Atlassian
www.atlassian.com Sydney, Australia 500 to 999 Employees

Atlassian Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014
Atlassian – San Francisco – “Staff”

Scott Farquhar

One of the best tech companies I've encountered

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat company culture. Customer love the products

ConsWorking with colleagues based in Australia can be challenging, due to timezone differences. That said, company is willing to send people to remote offices very frequently, so you get to build rapport with everyone on the team.

Best company culture. Innovative company.

Software Engineer (Developer Relations Engineer) (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsYoung crowd; diverse minds; excellent opportunity to learn about everything; everyone has a swiss-army knife skillset; get stuff done; no pandering; move quickly.

ConsMeeting rooms are always booked (SF office)

Advice to Senior ManagementMeeting rooms are always booked - get more meeting space (SF office)

If you have a soul and would like to retain it, move along

ProsThere are many genuinely good-hearted, helpful, well-intentioned people who believe and live the stated company values, which is no small feat considering Atlassian's size.

Thought leadership, when shared, is generally good quality and a source of pride.

ConsCosign many of the points made by the January 2 reviewer: Atlassian is great at bringing in motivated, quality talent and letting those folks languish. There is limited opportunity for upward mobility, and where it is present, your options are to work for a brand-new manager promoted out of seniority (hit or miss), or a transplant from a traditional enterprise software company whose cultural-fit section of the interview must have gotten cut short (sure miss).

The HR team (I refuse to call them Talent, since they clearly do not see employees as such) is among the least reliable/responsive I've ever seen. To call them tone-deaf would be an understatement. Valid complaints around gender discrimination and hostile work environment are brushed off; the constant refrain of "look at the perks we offer" to questions around pay scale was once funny and is now just insulting. What perks?

Advice to Senior ManagementReinstate bottom-up reviews. Don't just talk about how important it is to provide career paths - CREATE them. Encourage intra-company and interdepartmental feedback loops. Make cultural fit important again.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible culture and many opportunities for career growth

San Francisco, CA

ProsThe company is willing to take chances on employees who maybe don't have the official experience yet, allowing some extremely talented people to emerge. The people that work at Atlassian are interesting, engaging and supportive making going to work everyday enjoyable.

ConsThere are not clear, defined paths for advancement (unless an employee takes it upon themselves to carve it out). The open company no "bs" value (yes that's one of the values) is great but it's also sometimes distracting because there is constantly a lot of activity.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Heading in many directions at once

Pros+ Product-driven culture that celebrates innovation
    + Wears culture on its sleeve; company values regularly get name-checked
    + An international company where English is spoken with many, many different accents
    + You are free to speak your mind, regardless of your role
    + Offices are beautiful and focused on collective space; no cubicles and few offices
    + Large % of employees take part in sporting activities (running, bike riding, soccer, basketball, yoga) during the workday; totally acceptable to be sitting at lunch in sweaty gym clothes

Cons- Trying to do too many things at once; tendency to ship things that are 70% done
    - CEOs reinforce culture of snobbery of engineering toward marketing
    - Somewhat cliquish; social acceptance often correlated to participation in binge drinking
    - Managers tend to be too busy to manage
    - Workaday conversation is awash in needless acronyms/codenames
    - Critical company-built systems are regularly down during business hours, crippling productivity

Advice to Senior ManagementDo fewer projects and really nail them

Up up and away

Support Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prostons of smart people, young, energetic company

Consno lateral movement, career progression/advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites, it's unbecoming.

Very down to earth, transparent and collaborative culture and get-work-done attitude.

Enterprise Marketing Consultant (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsAmazing benefits and perks. Very spacious and beautiful office, games, free sandwhich bar and ready made food, 3 kegs on tap, yoga on site, etc.

Also very open office culture - only glass walls, you can always walk up to anybody. Executive team sits in the pit - accessible to all and not sitting above the employees.

ConsTime Zone difference between Sydney and San Francisco office can require off-hours meetings late at night or during the very early morning.

It can be difficult to seek privacy and quiet without seeming secretive. Introverted employees might have issues in this environment if they preferred their own office.

The total open office culture leads to employees wearing head phones all the time and isolating themselves acoustically from the crowd. That hinders collaboration again.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the spirit going and try your best to maintain the culture as the company grows further.

Great company to work fow

Technical Sales (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prossmart people, fun culture, free lunch

Conschaotic, too many unexperienced people in manager positions

Advice to Senior ManagementHire either experienced manager or make sure they are well trained

A company in the midst of growing pains

ProsProbably the most fun company that you'll be around. There is politics, but for the most part, you are valued for what you have to contribute to the table. The amount of transparency is staggering: it's not every company where any Joe Blow can query the company data warehouse or simply ask what the top secret project is.

Atlassian has some of the best people working for it that you'll ever find, and I genuinely look forward to coming into work. It's exciting times, if you like building new stuff or breaking new ground, and I've not stopped learning since I've gotten here.

ConsLike many companies that are explosively growing, things don't always scale up fast enough. Like many of the other people here, I'll point out that not all is right with Kansas, and there's some spring cleaning that needs to be done of some of the cruft.

I would say that there's a lot less cruft than I've seen elsewhere, but I'll certainly acknowledge that it exists.

For other cons, it takes a tremendous amount of energy to course correct, though this is kind of a first world problem. Most other companies wouldn't even offer you the option to course correct, but Atlassian does-it just takes a lot of patience and asbestos suits.

Compared to the outside, Atlassian compensation kind of blows, but there are some nice perks to make up some of it. It really is a pleasant place to work, but you can make more elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some great people working for you, but you also have some junk in the corners.

Notice some of your top performers, clean out out some of the smelly stuff that creates toxic atmospheres.

Give credit where credit is due and advance them up. Up doesn't necessarily mean management.

Interned last summer and learned a lot working with a fun group!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree food, very social atmosphere, cool office space

ConsSketchy surrounding neighborhood, little desk privacy

Worked for Atlassian? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Atlassian reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Atlassian CEO Scott Farquhar. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Atlassian employees.