Atlantic.Net Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Marty Puranik

1. Great place to gain experience.

I have been working at Atlantic.Net full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will gain extremely valuable experience in just about every field of IT. Great place to hone your Linux skills, which for me was sorely needed. There are days when you will deal with almost everything that modern day IT has to offer, from dial-up to cloud server issues, from dedicated server builds to running cable. It is a great place to work if you are legitimately interested in the field and enjoy working with a team of like minded people (for the most part).

Cons

The main problem I see is that Atlantic.Net does not pay enough to keep it's employees. Raises do not seem to be a thing here. Despite the newly established employee reviews, which are conducted every so often, they do not mean anything in regards to pay. For a position that requires you to truly multi-task between many kinds of system and technologies, I would expect far more in compensation. The end result is a team of technicians always on the lookout for better paying positions. A lot of which require far less in terms of workload and skill sets.

Advice to Management

I thought management was great; very knowledgeable and down to earth. They intervene when necessary but do not micro-manage. By management I mean the Operations Manager. Good boss in my opinion.

2. Underpaid, overworked but a great place to learn valuable skills.

Former Employee - Network Ops Tech in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - Network Ops Tech in Maitland, FL

I worked at Atlantic.Net full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to lots of different technologies like VOIP, Cisco routers/switches, Linux servers, Windows servers, etc. Able to experiment on test servers with these technologies on the limited free time available.

Cons

Always busy, constant flow of customer issues from a wide range of tech levels, from grandma having trouble with her dialup, to helping Colo customers trace a DDoS attack. Need to be able to flip constantly between these type of tasks.

Advice to Management

Workers here need more incentive to stay with the company. From my experience, the below average pay combined with the amount of skills you aquire, make working here a stepping stone to bigger and better paying jobs.

3. Good place to work if you are in college

Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Atlantic.Net

Pros

flexible schedules business casual workplae good people with desire to learn and help each other

Cons

lower paying than other customer service positions difficult to advance

Advice to Management

more metrics provided to reps to know how we are performing on the floor, and overall as a team information from senior management should be more available and ther should be a comment box that is to be shared with senior managelment at each dept, it shouldnt always have to be provided to the suervisor to translate to senior managers.

How many hats can one person wear?

Former Employee - Linux Administrator
    Former Employee - Linux Administrator

I worked at Atlantic.Net

Pros

Entirely a hands on job. Great way to learn the ropes. It is a data center after all. Use them how they will use you and move on. Just know that from day one and you might keep your sanity and health. A lesson I learned the hard way.

Cons

Grinding the stone gets tiresome. Especially when pleading with management how to do things better. Unfortunately the higher ups have no management or people skills. Giving constructive criticism from a technical point of view that what we are doing is absolutely wrong is a jab to their ego and a personal attack on their position. Attempting to climb the ladder is futile and from what turns into opportunity turns into heartache. Projects will be proposed, started, and never finished or even the more insane; projects that have no tangible meaning will be initiated and finished. Basically doing the wrong thing is normal, planning for anything is negated, and catastrophe is met with panic. While one would think to learn from their mistakes; they do not and shrug it off and move in in the context of more sales, unicorns and shiny things. It's like high school all over again. Highly depressing. There are double standards when it comes to techs, and other senior administrator who does what he pleases which is usually doing nothing. There are only about 8 techs, most unskilled because of the pay rate. This causes a lot of the work to be skewed. Despite, raises are never given, supplies are never bought, people are never hired, spending is not an option. Even so with the few employees here, I have never met the CEO. Pizza for the Christmas party. No coffee pot or coffee. Asking for a raise is met with double talk and lies. Being chastised by email is a usual occurrence for miniscule things, and usually because lack of proper guidance, procedure or support. Management refuses to actually show up and prefers to work from home. Of course, they are doing nothing. It's just sad to think how intimidated I was and it turned out this way.

Advice to Management

As cliche as it is, pay people more.

RSS Feed </> Embed