Atlantic Media Company

Reset
3.3
Justin B. Smith

1. Review

I have been working at Atlantic Media Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong company culture and benefits

Cons

Internal communication between teams can sometimes be difficult

2. Marketing Company in Media Clothing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Nice office with many smart people about. Good benefits. Good products with long, venerable history. You may get to meet James Fallows. Some offices have none of the cons listed below, and are staffed by smart, calm, and thoughtful people doing very good work.

Cons

Lack of leadership and large turnover. Long hours and cliquish attitudes from some. Large turnover means there is little institutional knowledge. NYC marketing office runs the show and are often horrendous people to work with. Spastic demands for things to be done "five minutes ago" and working over Christmas. Unwillingness to give anybody who isn't in marketing any kind of authority. Some intentional sabotage of group dynamic (telling a group that they are going to compete for a promotion like it was a game show) and mind games (I see it's not the first time it's mentioned here!). Without much of a leadership structure, nobody to complain to. Blathery, pompous speeches from CEOs that said nothing.

3. Start-up enviroments backed by legacy brands & active owner

I have been working at Atlantic Media Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate culture is driven by visionary David Bradley, while allowing business unit leads to manage day to day operations and identify growth opportunities. New business lines are approached in a start up mentality and company, across all brands, is looking for ways to innovate. Ideas and entrepreneurship matters.

Cons

Shifting legacy niche print publications to thriving digital journalism and resource based business is a challenge confronted everyday.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path that has been identified, but find opportunities for business-side of brands to work collaboratively to serve similar clients.

Toxic environment

Former Employee - Writer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Writer in Washington, DC

I worked at Atlantic Media Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Company uses Macs if you're full time. Reimburses cell phone bill. "Unlimited" vacation time. "Good place to be from," people have said.

Cons

Politico's notoriously toxic culture migrated across the river. It's an environment of competition, favoritism, and mind games. Pay is terrible, too. Bringing in big names from the outside is more important than retaining the people they have.

Advice to Management

They'll continue to stew in mediocrity until they get the picture. 60 year old white men who treat the website like their blog can only do so much for your reputation.

6. Great company and thought leader in DC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Atlantic Media Company full-time

Pros

Well established company, young and enthusiastic staff, and supportive of moving to different roles within the organization

Cons

Pay is just okay and the Watergate is somewhat of an inconvenient location

The Atlantic - amazing. Corporate, not so much

I worked at Atlantic Media Company full-time

Pros

The brands are unreal. You meet some amazing people who are driven to no end. During my time with The Atlantic magazine, I grew more than I thought I ever could. Great place to learn a ton. Also Justin Smith hasn't been the CEO in a while...

Cons

Senior management needs a boot. Super unfortunate, but I did not learn much from anybody except my peers. Senior management is way too comfortable and they do not do much.

Advice to Management

New management is definitely needed all around. Not new 20 year old sales executives. New higher ups.

8. corporate structure needs work

I worked at Atlantic Media Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great values -good balance -happy hours -company is expanding rapidly -exposure and experiences

Cons

-company is outgrowing its' bandwidth -corporate structure is not large enough for all of their entities -employees are either incompetent and 21 years old, or 40 year old enabled vp's -serious turnover rate

Advice to Management

the turnover rate should indicate that there is a structural issue within the company and IMO it is because the corporate offices do not expand with the entities.

9. Consistently great content, behind the scenes worst qualities of a WASP come to fruition.

I worked at Atlantic Media Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The journalists and editorial staff are incredibly smart, humble, and forward-thinking. Their sales people are the best at what they do. So go here if you want to learn to sell into top-tier brands well.

Cons

During my time there I witnessed an incredible amount of leadership in-fighting between the Washington and NY offices which was unproductive for all involved, especially those who were trying to perform despite the circumstances. These same "leaders" would draw assumptions without actually putting in the time to understand and familiarize with actual work performance, instead preferring to work off of their pre-conceived notions of how they "believed" someone was doing. I worked outrageous hours - half of which was spent doing my job, and the other half I spent fielding political land-mines as a result of poor leadership and senseless, inaccurate gossiping. They have no feedback process whatsoever, instead preferring to use "reserved silence" as an indicator that something is not to their liking. Their sales teams are unfamiliar with the concept of trying to work together and help one another - they miss the bigger picture of a rising tide that lifts all boats. That said, that might be as a result of the way the compensation process is set-up so I don't want to be overly critical as their sales team is also quite talented. Also, they try to tell you that their publications are "start-ups." They are many things, but are not start-ups. If you are not earning equity, it isn't a startup. Period.

Advice to Management

Learn to establish and manage expectations, and be direct. Being in a leadership position does not make you a leader, management and leadership training should be made available and put into action.

10. Positive, but disappointing (this review applies to the business side)

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Atlantic Media Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people; everyone is tremendously friendly and easy-going. Lots of intelligent people. Some opportunities to do interesting work, although this is extremely dependent on your particular managers. Your experience is completely contingent on what you expect: if you want an interesting job for a year or two, this is a good one. If you're hoping for something long-term, this probably isn't the place. I was happy to get the job, I was happy while I was there, but I was also happy to leave. The star ratings below don't capture the positive stuff well. The single greatest thing the company has is its ability to attract smart young people; those people make it a good place to work.

Cons

The basic approach is to burn through young, cheap employees. This works fine, but it's not the best environment if you're interested in a long-term situation. If you don't care about a short-term, uncertain length job, this is a great one to take. You'll learn some good things, meet some great people, and if you end up getting too frustrated you'll probably be fired shortly afterwards (which really works out fine for everyone; optimal firing times should be a pro). There is massive and widespread frustration among business and research staff. I did not meet a single non-manager who was really happy about what they were doing, although the levels of irritation varied substantially. It's the sort of company where most employees are frustrated and bitter about the way things work, but no one expects anything to be done about it. Makes for amusing happy-hour conversations, but it's not the best environment for the sort of company they say they want to be. As a general point, you will not be promoted beyond a low-mid level if you don't have a background at one of the owner's companies (CEB / Advisory Board). If you're brought in at management level, you'll probably be fine, although they will fire you quickly if you're not quite right. I met one manager who wasn't from the same background as the others. She was fired after 6 months. If you don't have the right background, you should be very cautious about accepting a position. Your ability to succeed is 100% dependent on your fit with the style of those organizations, which is somewhat idiosyncratic. Have seen it work great for some, but terribly for others. Just be aware of that.

Advice to Management

Don't want to recommend changing the business and employee-relations model, since it's by design and it works pretty well. The company is profitable (I'm pretty sure, at least). I would really just prefer some honesty about the management approach. Personally, I might have taken the job knowing what I know now, but I still felt like I was lied to during the hiring process. I really don't know whether or not living and dying by reputation is sustainable. Management thinks it is (if they've thought about it).

My experience at this company was positive; I learned basic useful skills related to spreadsheets and list management.

Pros

Idealistic company with young, vibrant employees; fairly laid-back office culture but still businesslike. Flexible leave policy and reasonable hours (roughly 9-6pm).

Cons

Some repetitive work on list management, etc.; the onus to introduce creativity into the workplace is on each employee.

RSS Feed </> Embed