Atlas Media Corp.

just another production company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Atlas Media Corp. full-time

Pros

great place to learn skills, lots of room for advancement, fun and quirky boss, good internship program, the staff positions are great, come with benefits but I don't think they offer those too much anymore.

Cons

top heavy with executives, exec producer weighs in too late, penny saved, pound foolish, they really didn't know how to produce reality shows

have top brass weigh in sooner, invest in better equipment, pay for good people, don't make everything fall on the shoulders of those below.

Interns were overused and under-compensated.

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Atlas Media Corp. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It was a friendly environment with many friendly employees. The office is conveniently located to the 34th St ACE station.

Cons

At times I felt like a slave in a system where they abused their free labor. We were poorly compensated with only $10/day, even when I worked on 14-hour field shoots.

Work out minimum wage for your interns. There should be a very structured internship program so that interns can grow within a program. It felt very loose and disjointed.

Intern: meh

I worked at Atlas Media Corp. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interns at least got a $10 stipend per day.

Cons

It feels like the paid employers there don't work enough when unpaid interns do all the work.

ACTUALLY hire poor interns after they're done with the internship!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Production Intern

I worked at Atlas Media Corp. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People are cool, can make a lot of connections

Cons

Internship got a little boring at times because some of the work got very repetitive and boring

Young producer learned nothing but how NOT to produce

I worked at Atlas Media Corp.

Pros

Freelancers were good people for the most part and tried their best to do good work.

Cons

Executives seemed to make things worse and more confusing, even though they're the ones who are supposed to have more experience. Underpaid. Very political office place.

Listen to some of the lower level producers from time to time. They may have a good idea or two.

Been there...Done that....Never Coming Back!

Former Employee - Associate Producer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Atlas Media Corp. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unlike many other companies - they do offer Health Benefits after 90 business days. It is reasonable and as long as you are with the company (even if you take a 45 day break) you can keep it or when you leave it becomes COBRA.

This is what attracted me to this place and the multitude of projects/growth.
    As an AP, you gain an elaborate amount of experience because the show literally falls apart without your attention and follow-through. That is the only plus I take away from this company. Tons of knowledge from 5 different departments of production. I am proud of the work I did with very little support.

Cons

I can only speak from experience with the crime show I worked on, but my issues revolve around inefficiencies, unethical practices, a complete disregard for "true life" stories and the lack of communications/support. As an Associate Producer on the series, I was the hub for all the pre/post production (editors, writer, recrea teams and field producers). You are practically a one man show and there is no clear line for where one departments hand-offs should be.

I have worked for multiple networks and companies and this is the first place that produces without much communication, without much forethought and and the team I was on resisted putting into efficient systems into place.

I think there intent is good - but the producers aren't people to look up to. I am not a avid freelancer and maybe I have been trained at my other productions to show more pride in what I produce and much more integrity.

This company is filled with complacent freelancers that just like getting fancy titles without being able to back it up (production-wise).

As proof - Atlas sole claim to fame is Hotel Impossible. All of their other productions are barely heard of.

That's all.

Higher people that have a need for EXCELLENCE. Even your interns have poor work ethic! They are learning bad habits from these Freelancers that don't care.

Meh Summer Internship

I worked at Atlas Media Corp. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Nice employees and work environment
    -$10 weekly stipend for food and transportation
    -Any work is appreciated

Cons

-Work highly varies on day and what show you're working on
    -Often took over receptionist duties, including getting coffee and buying milk, which was not a part of the job description
    -Not great for networking--those that I worked with were itching to leave and enter new career fields after years of being dissatisfied freelancers

-More structured internship program
    -Ensure that there is actual work available for interns--don't assign them to shows that have not much work for them to do

bleh

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Atlas Media Corp.

Pros

people are okay; facilities aren't bad

Cons

a lot of freelancers; interns aren't that great, technology is waaaaaaay behind - iMacs? seriously?

A good place to work on multiple reality/docu style productions in the New York area

Former Employee - Assistant Editor (Freelance)  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor (Freelance) in New York, NY

I worked at Atlas Media Corp.

Pros

As a freelance Assistant Editor at that time, Atlas Media Corp. worked for me as temporary employer because the facilities and operations were very organized. They had different shifts available and the workload was manageable. Many assistant editors there had gone on to become editors simply through working on different projects so there was room for advancement.

Cons

They had employees who had been there in a freelance capacity for years. This works for some people but others may have an issue with limited staff positions.

none

Worked for Atlas Media Corp.? Contribute to the Community!