Atlantic Media Company

Atlantic Media Company Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Justin B. Smith

Thrilling, Progressive, Generous Company

ProsYou work alongside the best people in the Country no matter the department. Amazing leaders and innovators. Everyone has a sense of purpose and agreeable attitude.
    Unlimited time off.
    The Wire, The Atlantic and Quartz are all in an amazing loft near Union Square

ConsWe already seem to be outgrowing our space so I hope we move before too many new hires are made

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up - I like that there has been more structure put in place with the office this year. There is also someone from corporate now here every day and it's nice for employee issues. There used to be a bigger sense of uncertainty that has dissolved.

writer

Digital Media Writer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosfun office environment, nice people, lots of events

Conspoor management should keep talented writers by shifting them around to avoid burnout

Advice to Senior Managementretain talented writers

Editorial Fellow

Editorial Fellow (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsBest media company in America if not the world. High class culture and values. You'll be surrounded by the smartest people you'll ever have in an office.

ConsVery "Ivy League-ish" Most people come from the same background so it's not the most diverse office I've ever been in.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey're absolutely great!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun team of passionate individuals. Painfully understaffed & overworked.

Media Planner (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCoworkers are positive and have a "can do" attitude.

ConsGiant holes in management competence on all levels. Minimal perks for media/tech company.

Wonderful place to work

Editorial (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe Atlantic Media Company provided an intellectual and engaging work environment with collegial and motivating coworkers. The company is creative and innovative. It was a privilege to work here. I was regularly inspired by the talent with which I was surrounded. The company did a great job navigating the changing journalism landscape and adapting to changes in how readers consume media while simultaneously valuing traditional print content.

ConsIt was competitive to find a job at the Atlantic Media Company because there was low turnover on the staff -- at least on the editorial side. There were more opportunities on the web content side vs. print.

Was a technologist for Quartz

Anonymous (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIn the early days there was the potential to do something new and interesting.

ConsFor a supposedly tech-savvy product, there was no real technical talent in management. Engineers expected to work 80+ hour weeks putting out fires. There has been management turnover since, hopefully this has changed.

Some core staff members have an attitude and I didn't find the culture overall to be very friendly.

Very DC

Account Director (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe access to people of power is awesome.
    Company Lunch room is nice.
    Rosita, Rosita, Rosita!!!
    Great location

ConsVery cliquish
    Lots of cronyism on the business side.
    Obsession with beating Politico has ruined the brand and cheapened the coverage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to reduce turnover.

Great place to work, especially when learning the DC media landscape.

ProsInteresting and intelligent colleagues
    Close work with editorial side
    Always something interesting going on in publishing

ConsUnclear career path
    Management is hit or miss, with much of it being excellent but a few folks who just seem to be incumbents.

Friendly Culture, But a Clique Mentality

Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Wonderfully friendly colleagues who really are committed to their jobs.
    - Ability to work with thought leaders, journalists, and learn from the Atlantic and National Journal
    - Spirit of generosity drives business decisions and hiring decisions.
    - Flex time for PTO. Meaning you just take the days you need!

Cons- Low pay by DC standards.
    - Friendly culture can turn into a clique culture with a lot of gossip.
    - Not having the right friendships could hurt your career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen making career path decisions, get to know the people you are actually promoting or managing as opposed to relying on hearsay.

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFlexible work arrangements are allowed. The average age of employees is probably mid-30s. There are a lot of young works. The company is trying to be progressive.

Easy commute from VA. 10 minute walk from GW and Foggy Bottom.

ConsThe Watergate Building could use an update. Employees have to pay to park either at the Watergate or the Kennedy Center.

Worked for Atlantic Media Company? Contribute to the Community!