Atlas Oil

Updated January 2, 2015
2.1

Atlas Oil Chairman & CEO Sam Simon
Sam Simon

Pros
  • Compensation is fairly reasonable and the benefits are good (in 4 reviews)

• The pay is good, The benefits are good, and the soda, pop, coffee, and candy onsite (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • One of the company's laughable core values (in 7 reviews)

• Owner/CEO says right today and then left tomorrow, often without rhyme or reason (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Environment is nice, but beyond the branding and soda pop fountain is unhappy workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Atlas Oil part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Bright environment, snacks, pop fountain, weekly meeting

Was not a bad work environment, the little perks were nice!

Cons

Compensation!!, upper management relationship

Left since HR essentially gave me a laughable salary when I was offered a new position that actually gave me less tasks that the Atlas position offered. Why would I stay when you want to treat my position like it isn't worth anything?!?

Higher ups acted like you are all important regardless of who you are, but it was clear they had little clue of what you offer, and thought they were kings.

Co-workers would complain amongst each other... incompetent bosses/managers, unfair work load, overworked, etc. The company is cheap when it comes to what it offers you and what its needs are!

Pay people what they are worth, treat them like humans, and make sure you see what everyone offers to their group/position and give tasks equally.

Full of bull

Former Employee - Crude Oil Driver in Victoria, TX
    Former Employee - Crude Oil Driver in Victoria, TX

I worked at Atlas Oil full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They didnt pay me my last check they said i was stealing i dont think waiting for a truck at ur yard n being there at the time u want me to be there is stealing im not gone be sitting at ur yard n wait up to four hours then not get paid for it

Cons

There is no challenge the company suck no communication upper management like they r too good for the drivers

Ya like to treat people like crap

Owner Ego is King

I worked at Atlas Oil

Pros

Masochists, whiners and complainers please take note: this company may be a good fit for you. You will get free pop and coffee, too.

Cons

This place was a nightmare. After almost two years I found other employment. Other reviews are right on point; this company is a revolving door for employees who are let go, laid off or fired without rhyme or reason. The "training" is a joke because it consists of information that you will never use; meanwhile you are left to search out any information actually helpful or even critical to your job on your own and without any guidance. Upper management is quick to kowtow to the owner, whether he is right or wrong, to keep their big bucks salary while it lasts. Being an owner "favorite" will keep you employed here longer than doing a consistently good job, taking initiative (which is discouraged), suggesting innovating ideas, or saving the company money. Therefore, the focus is on keeping the owner happy as opposed to keeping the company healthy. The façade is very appealing in the interview but it doesn't take long after being hired to realize this company paints a picture that does not exist - core values are just words on paper and without substance, employee morale is incredibly low, processes and procedures are inconsistent and fragmented, chaos and disorganization are king, and a healthy company cannot exist where the ego of the owner is the top priority. Insofar as the three or four reviews that give this company five stars, I imagine a few employees may have been told to do this. I can't honestly say I knew one employee that would have written these reviews because I can't say I knew one employee, even the "favorites", who didn't constantly complain.

Until the owner butts out and lets the educated professionals hired to manage various aspects of the company for which he doesn't have a clue - think HR, sales, accounting, etc. - this company will always be marginal.

Billing Specialist

I worked at Atlas Oil

Pros

There were none to give

Cons

The right skin color will give you opportunities

Don't be predjudice and use personal issues with team mates

The Horse and Pony Show Politics of "Sammy's World"

Former Employee - Management in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - Management in Taylor, MI

I worked at Atlas Oil full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Every old dog can learn new tricks, myself included. For example, I learned that nothing at Atlas is what it seems. Promises that are made will be broken and blame placed where it doesn't belong. Words are cheap when in reality they have no substance and Atlas thrives on cheap words and broken promises. Thank you for teaching me to do better research on a company in the future before I accept an offer.

Cons

Management's function is to validate the owner's ego. Period. Most disorganized group of individuals I have ever worked with. Many ideas but little realistic follow through. Fancy titles with little substance; jobs created and eliminated without rhyme or reason. High turnover rate, chaotic atmosphere, poor employee morale. A lot of misinformation, both to employees and to the public about the owner and the company. But for the necessity of the product, this company would not otherwise exist. A position here is a career killer. The "core values" are a joke - empty and long forgotten.

Would not make a difference. "Management" actually consists of the owner and those he leads by the nose.

Fun, exciting, and better than most.

I have been working at Atlas Oil full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great staff inside the office and in the field. We work with Phillips 66 and several of the largest operators in the industry. Great pay, easy to please upper management, room for growth, and very stable company.

Cons

There are no challenges. It's a new company in Crude Hauling and it's growth pattern is through the roof. It comes with a learning process and we thrive on the challenges it brings.

Please continue doing what your doing we are behind you 100%. Thanks for giving us the great opportunity.

Really not that good

I have been working at Atlas Oil full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not bad pay and made a few friends (drivers).

Cons

Management is not all that good. Unrespondsive to the needs of the drivers. They give alot of lip service about doing this or doing that. But when the rubber meets the road, they do nothing. Training is hit and miss. You will drive something different every day and don't expect it to be clean or expect to see out of the windshield. Most of the drivers are pigs and don't know how clean windows and mirrors. Management does not care about alot things including you. If you leave, they figure someone else will come along. The owner doesn't do what he says. They talk about their core values being so high, but when you are around it every day, you see they have no values. Be prepared. I don't know how much longer I will put up with all this.

I don't think they are going to get it no matter what, so why try.

So much potential!

I have been working at Atlas Oil full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is tremendous opportunity at Atlas; both in terms of revenue potential and career advancement. They are driven by the sales organization. They are gaining a lot of traction in the marketplace due to it service excellence. They have recruited a lot of industry veterans who are putting their wherewithal and oil/gas expertise to effective use. They have an owner who will pony up the financial resources and capitalize on being a first mover and out of the box thinker. They also have a top-flight tier of assets (trucks).

They are growing and spending money to (finally) do things the right way.

Atlas is not for everyone. Those who excel in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment will thrive here.

Their owner is passionate about Atlas and his employees.

Cons

Atlas heads in many simultaneous directions, yet stresses 'laser focus'. It's difficult for these to coexist. This chaotic nature, while exciting, does strain the organizational back-office staff. Chasing a new business sale garners revenue, but sometimes does so at the wear and tear on its team.

Atlas is still an immature organization; in their process and procedures. Historically higher than average turnover has created some voids in institutional knowledge.

Pausing to assess the business impact of certain opportunities will bring unity to the teams, and align front and back offices.

Do more with less. Focus on what you already have and already do well. Promote your national footprint, national 3rd party logistics solution, and 'bread and butter' transport and mobile fueling lines of business.

The grass is truly greener outside of Atlas

Former Employee - Administrator in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - Administrator in Taylor, MI

I worked at Atlas Oil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Career Promotion - If you have what it takes, you will move into higher positions, which are constantly opening up as those individuals get burnt out or get fired.

Cons

Very low Morale - Many front line employees are frustrated and discouraged with the company.
    Short Term Decision Making - Most decisions that are made are focused solely on the current budget year's profit or projections. This leads to many of the frustrations that will keep you handling the same issues and problems year after year. It is hard to watch the money spending. Now the company has two dogs!

Connect with your people and follow through. Management on several levels has made promises that will eventually be broken. I am gone because leadership turned their back on me, just at the time that I needed them the most. Not an honorable company!

Sammy's World

Current Employee - Director in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Atlas Oil full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits (for now) and decent wages (for now). At least it is a job

Cons

1.Lack of managerial support
    2.Long hours
    3. Policies always changing
    4. Favoritism. Rules apply to only certain individuals.
    5. The job teaches individuals to lie, cheat, and steal whenever possible,
    6. Ethics of an individual must be left at the door
    7. Nothing that you accomplish here will ever be good enough
    8. Managers always looking at employees for what we did wrong, it is always our fault. We are always wrong.

Lead by Example. Look at the Leadership Team. They will be the cause of the destruction and demise of the company. They need to learn how to manage and speak to employees and customers. They also need to be held accountable for their actions or the lack of.

Atlas Oil Photos