later so we can be a larger player in the industry.

Keep reinforcing the positive successes and recognize those who deliver.

On a positive upswing!

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Visionary leadership at the global level has cascaded to sharp, innovative talent as managing directors in the regions. The company is taking well-considered risks to change the organization and strengthen its competitive position. You can walk the halls and feel the energy and excitement. The specific focus on a limited set of major goals has continued for several years now, and the results are starting to show. This is not "flavor of the month" management or backing off what needs to be done if someone complains. There is clear demonstration of integrity at the top, which is a positive trust-building position for me.

Cons

We're still working on improvements to processes and back-end systems to support the changes, especially providing enough pathways of communication and attention to managing resistance to change. Like many companies transitioning from being multi-local to being truly global, we have some challenges in building cultural awareness in order to work together.

Bottom line, it's great to continue emphasizing the UK for project work. However, being too UK-centric in building consistent processes and back-end systems makes it harder for employees across the regions to feel like we are one organization.

Company won't be long in Houston

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a good place to work with good colleagues and good management. I had fun for a few years here.

Cons

Oil and gas management is terrible. They treat you with complete disrespect. They brag about themselves more than they do work. Nobody here cares about your development. It's really hard to come to work everyday.

Give up in Houston. You should close the office and HOE. Neither is needed in this market. You do not understand leadership or America and you will continue to lose money here.

Lots of Recent False Positive Reviews by Management

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salaries and benefits that are generally competitive with other big global engineering firms. But don't rely on the recent positive reviews. Rather, actually talk to current and previous Atkins employees before you accept a job with this company. The best talent left long ago and most of those that are left are actively looking to get out. Increasing shareholder value - stock price - is the only value this company promotes.

Cons

Toxic cut-throat environment; little or no appreciation of employees - you are only as good as your last timesheet; very quick to layoff employees after projects are completed; no long-term commitment to retaining experienced staff; sales and business development strategy is completely lacking as evidenced by declining revenues; U.S. organizational scheme is highly flawed, confusing and inefficient; U.S. CEO is untrustworthy and uninspiring.

My advice to Uwe Kreuger would be sell the U.S. franchise while you can as your Euro-centric approach to the U.S. market is failing.

One of the best companies I've worked for - collaborative, energetic environment - lots of positive changes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The management team isn't afraid to make changes for the better. The company's seeing positive results from the changes. Management truly cares about the employees, and there are many ways to engage. Very open environment that encourages collaboration and teamwork. The CEO has communicated his vision and has set very clear goals for the organization. There's a very strong client service culture and a focus on innovation and project delivery.

Cons

There really aren't cons that I've found. Some of the staff are struggling with the changes and they tend to be negative, which brings coworkers down. Benefits and pay are comparable to the rest of the industry; opportunities for personal growth are available to those who seek them.

Keep making positive changes - I have seen changes in the last year that have strengthened the organization, reenergized groups, and have given us focus. The emphasis on collaboration, teamwork, and breaking down silos has really helped, we just need to keep moving in that direction!

Good place to start off

I worked at Atkins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place for graduates to work at. You get good experience working in may different projects. Good benefits.

Cons

Very monotonous environment, it is encouraged to work as a team, but there's no such thing, everyone pretty much keeps to themselves.

Pros and Cons

I have been working at Atkins full-time

Pros

Great hard working staff. Good community

Cons

Company restructuring. Trying to compete with the big dogs at the expense of the staff. Poor pay