Atlas Air Worldwide Reviews

Atlas Air Worldwide President, CEO, and Director Bill Flynn
Bill Flynn

1. Excellent company

I have been working at Atlas Air Worldwide

Pros

Very professional, many opportunities for advancement

Cons

None; great company to work for

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. You must be a masochist to work here.

Current Employee - Senior Staff Member in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Member in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Atlas Air Worldwide

Pros

Good place if you are desperate for a job

Cons

Company's processes are outdated
    New ideas are shot down and you can rest assured that you will be ridiculed for them while management will turn around and present them as their own.
    most middle managers got their positions as a result of underhanded and unprofessional tactics, and not on their qualifications.
    You will be yelled at, berated, insulted, ridiculed and generally treated like a peek-on on a daily basis
    Obtaining additional certifications is encouraged however you will not be reimbursed for your effort
    On days you have class/seminars/appointments management will come up with unnecessary assignments that will never materialize to anything only to keep you working late missing your classes/seminars/apt
    Morale is low, turnover is extremely high

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like garbage and maybe people will stop leaving.

3. Great place to work

Former Contractor - Procurement Analyst Temp in Purchase, NY
    Former Contractor - Procurement Analyst Temp in Purchase, NY

I worked at Atlas Air Worldwide as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, nice office, nice location

Cons

Not very challenging work and super quiet

Advice to Management

None

unsafe,unprofessional,dishonest,does not follow seniority,plays favouritism,unprofessional,no working rules,intimidating

Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Houston, TX

I worked at Atlas Air Worldwide (more than a year)

Pros

international flights.international layovers,long trips,a lot of dead head trips

Cons

NOT SAFE,does not have work rules or duty times,HIGH turnover...

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with honesty and respect !,

Growing cargo business

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Atlas Air Worldwide

Pros

Management did a great job diversifying into commercial business. Most North American cargo airlines focus on military business, which has dropped dramatically. Atlas is one of the few to diversify into commercial and is now reaping the benefits. Its competitors are either bankrupt or in the verge of bankruptcy as Atlas continues to take their share of military flying. The low cost of fuel and any uptick in the global economy means clear skies ahead for Atlas.

Cons

It's not really a con, but I never understood why everyone in corporate level has to wear dress shirts and slacks. The guys/gals in the control room all dress down. The founder of the company was a pilot who wore casual clothing. No commuter discounts or ability to pay for metrocard pre-tax.

NOT A Flight Attendant Friendly Place!

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Houston, TX

I worked at Atlas Air Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learned how very unimportant the Flight Attendants are to this company

Cons

Flight attendants need to stay away from anything Atlas related! You will NOT have any sort of protection from FSI (Flight Services International) this is who you work for! NOT ATLAS. The same rules do not apply to you. Most of the pilots HATE dealing with the FAs and do not do pax flights, those that do are male chauvinist. Sexual harassment seems to run a muck in this company. Being that the Pilots have a union and protection they often hide behind that while the FAs do NOT have any sort of protection!

Advice to Management

Keep a close eye on your pilots before criminal charges pop up from a flight attendant

Reality Check

Former Employee - Flight Dispatch Operations in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Flight Dispatch Operations in Purchase, NY

I worked at Atlas Air Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Short Term Experience is all that is available here. If your looking for a career in ground operations or operations control go elsewhere.

Cons

There is much to say for AAWW as it began in the 1990's. AAWW had filled a very unique nich in the Aviation that was well needed. AAWW built its name as a top level ACMI Carrier. Today however that nich is all but lost and AAWW is struggling to maintain its leverage in several new areas of the industry. From Aircraft Leasing (Titam Aviation) to Military Contract flying, AAWW has 4 main core business areas: They are Military airlift, A Boeing Contract to fly the 767 Dreamliner parts worldwide in Boeing owned 747400-LCF Aircraft, 2 B747 passenger jets owned by SONAIR flying parts and passengers to Lunada, Africa, 1 true ACMI Contract, and 51% ownership in Polar Air Cargo. Reality Check:: Polar Air Cargo is completely run by DHL who initially sough a small part of the PAC Fleet. Today DHL Commands the Polar Air Fleet and is slowly making its way onto running the Atlas Air Core Fleet. DHL is no longer a silent partner, rather the driving force behind the companies so called growth. AAWW and PAC are dying brands, soon to be recovered soley by DHL as Upper management maintains their insider trading games and get rich in the process. DHL has infiltrated the American domestic market thru such companies as AAWW, Southern Air Cargo, and , others once profitable with ACMI. Don't be fooled however, Atlas Air will not be around much longer.

Pilot

Current Employee - Pilot in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Pilot in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Atlas Air Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* From a pilot's perspective you absolutely won't find a more interesting and varied form of professional aviation. On any given day I might be assigned to fly the Boeing 747-400 LCF, BCF, P, or F or the Boeing 747-8. I might go to bed thinking that tomorrow I will be flying to Hong Kong and instead I'll end up in Sydney.

* The travel department makes my life so much easier and generally uplifts my moral.

* A pilot scheduling corps that is generally very receptive to my inputs, particularly when my idea would save the company money, time, or frustrations.

* The senior-most leadership, specifically, CEO Bill Flynn, has, and continues to move the company in an excellent direction. He's worth his weight in gold. We all just hope that this company does enough to make him want to stay put where he is with us. The fact that he has a total intermodalism background (former CEO of Crowley Maritime), and not just a typical airline thug, of itself makes him unique in our industry. There is never any shortage of business, whether it be CMI, ACMI, or charter operations. The sales department is outstanding at doing what they do.

* Gateway travel, both airline and hotel at the beginning and end of a trip, is an amazing benefit in our industry. Another moral booster.

Cons

* I know this sounds silly, but I think many of the problems at Atlas can be brought down to one word, and that one word is "pride" - from the top down to the bottom. This company has an incredible amount to be proud of. We're a one-of-a-kind company, highly successful at what we do, so be proud of that, treat your employees with pride, welcome new employees to the company with open arms, build your employees up rather than break them down. It's not hard at all. It's time to revisit lessons from Management 101.

* There seems to be an overall general level of discontentment within the pilot corps. Pilots are constantly leaving to go fly for other companies. Yet the company doesn't care and they have the mentality of "we have 10,000 applications on file, we'll just hire other pilots to replace you" - guess what, 9,800 of those pilots have already been hired elsewhere! Another managerial pet phrase "if you don't like it here then go fly elsewhere". NO! I don't want to go fly elsewhere, I want things to get better here at Atlas to make good, high-quality pilots not want pack their bags to go fly elsewhere. It's not just about hiring pilots, it's all about hiring AND retaining them. Stop looking at the tangibles of training expenses and paybacks before pilots go elsewhere and start looking at the intangibles such as what good solid experience within our pilot corps will do towards the overall betterment of our company or solve a specific problem that less experience wouldn't be able to do. The company seems to be in denial about a serious problem when it comes up to pilot retention. Their mentality is that if a pilot works for just two months then they've already paid off their own training expenses due to the revenue made off of them and at that point are expendable. Hey Atlas, wouldn't you rather make $15M in revenue from an employee who works for you for 30 years rather than just $50K from an employee, merely paying off their training expenses, after working for you for only two months and then going to another carrier? As a pilot group we're not asking for much; just a little appreciation and compensation that's comparable to our counterparts at the legacy airlines. You need to hire AND retain good pilots. How do you retain? Simple, make people want to stay by making conditions comparable with what they would have elsewhere so that they no longer want to go to that elsewhere, wherever it may be.

* Breakfast grievance - very simple solution, allow employees to keep their hotel points/stay credits. At my last company, when you showed up on day one of indoctrination, you are an automatic Hilton Diamond member - even before you've ever spent a night in a Hilton hotel for the company. How did my last company do this? Simple, they form solid relationships with other companies; a little networking goes a long ways. So while Hilton gave my last company discounts that Atlas doesn't even come close to approaching, employees at my last company had the red carpet rolled out for them every time they checked in. It was an incredibly mutually beneficial relationship! Instead, our company relegates itself to playing "musical hotels", ridiculously unable to maintain hotel contracts before having to look elsewhere. Anyway, getting back to the breakfast grievance, once pilot employees make status within the various hotel chains their breakfasts are then included for free. This would eliminate the breakfast grievance. So there you go - problem solved, both parties happy, money saved!

* Not being paid while on R1. Are you serious?!? Are you kidding me?!? This is the absolute most absurd thing with any aviation company within the entire industry. If the company sits me on R1 during my pattern then I don't get paid for those days. A pilot could very easily be involuntarily assigned 17 days of R1 and not be paid a single dime of wages for the entire month.

* Aircraft wage differences. Atlas is hurting itself by doing this. Once the 767 seat locks are up the vast majority will go to the 747 which will cost $50K for training plus two months of completely lost productivity not to mention IOE. Think about how many pilots wouldn't transition from the 767 to the 747 if their wages were the same - tons of them! Making the wages the same would eliminate the training and lost productivity expenses when a 767 pilot begins 747 training because many, many pilots would stay in the 767 if the wages were the same.

* A travel bank would be mutually beneficial. So far this year I have saved Atlas $6,849 this year by catching travel department mistakes as well as by finding more economical flights to travel on. And the year isn't over with yet. So how about putting that into a travel bank, one that I can draw into at any point but at the end of the year you get half and I get half. Again, this would be a mutually beneficial perk. Other pilots would begin looking for savings just the same way that I do. If every pilot finished the year with $6,849 in their travel bank then Atlas would make over $3.5M in pure additional profit.

* AQP. Come on Atlas, get going with it already. Legacy carriers have been doing this for years and years now. It's time for you to get caught up to the times!

Advice to Management

See my cons

Atlas Air

Current Employee - Captain
    Current Employee - Captain

I have been working at Atlas Air Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Atlas Air is a great place for a pilot to further their career in aviation and gather invaluable international experience. There are many very experienced pilots to learn from. The world-wide operations will take you to places you never dreamed of.

Cons

The union contract QOL is rather lacking, and the company exploits the contract faults to it's favor. These problems can be detrimental to the pilot's family health and happiness.

Awful, only recommended for airline professionals

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Purchase, NY

I worked at Atlas Air Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice campus
    Easy drive for Westchester and lower Connecticut commuters
    If interested in making airlines a career a good place to start
    Most co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with
    Often have a sense of team involvement

Cons

Poor compensation, with low increases.
    Cash & stock bonuses available only for managers and above, nothing for staff.
    Poor work-life balance, too much overtime with no comp time or bonus available. Managers act like the “own” you and should be available at all times.
    Poor benefits: Small 401k match and medical but little else. No education assistance, comp or flex time program.
    Extremely difficult to move ahead or laterally to another position within company. Internal job posting policy is a sham with few posted positions which often go to temps and outsiders.
    Most top management has been in place for decades with little change.
    No career development, no cross training.
    Human resources is invisible, hidden away in a far corner of building away from main areas, just takes a back seat to employee affairs with little involvement.
    Personal growth & promotions are limited.

Advice to Management

Improve benefits.
    Create REAL career paths for employee's.
    HR need to improve performance review and internal job posting processes.
    Improve personal growth, promotions and leadership opportunities.

Atlas Air Worldwide Photos