Atkins

Updated December 13, 2014
3.1

Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger
Uwe Krueger

Pros
  • Experiece of major projects, good work life balance, good senior level enagement (in 19 reviews)

• Very friendly and social working environment with technically excellent staff producing high quality work (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance restricted, Have you tell your boss where to go and be like a kid (in 4 reviews)

• No career development during my 3 years at the company (This was during GFC) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Significant management change for the better

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Atkins full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial Spirit: Management of adults by adults. Very smart group of people.
    Stabilized very positively. The outlook is very strong.

Cons

New structures have been put in place - there is some concern but they appear to be very positive.

Keep the positive methods and outlook.

Stuffy corporate environment at Atkins North America, Inc.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Atkins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to a large corporate environment.

Cons

Exposure to a large corporate, very impersonal business environment

Let your daily decisions be guided by your values and beliefs, not your personal goal of financial success.

rollercoaster ride with instability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great folks but unstable environment

Cons

instability, stressful, dog eat dog

Seasoned Group/Division Manager-level employee

Former Employee - Group/Division Manager Level in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Group/Division Manager Level in Orlando, FL

I worked at Atkins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being part of a valued company that promotes growth in the engineering, architecture, and consulting (AEC) industries. Opportunity for advancement and involvement in the community. Great administrative support team (HR, IT, Acctg/Finance, Legal)

Cons

The environment is a bit shaky since Atkins acquired PBS&J in 2010-- There have been several executive leadership changes in the last 2 years. Divisions are highly accountable to meet budget numbers given the economic conditions. However, it still retains a strong presence in the AEC industry and provides achievable challenges.

A poorly managed firm that hasn't come to grips with the fact it was acquired

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

Good office network. Many talenet and dedicated people, especially at the entry and mid-levels. Flexible work environment.

Cons

Low pay except for senior management. Atkins North America is the product of the acquisition of PBSJ by UK-based Atkins in 2010. Yet most former PBSJ senior management don't act like anything has changed. Also, lots of political maneuvering by senior managers to protect their turf. A highly "silo-ed" environment with very little collaboration.

Time to reorganize. Break down barriers between divisions and regions. Ongoing layoffs hurt morale. Over-emphasis on meeting weekly producitivty numbers diminishes marketing. "Atkins" is a new brand in the US so it needs to think like a start-up.

One of the best companies I worked at.

Former Employee - Project Financial Analyst in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Project Financial Analyst in Orange, CA

I worked at Atkins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You have the opportunity to excell and and accomplish all your goals. Independents is very important. Company has fantastic benefits and you feel valuable.

Cons

The management has made some dum desicions and as a result of it I got laid off. Since the recesion they have been going through some tough times.

The upper management needs to have some great leaders that will guide the company in correct direction. Seems like everyone is for themself.

It's a job.

Current Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Atkins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. Thing's are pretty good and i've had an opportunity to get a fairly broad range of experience.

Cons

When things are slow, getting laid off is always on the mind. Although, thats the nature of civil engineer.

I can always use a raise!

Look for a better place, PBS&J's culture is gone after buyout by Atkins Global

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Atkins full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The actual people who do the work at the mid and lower levels are fantastic. There are some really good contracts and some interesting programs. I loved working with my client. The clients were definitely the most interesting part of the job.

Cons

The upper management is awful and North America runs as a good ole' boy structure. No raises for years, hundreds of people have been laid off on more than one occasion with no warning, etc. I loved working for PBS&J and fortunately for me I was tied to a contract so I wasn't one of those laid off at the start, but still had to watch a lot of good people go and not know what was next with no information or time to plan. I can't count how many people called me to say they felt like they were being forced out/shut out. I worked in two different offices, but the management doesn't change so there are no improvements to be gained from moving from one office to another. Not only was I told that I was an integral part of the program team for my client, but other people were told as well...still no raises or advancement. Anyway, after 10 years (8 of those with PBS&J), I quit my job to go make less money because the management was so terrible. I loved working for PBS&J, had planned to someday retire from there and can't even begin to tell you what a disappointment the Atkins takeover and horrible management practices were. They bring people in from the U.K. to work, but as a North American employee you're warned by lower level managers that you could be fired for even talking about transferring to Australia or someplace else for new opportunities.

I really feel it's too late to regain what you lost. The smart, creative and dedicated people that jumped ship because of the management are so many that they're hard to count. PBS&J has been gutted/destroyed by the buyout and Atkins management will never regain that because the culture is so different. PBS&J was a wonderful, creative and open place that attracted the best of the best. You'll notice that the best keep leaving, which has everything to do with making your employees feel that they don't matter and have no real opportunities, but are boxed in and that the bottom line is the only important thing even when that involves not doing the best job for your client. Additionally, trying to box people into contracts and not letting them transfer out to explore new opportunities only keeps sheep where you want them...the others will leave for lack of opportunity.

consider working here ONLY IF YOU'RE A SHEEP

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Atkins

Pros

Professionals who care & sacrifice.The production architects & in-house management always went beyond the call of duty, but were cut off at the knees by ineptitude & arrogance further up.

Cons

Disrespectful management, calling consultants vulgar terms after ending a phone call, screaming at a young, female architect because she got a detail wrong,(she quit) throwing a set of drawings at you saying "Pick up these red-lines." which I found out meant do Project Coordination of 12 consultants on 2 buildings - one existing - & he thought THAT should be done in a week!
    Don't even think of recording your real time on timesheets - my immediate manager worked every weekend & many evenings the whole time I was there - the entire team had to work Easter Sunday - for FREE!
    If a co-worker was at my desk, at 8:08, he received a comment - not from his manager, but mine, to the effect he should have been working for half an hour already - not visiting! And he worked 10 hours a day everyday! Upper management was either a blow-hard or blowing smoke -THAT's why the projects are failing.

Intimidation is a REALLY out-moded form of management. So is a "Good-ole-boys" club mentality. You CAN'T manage a BIM project if you don't DO BIM. Don't try to bullsh*t your clients.

No longer the progressive, friendly work culture that characterized PBSJ before Atkins.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

this company has great projects, global perspective, extablished client base, plus good benefits and work environment. Rank and file employees are still committed.

Cons

New North American leadership is hierachial and non-communicative. North America business unit ppears to be getting out of the environmental business and overall seems to be pushing out all of the long-term employees who made PBS&J successful.

It's too late to recover what you've lost. Become less arrogant and ask questions of your employeest. Culture means you walk the talk. Integrity begins with top leadership.