Atlona Reviews

3.4
Ilya Khayn

1. Great Potential but not much else

I worked at Atlona full-time

Pros

There are some very bright and talented folks working there. Many wanting to work toward success.

Cons

Very inexperienced ownership, with a lack of mission. Severe micro management from the ownership often combined with a lack of understanding what they are actually micro managing.

Advice to Management

Create a mission and detailed goals for the company other than just "grow".

Every expense seems to be on the employees backs. Low wages, inexperienced owners.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Atlona full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Start up in niche industry. great looking brand from the outside in.

Cons

No organization, no structure, low wages and commissions. Recent lay offs and a slew of employees quitting leave very low employee morale.

Advice to Management

Sell the company while it is still profitable.

Jun 16, 2014 – Sr Director HR

Since this time, Atlona has hired an experienced management team. Atlona hired a new experienced HR team to come and analyze HR, benefits and compensation practices. We continually look to improve ... More

2 steps forward 3 steps back

I have been working at Atlona full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bagel Friday. A lot of the staff are incredible people with a lot to offer. Reasonably casual dress code allowed in the office. Some reasonably cool technologies on the horizon. Pay has improved somewhat over the last one and a half years.

Cons

I've seen the cycle of things improving only to regress multiple times here. The directors, who have excellent ideas and experience, are not allowed to execute on anything. The owners of the company are inexperienced and indecisive. It is truly an unfortunate situation. There are so many talented people here that work incredibly hard. If the owners were to step into a backround role and hire outside replacements, it would lead to a new era of growth. If we continue to do things the way that we have, it will lead to the end of the company. Based on my experience, it seems like most of what we do is re-arrange deck chairs on the Titanic. If this company is around in 5 years I would be extremely surprised.

Advice to Management

Step aside and let your Directors do what the need to do. If you are unwilling to do that, then at least show some sort of leadership and vision. A ship that is adrift at sea, with no one at the rudder, will eventually break up on the rocks..

Jun 16, 2014 – Sr Director HR

Atlona has come a long way in the past couple of years, bringing in more experienced people to enhance its Sr Management team to work with the Ownership.

5. chaos

Former Employee - Market in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Market in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Atlona full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none the best thing about my time there was the network of people that I met

Cons

constant change of company charter, low salaries, employees not valued,

Advice to Management

grow up

Jun 16, 2014 – Sr Director HR

The Management team has heard you loud and clear; yes we have had to make changes-- for the better.

Atlona Abysmal

I have been working at Atlona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many talented, good natured, skilled people who have worked and who still do work at Atlona. These people make working at Atlona possible.

Cons

The Cons are as follows... Compensation = Horrible Corporate Environment = Hell Respect from Upper Management to employees = Minimal at best Corporate Culture = "Just work and shut the Hell Up" + "Employees are not important" Strategic Vision = NONE There is No corporate vision There is No corporate mission (except "Get more money") There is No clear direction There is No strategic outlook There are people who literally cry every week being at Atlona Most people are searching for new jobs once they get to Atlona. Many managers try to pretend that things are not terrible and that the problems are your fault Managers don't take responsibility

Advice to Management

My advice to executive management would be to make more of an effort to make the people who work at Atlona feel valued, appreciated, respected and heard. In order to develop a better corporate culture and inspire people provide and operate according to a vision that people can buy into. Establish a clear mission for the company so people know and understand what the company is doing and why. Otherwise people feel like hamsters on a wheel going nowhere for no reason except to receive a paycheck. That type of condition is unrewarding and leads to high turn over. Pay people industry standards or above for what they do, this is key because it inspires loyalty and promotes a sense that people are really valued. Above all else listen to the burdens, suggestions and insights that the employees have and respond to them publicly and respectfully.

7. Run, don't walk away

I worked at Atlona full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Maybe a few good products

Cons

Crappy management. Owners are clueless to what it takes to,run a successful company and keep good high quality employees. Most products are "me too" virtually nothing is unique from competitors. Quality is average at best. Owners thnk the incredible growth they had will continue by magic. Employees are treated like crap. Very low pay and benefits at best are poor. They lay off or fire good high quality people and promote a manager who is a "yes man"

Advice to Management

Do what you have done to so many others, fire yourself. You don't deserve to run a company and pay yourselves tons of $$$$ at the expense of those who generate the revenue. Hire a team of pros, let them do what they know how to do and maybe your company will survive. If not, better start looking for a job yourself

8. Interesting at first, then the shine came off quickly.

I worked at Atlona full-time

Pros

If you need a job and your unemployment has run out and you don't qualify for public assistance . . . this may be the place for you.

Cons

Weak, me too product line, poor communication, near zero management competency, a narrow subcontract (ODM) manufacturing strategy, questionable quality and a complete lack of ethics.

Advice to Management

Grow some ethics.

Jun 16, 2014 – Sr Director HR

Atlona has gone through quite a bit of changes, including hiring practices to refine our recruitment of qualified talent. Although we continue to strive to develop our employees, we can’t please ... More

9. Run (don't walk) away, no matter the promise!

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Atlona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a handful of truly genuine and trustworthy people that want to do great work and put in the effort to help the company figure itself out, grow and be successful.

Cons

There are many people in the company firmly entrenched in their ways, unwilling to change, are dishonest and cannot be trusted even when asked to be straightforward, including its ownership. The company seems to be unwilling to learn its lessons and evolve, be honest with employees and doesn't have a clear plan and path to growth. If you interview, be sure to ask what their plans are to sustain itself, let alone grow its business.

Advice to Management

Management and owner reputation is one of distrust, lack of clarity, deferring decisions, disconnection from staff and not knowing how and/or are unwilling to move the business forward. Be honest with yourselves as well as your employees. Create a work environment staff genuinely want to come to work, are motivated and can succeed in and you might have a chance of regaining some trust and improving morale beyond throwing occasional parties.

Great products, messed up management

I have been working at Atlona

Pros

most employees are nice fun people

Cons

Pay plan is horrible. very underpaid. Benefits are OK, but only 7 company holidays, what a joke! Major disconnect from SR management with rest of the company. Many employees very unhappy. Lots of people leaving company Keep changing internal structure, but keep putting things off and don't keep the actual salespeople in the loop. New products need to be ready for market before announcing them

Advice to Management

Hire someone experienced to run the company, someone who values your employees. Don't forget that your employees are your biggest asset. Don't take them for granted

Atlona Technologies

I have been working at Atlona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of challenges and chaos...

Cons

Young Owners without a strong business sense, benefit package is not ideal, and salary will be underpaid to market.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees and value them therefore you can keep them and continue sustaining and growing the company. Also, look into better benefit packages.

RSS Feed </> Embed