Atlantic Records

Updated Mar 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Craig Kallman

Publicity Intern (Current Employee)
    Burbank, CA

ProsAs a publicity intern, my role was very hands on in the department. Luckily I had a very strong relationship with my mentor who trusted me with responsibilities and working with the publicists on a regular basis. I was an intern for a little over six months and I learned more there than any other real job that i've ever held.

ConsIf you don't have a strong relationship with a mentor it's very easy to get lost in the office and have no one know who the heck you are. There are also very few opportunities to actually gain employment in the LA office because it's so small.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring an art department to the Los Angeles office.

Has its pros and cons

Marketing Assistant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsVery long hours with embarrassingly low pay. There aren't many resources available to help employees grow and become more skilled workers. Can be very stressful at times resulting in some employees having horrible attitudes.

ConsLaid back environment and very easy to network and even befriend some executives.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your employees.

Not Much Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsConnections and experience in the industry.

ConsVery little opportunities to move up in the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great working environment

ProsCreative people, great artists, great leaders and team

ConsI don't have any cons

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsLearned a lot about the industry

ConsHours were sometimes long. Would've liked more variety with projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Showcases

A good start, tough on young folks

Digital Marketing (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat Networking, Great company name for anyone looking to get into the music business. A few smart people, some nationally recognized acts. nice way to beef up resume

Conslong hours, low pay, about half of the executives act privileged. Very unstable environment (typical music industry). But the worst part is the senior executive staff and their treatment of anyone manager level and below.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave confidence in your abilities and don't find ways to keep down the smart new young people who want a chance to shine. It kills the progression of company culture and brings everything down in the long run

Wonderful corporate intern experience at creative company

Digital Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe creative people/environment. You get to exercise your creative muscles everyday. Work was like... fun. I love how you walk into the office and you're surrounded by music history. They also had a good number of other intern opportunities in addition to your designated intern position. Sometimes you get to work events or concerts and even meet the artists. The travel stipend I guess is a pro.

ConsThe travel stipend. It's a con as well because it only covers NYC subway for all interns. I still paid a significant amount for transportation because I traveled by train from Jersey three times a week. The biggest con, however, is that you don't often get time or chances to meet people outside your department. Mainly because, well, you're working...

Atlantic is a very energetic company with a team that clearly loves what they do and who they represent.

Intern (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- Energetic atmosphere and a dynamic work environment;
    - The employees and management on every level come together to work well as a team;
    - Every department seems to excel at what they do. Beyond this, they display a clear understanding and respect for the other departments, which fosters collaboration;
    - Opportunities to gain experience in other departments and explore different roles within the industry;
    - The ability to expose yourself to every genre of music - Opportunities to attend Atlantic artist's shows and meet with them to better understand the artists you represent;
    - The ability to pursue job opportunities and create valuable connections that will help you long after your internship.
    - Management and employees are always more than willing to meet with the interns to give them a better understanding of what they do and provide advice;
    - Projects to create collaboration between the interns as well employees to achieve a more real "hands on" experience of the music industry;
    - Intern events featuring guest speakers from within the company where they shed light on what they do and answer any questions interns might have, or just offer advice to the interns.

Cons- Unpaid (Goes with the internship territory obviously);
    - From what I can see, opportunities to move laterally within the company are always available, but the ability to move up the ladder don't seem to be very abundant.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe role of an employee is to perform a specific job that adds value to the company. In return for their time, energy, creativity, and value to the company's overall goals they receive monetary compensation. In contrast, interns that perform many of the same roles as employees (over an obviously shorter period of time) are compensated in college credit. While this may be satisfactory to some, the cost of travel, food, and living expenses to gain this experience far outweighs the benefit of "college credit". My suggestion would be to hire your interns as you would hire your employees, and respect the value they provide to you in the same way you respect your employees. Any intern that performs the same roles that an employee does is deserving of monetary compensation. You hire employees based off of a very specific set of criteria, which you deem to be worthy of compensation. The decision making process when hiring interns should be no different. Interns would better appreciate their experience at Atlantic if they were more selective when choosing interns (cutting down the amount they hire) and providing compensation or a stipend for their work and the value they add.

Slave labor

Product Development & Business Analytics Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- Very relaxed atmosphere
    - Cool perks (free CD's, concert tickets, etc.)
    - Young go-hard employees

Cons- No pay
    - Nothing to do most of the time because they hire every single person who applies as an intern because they don't pay them so they get all the free labor they can
    - Sometimes too relaxed atmosphere

Good experience but not enough insight into music industry

Publicity Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros1. You get to be around a lot of enthusiastic, young professionals who are passionate about the music industry
    2. The work done as an intern actually has an impact (e.g. sending out press kits to different publications)
    3. Around 90 interns across all departments

Cons1. Same routine of tasks to do everyday, gets very repetitive very quickly
    2. Not necessarily a great deal of knowledge obtained about music publicity
    3. Intern mentors can be hit or miss

Worked for Atlantic Records? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Atlantic Records reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Atlantic Records CEO Craig Kallman. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Atlantic Records employees.