Atlas Copco
www.atlascopco.com Stockholm, Sweden 5000+ Employees

Atlas Copco Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014
Atlas Copco – Belgium – “Visiting an asssembly line”

Atlas Copco President & CEO Ronnie Leten

Ronnie Leten

Pros:
  • "Always a good work/life balance (Swedish style)"
    in 3 reviews
  • "global company with lots of opportunities to move around"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Compensation package without car except senior management"
    in 3 reviews
  • "lot of work pressure and though upper management"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company with Good Benefits

ProsThe company offers great medical, retirement, and vacation benefits. The job is not hard to do and it's pretty easy to learn the process. Some of the managers are great people and understand and care for you.

ConsLack of communication between the managers and employees. Sometimes work can get a bit boring depending on the position you have.

Great if you are willing to go with the flow and not voice your oppinion

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat medical benefits, no where else compares. They have employee and family events that other companies don't spend the money on any more.

They are trying to move to a "customer focused" organization.

Lots of training opportunities available and employees are required to complete 40 hrs every year.

ConsCompensation is lower than other places. There is a lot of talk about the ability to move within the company, however there are few opportunities and very few chances are given to move around unless a "newly created" position becomes available.

Morale is very low resulting in a high turn over rate.

Processes are extremely manually and they don't seem to want to change them. There isn't a formal change review process or a standard place to really see all of the processes you need to follow. Something can be mentioned in passing by management and that puts the change in place. Whenever a new person comes on board and questions why the manual effort is there, they are immediately black balled. I have heard it more than once "Why does everyone want to come in an change our processes?" The answer is that there is a better way to do things, however, unless you are one of the chosen few your opinion doesn't count.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually make changes. Stop saying we are going to change to make things better. Actually do something. Use your new people as a sounding board to make the changes and listen to them. Stop relying on people who have been around for 10 years to make your changes.

Get ready....

Rock Hill, SC

ProsGood pay, good vacation, no consequences from actions or lack thereof.

ConsNo consequences from actions. Truly unrealistic expectations from management. Not enough time to properly and fully complete tasks. A lot of direction with little explanation. A truly cynical culture that will bring the most optimistic people down. There is no "engineering" to be done on the shop floor, you chase parts in a chaotic, disorganized warehouse. Stay away unless you want to work in a "job shop" setting.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down and do it correctly instead of shooting from the hip and hoping you get it right. Quit worrying about making things "look good" for management tours and maybe try to work on truly honing in processes to make the numbers speak for themselves.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at Atlas Copco was up and down.

Cycle Counter (Current Employee)
    Garland, TX

ProsThe best thing about Atlas was above average compensation, and the benefits were great. I believe the benefits were better than the compensation.

ConsThe business tends to lay off every four or five years. Most of the lay off is from production, not the office jobs. I we laid off twice from 2008-2013, up and down business market.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe up front with production

Good place to get experience designing.

ProsGreat projects come through working with very active engineering companies as well as large oil and gas companies

ConsDoes not reward employees well despite a great benefit package.

A great place to work

Support Engineer (Current Employee)
    Rock Hill, SC

ProsThe people are hard-working and intelligent. The work is interesting and the company works hard to take care of the employees.

ConsI have not yet experienced any cons in working for Atlas Copco. Even though Atlas Copco is a global company, they allow local management enough leeway to manage their people with care and respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing well with interactions with employees and the end customer will continue to be well taken care of.

Great culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company culture is friendly, open, responsible, high-achieving yet fun. People are helpful and team oriented, which leads to a pleasant work environment and high performance. Also, the company works well with corporate responsibility, and there are great career opportunities. Changing position, business area, country etc is encouraged

ConsThe wage is mediocre, and at some points the big organization can get a bit bureaucratic and slow. Offices seldom situated down town

Caring place to work but catching to many issue

Welder (Current Employee)
    Garland, TX

ProsThey work with your family needs!

ConsNo focus moving forward, safety is talked about but never followed

Lots of Travel for Field Service Engineers

Field Service Engineer (Former Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

ProsAs a Field Service Engineer, I was probably on travel over 70% of the time. Travelled to Portugal, Mexico, many US locations, and was slated to go to China and Russia before I resigned to pursue other opportunities.
    Pay was great, on top of travel expenses.

ConsSo much travel, some times you didn't have time to breathe before you're off to the next site.
    Company made the transition from JC Carter Pumps to Atlas Copco, so the company started to cut expenses.
    Travel policy remained unchanged for Field Service Representatives and it stated that all international travels, or travels greater that 6 hours, will be in Business or First Class.
    After 10 days in Portugal, working over 15 hours a day, the Company changed my ticket to Coach without notifying me (to save $300). Not a good way to say thank you for a job well done, by sticking your employee in cramped travel arrangements, especially when I would do a turnaround to China in a couple of days after returning.
    Before becoming a part of the Atlas Copco team, I normally travelled First Class on my own dime, so I paid the $1200 charge to get me back into First Class. Needless to say, I resigned the following day that I returned, to pursue other opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementBudget cuts are understandable, but don't sacrifice the morale by trying to save a few dollars on travel. In the grand scheme of millions of dollars, the difference is just a small piece of the pie.

Product Engineer

Project Engineer (Former Employee)
    Rock Hill, SC

ProsGreat chance to work on real projects and see final results

ConsAt times Atlas Copco can be a bit understaffed for the amount of work required

Worked for Atlas Copco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Atlas Copco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Atlas Copco CEO Ronnie Leten . All 87 reviews posted anonymously by Atlas Copco employees.