AtlantiCare

David P. Tilton

Ok

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Atlantic City, NJ
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Atlantic City, NJ

I worked at AtlantiCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Loss of teamwork among colleagues

Listen to all sides of a story

Huge Bureaucracy/Disorganized

Former Employee - Desktop Support in Egg Harbor Township, NJ
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I worked at AtlantiCare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people to work with
    Up to date technology
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Huge bureaucracy: we were waiting on a program that would help with the transition from Windows XP to Windows 7 but during the 7 months I was there it was still stuck with the legal team, so we had to migrate each profile manually (about 3,000 PCs, sometimes multiple profiles per PC) which took far more time than it should have since we had to look through all their files and decide which ones were important

IT team doesn't really help each other out: we relied on the engineers to create system images for us to deploy on the machines that we were swapping out but we would have to wait weeks to get an image that we needed with all the updates and programs in it. We ended up using clean images then spending a hour or two per machine to apply Windows updates and then another hour or two to install software that was needed on each PC, other software needed to be installed on location which took even more time. Also one of techs stationed at one of the hospitals was a miserable old guy and refused to help anyone out. The first time he met me he berated me asking who authorized what I was doing, what I was doing and it shouldn't have been done at this time of day, etc...

Poor management: my team was composed of one full time employee, myself and another contracted worker. The full time employee was the head of the team and had only been there for a year so he didn't know much about the software that was in use and that we were installing. On top of managing this massive project, he was also doing his daily tickets that he had to do. For the first few months we would do areas of the company together and everything went well, even doing the individual buildings on my own went well. Problems arose when we moved on to the actual hospitals: I was unfamiliar with the layouts of the hospitals and was sent to one of them and told to go to an area but no explanation as to where it was, once I found it after a half hour I was met with unfamiliar software and no information about it since no intelligence was gathered beforehand like we had done with all the other buildings. I attempted to install it the usual way, which seemed to work and I went to lunch. When I got back they told it that it didn't work and the old guy mentioned above came down to scream at me again, offered no help even after I asked him if he knew how to install it, which he responded "yes" and then walked away. After finally finding documentation on how to install it, it didn't work since the instructions were for XP instead of 7 and required further information. I tried getting in contact with him for hours via phone calls, emails and text messages but to no avail. I was 25 minutes away from the office so I couldn't easily get back there either. After finally getting a hold of him at the end of the day and told him the situation, it was made to seem like it was my fault. I later talked to the System Administrator and told him about this scenario and his response was exactly what I thought: "[full time employee] is in over his head and doesn't know what he's doing. Those were my machines and they're connected to [redacted] hospital and you'd never get it working anyway."

There were also days or even entire weeks where we were dead-locked with nothing to do because a certain departments were busy and we couldn't get in to swap out their machines. We were supposed to do 125 a week, we were lucky if we hit 50.

Lastly I was always forced to look busy even if I was. While I was waiting for machines to be images and had nothing else to do my actual manager would scold me for not doing anything, even when I showed him I was waiting for them to imaged.

Medical Assistant

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Egg Harbor Township, NJ
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I worked at AtlantiCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I did not have to work weekends

Cons

There were no opportunities for advancement

Best to keep your head down, and your mouth shut.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Atlantic City, NJ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Atlantic City, NJ

I have been working at AtlantiCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, and benefits, commradery among the staff

Cons

The employees need a union desperately, unlike years ago when I joined the workstaff. Decisions affecting your future are not made objectively.

Prepare for unionization

Used to be a much better place to work.

I have been working at AtlantiCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Location, technology, retirement match, annual salary raises and bonus (depending on if the entire health system meets certain goals i.e. overall customer service scores). Coworkers.

Cons

Management is extremely disconnected from what we actually need to perform our jobs and what we actually do. AtlantiCare seems to keep promoting leadership until they are in a position they are completely unqualified for, and frankly, not good at. Wayyyyy too top heavy, way too many leadership roles, i.e. there are managers, directors, AVPs and leadership above them. They tighten the reins on OT and staffing to save money, yet they have all these people in leadership positions that don't need to exist. Way too many nurses in high leadership positions and not enough balance of providers who actually known and remember what it takes to safely care for our patients. They make sure they employees known that they are completely expendable, it's actually in the employee handbook now in not so many words, they don't make us feel respected and values anymore, we are the machines there to get them their customer service scores and do the grunt work so they can get their huge annual bonuses, there's no feeling of pride or loyalty for many anymore.

Pare down all the leadership positions and get out of your ivory towers.

Employees not treated with respect

I have been working at AtlantiCare full-time

Pros

They pay competitively well, but they need to in order to keep workers-- and even that doesnt work

Cons

I have never had a job in my life from a cashier to salesperson, waitress or anything else where i was treated with such disrespect.
     Not only does managment act as if you dont exist, you only have conversations with them when they tell you that you didnt do something right.
    Employees are kept in the dark in most situations and have no say in anything. I dont even think my manager knew my name for the first year I was here.
    No staff meetings. No eye contact.
    Just punch in-work-gohome. do it again tomorow.

In my short time at atlanticare i have seen more than 7 employees in the same department quit and they all say the same thing.
     The money isnt worth being treated like a red headed step child.

Get down off your high horse and have a little compassion for us "worker bees". We all did go to school to get where we are and deserve some sort of respect.
    Have staff meetings - not even just to talk about business but how about to talk bout the work enviroment. Talk with each other for a moment. Maybe if you actually talked to me you would realize I am a person too, with a life outside of these four walls.

Like a second family!

I have been working at AtlantiCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company cultue, smart leadership, results focused, customer and patient oriented. People here love what they do, why they do it, and who they work with. Senior Leadership has made great decisions to position our company as a healthcare leader that will thrive through healthcare reform. We provide high quality care to our patients. Very proud to work for AtlantiCare.

Cons

I don't have any to share

Keep doing what you're doing

A balanced place to work

Current Employee - Staff Anesthesiologist in Atlantic City, NJ
    Current Employee - Staff Anesthesiologist in Atlantic City, NJ

I have been working at AtlantiCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Colleagues essentially friendly, CRNA's excellent training and very helpful and pleasant, good job to balance a job and family. Salary very commensurate with the best.

Cons

Work load has increased over the years as in most hospitals.

More attention to what your staff reductions have done to patient care. The patients are much sicker and they could use more staff for better attention.

patient access

Former Employee - Patient Access in Pomona, NJ
    Former Employee - Patient Access in Pomona, NJ

I worked at AtlantiCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

very nice people to work ith

Cons

transfers not forthcoming, promotions a little slow forthcoming

a lot to be considered

doc

I have been working at AtlantiCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

compensation good as of now and time off good

Cons

management really lacking in training and experience