Atmel

Updated December 11, 2014
2.6

Atmel President and CEO Steve Laub
Steve Laub

Pros
  • Good Work life balance you have all the time to achieve your personal commitments and goals (in 13 reviews)

• Good people and an easy going working environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management levels treat everyone beneath them as slightly unintelligent, unworthy peons (in 7 reviews)

• Poor progression for employees except maybe at senior management level (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Marketing

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People you work with are very nice and professional.

Cons

Management doesn't appreciate employees.

One of the worst companies to work for. Period.

Current Employee - Engineer in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Atmel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Almost none.
    Only good thing is work-life.

Cons

1. Managers are worthless, they do nothing.
    2. Very less appreciation of the work what you do.
    3. Same work doing for years, nothing to learn. Not a good company to start the career.
    4. HR team and HR policies are very bad. Very passive. After you get hired or when you leave, they treat you like garbage.
    5. Penny type increments in the year end, increments are even less than inflation rates in India.
    6. No perks. No bonus. No fun at work.
    And the list continues.

Please join this if you want to ruin your career.

No advice. Just replace all the management.

Nov 25, 2014hr

Thank you for your feedback. We take employees' feedback seriously and will continue to invest in improving the company. Our open door policy encourages our people to discuss their concerns and ... More

Good people, let down by micro-management

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good group of people
    Desire to get better is clear

Cons

Severe Micro-management from CEO down disrupts ability to plan.
    No real investment in systems

Trust your employees more, way more

The Leaellynasaura of Silicon Dinosaurs

Former Employee - Senior Silicon Paleontologist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Silicon Paleontologist in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Like the Leaellynasaura, Atmel is small, and has a long tail. It can probably hide and run for a while before eaten by the bigger beasts in the Valley.

Cons

Like the dinosaurs, the company will fail to evolve with the rapid business climate change, and instead, the company will continue to shield itself by adding layers of unnecessary management, politics, and bureaucracy.

The exodus of talent is intrinsic to a business operated poorly, and as if that wasn't enough, the management team accelerates the extinction event by not making the proper investments, providing meaningful leadership, nor show any indicators that they actually understand the semiconductor business--not even a little.

At Atmel, the days are long, but ultimately unproductive. There are still lots of good people at Atmel but the best ones are micromanaged and gagged by their managers, and many are just waiting for another opportunity to come along.

The period for the Leaellynasaura has been over for a long time. The tectonic plates of this business shifts at a rate that you cannot fathom, much less manage. Please step aside.

should have listened to that inner voice.....

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation was very fair but then again I had the upper hand because they needed a resource NOW. New building on Technology Dr much better than the relic on Orchard Parkway. I worked with some enjoyable and smart people whom I hope to cross paths again.

Cons

4 weeks into the position, I should have cut my losses...

The coldest and most sterile place I have ever set foot in. If you walked around the floor of the department (one that should be creative and sharing ideas) in which I worked you would have mistaken it for a weekend day - no energy and quieter than midnight at a mausoleum. When I announced my resignation, many colleagues stated they wish they were also leaving. The work culture is "what have you done for me lately". The expression of appreciation upon project completion is only a head nod and then a spin on the heel to depart the immediate area. Who wants to go to work in that atmosphere? When I left 38 people were assigned the title of VP, which is slightly less than BofA.

No skip level meetings and I was never asked to rate my manager for his/her review. The review process is the manager assesses you but prior to being discussed with you the assessment must be signed by a few levels above you.

Since the day of my resignation the food and drink tastes so much better, I sleep through the night, and the pit in my stomach when I entered the building is a vague memory.

Build a culture which is inviting and makes people want to come to work. This means 1)expressing genuine appreciation for their effort on a basis more frequent than a solar eclipse 2) acknowledging their presence and contribution 3) having people feel it is an added bonus to be paid for what they do.

My best W2 and contracting positions were those I felt getting paid for my effort was an another benefit to being part of the organization.

If you have some rapport with your staff, it should never be a complete surprise they are leaving the company (as it was in my case).

Worst Company you will ever work for.

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None. This place is awful on every single measure.

Cons

Awful micro-managing bully of a CEO
    Worst HR department on the planet
    Terrible systems
    No culture
    Execs take no accountability
    No strategic planning process
    Focus on cost cutting, no focus on creating value

Resign. Stop yelling. Invest in real systems. Get a real HR department. Have a strategy. Fire under-performing executives. Oh, and stop abusing your employees.

Dec 2, 2013hr

Thanks for your input. We take your feedback seriously and will continue to invest in improving the company.

Management review @ Corporate

Current Employee - Operations in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atmel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to work, work, work this is a great place to be. There is constant change to improve the company so you can learn a lot.

Cons

You have to prove your pay history if you are interviewing, they will only pay within 10% of your last rate. Once you are in they will get every penny they pay you out of you and than some.

Don't forget the people at the foundation of the company who are doing all the daily work to get the revenue out the door-logistics, planning, customer service etc... Remember the company values apply to everyone not just the people below management!
    Because right now they are invisible to you and everyone knows it!

Dec 2, 2013hr

Thanks for the feedback. We are in total agreement that it is the people who help make a difference at Atmel. We value our talent in all locations and at all levels. Our compensation philisophy has ... More

Micromanagement at its worst ever!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Can't think of any really

Cons

Low cubicles, too much open space and need to find and reserve a conference room just to have a meeting or an impromptu meetings. Micromanagement from the CEO himself that often delayed recruiting processes and lost lots. Of great candidates that went on to work for our competitors. Our department had double digit attrition rate within 9 months - undesired departures. People just had enough. Executives act like big babies and whine! I've worked over 90-100 hours per week, sleep deprived, expected to be in the office, no working from home even though many of my colleagues are located overseas, unnecessary conference calls. Also an executive that is afraid to write memos to the entire company on communicating important things like socks, bonuses, policies, etc.

The whole management team needs a brand new make over. Bring new leadership in and get out of your comfort zone! You want culture change? Start from the top! Not do as I say, but not as I do.

Dec 2, 2013hr

Thanks for your feedback. We are in a very competetive market. Sometimes the workload does get quite intensive. Part of our core value is to win as a team with great passion. A very unique ... More

Worst culture

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's better than being unemployed. But not much.

Cons

Oppressive culture. CEO makes all decisions and runs it like a prison. That behavior trickles down to other executives. It's the cheapest place I have ever worked. I feel like had had a significant positive impact on the company but it was such an unpleasant place to work.

Dec 2, 2013hr

Thanks. We are glad that you felt you made a significant positive impact on the company. We will continue to make improvements of our environment in order to help people thrive to higher success.

Not going anywhere

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Atmel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

pay is good if you are on a compressed shift.

Cons

Lack of guidance, Corporate does not support the facility, Lack of communication. unreal expectations. If yo umove up the ladder, your pay goes down???

get involved more.

Dec 2, 2013hr

We sure hope that you can feel comfortable enough to come and talk to the HR department about your concern, especially on the pay issue. We believe in compensating our people fairly and consistently ... More