Atmel Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
2.7

Atmel President and CEO Steve Laub
Steve Laub

Pros
  • Work-life balance, terrific colleagues, great products, nice facility in San Jose (in 12 reviews)

• Good people and an easy going working environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management levels treat everyone beneath them as slightly unintelligent, unworthy peons (in 7 reviews)

• Poor progression for employees except maybe at senior management level (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

should have listened to that inner voice.....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation was very fair but then again I had the upper hand because they needed a resource NOW. New building on Technology Dr much better than the relic on Orchard Parkway. I worked with some enjoyable and smart people whom I hope to cross paths again.

Cons

4 weeks into the position, I should have cut my losses...

The coldest and most sterile place I have ever set foot in. If you walked around the floor of the department (one that should be creative and sharing ideas) in which I worked you would have mistaken it for a weekend day - no energy and quieter than midnight at a mausoleum. When I announced my resignation, many colleagues stated they wish they were also leaving. The work culture is "what have you done for me lately". The expression of appreciation upon project completion is only a head nod and then a spin on the heel to depart the immediate area. Who wants to go to work in that atmosphere? When I left 38 people were assigned the title of VP, which is slightly less than BofA.

No skip level meetings and I was never asked to rate my manager for his/her review. The review process is the manager assesses you but prior to being discussed with you the assessment must be signed by a few levels above you.

Since the day of my resignation the food and drink tastes so much better, I sleep through the night, and the pit in my stomach when I entered the building is a vague memory.

Build a culture which is inviting and makes people want to come to work. This means 1)expressing genuine appreciation for their effort on a basis more frequent than a solar eclipse 2) acknowledging their presence and contribution 3) having people feel it is an added bonus to be paid for what they do.

My best W2 and contracting positions were those I felt getting paid for my effort was an another benefit to being part of the organization.

If you have some rapport with your staff, it should never be a complete surprise they are leaving the company (as it was in my case).

I have worked at Atmel for more than 10 years

Former Employee - Quality Inspector in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Inspector in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional, Defect free parts to customer, shipping ontime

Cons

i can not find cons of Atmel

none

Boring

Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues. Laid back culture.

Cons

Very un-inspiring place to work at. Probably thats how all large companies turn out after some time. Just a sweat shop that churns out standardized designs.

Start a 360degree feedback. Just as you would do an yearly appraisals for the employees, give the employees to give feedback to their bosses and senior managers

lots of opportunities, rough around the edges

Current Employee - Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Atmel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Managers are allowed a lot of flexibility. This can be good or bad, depending on the manger. If you like to seek out new opportunities and take on extra responsibility, Atmel may be a good fit. If you like a structured work environment, it may not be a good fit.

Cons

Upper management focuses on the latest projects and tends to ignore the other business units/departments. If you are not working on the latest product or project, you can easily feel unappreciated.

Recognize the accomplishments of all employees and make them feel valued.

Dec 2, 2013hr

Thanks for your feedback. All projects matter to the ultimate success of the company. We agree that sometimes when one is not working on the "latest" project, he or she may feel not valued or ... More

Worst Company you will ever work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None. This place is awful on every single measure.

Cons

Awful micro-managing bully of a CEO
    Worst HR department on the planet
    Terrible systems
    No culture
    Execs take no accountability
    No strategic planning process
    Focus on cost cutting, no focus on creating value

Resign. Stop yelling. Invest in real systems. Get a real HR department. Have a strategy. Fire under-performing executives. Oh, and stop abusing your employees.

Dec 2, 2013hr

Thanks for your input. We take your feedback seriously and will continue to invest in improving the company.

Management review @ Corporate

Current Employee - Operations in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atmel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to work, work, work this is a great place to be. There is constant change to improve the company so you can learn a lot.

Cons

You have to prove your pay history if you are interviewing, they will only pay within 10% of your last rate. Once you are in they will get every penny they pay you out of you and than some.

Don't forget the people at the foundation of the company who are doing all the daily work to get the revenue out the door-logistics, planning, customer service etc... Remember the company values apply to everyone not just the people below management!
    Because right now they are invisible to you and everyone knows it!

Dec 2, 2013hr

Thanks for the feedback. We are in total agreement that it is the people who help make a difference at Atmel. We value our talent in all locations and at all levels. Our compensation philisophy has ... More

T

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

While still subject to the typical semi-conductor cycles, Atmel has fixed many of its structural problems (selling businesses, excess foundries, etc) to enable it to be quite profitable when in the up-cycles. It's through most of the "turn around" pain and now building for the future.

Cons

All semi-conductor companies seem to suffer severe business cycles and Atmel is no exception. High Tech is a demanding place to work (but always intellectually interesting).

The touch marketplace is currently mostly associated with phone handsets and is therefore extremely volatile.

Micromanagement at its worst ever!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Can't think of any really

Cons

Low cubicles, too much open space and need to find and reserve a conference room just to have a meeting or an impromptu meetings. Micromanagement from the CEO himself that often delayed recruiting processes and lost lots. Of great candidates that went on to work for our competitors. Our department had double digit attrition rate within 9 months - undesired departures. People just had enough. Executives act like big babies and whine! I've worked over 90-100 hours per week, sleep deprived, expected to be in the office, no working from home even though many of my colleagues are located overseas, unnecessary conference calls. Also an executive that is afraid to write memos to the entire company on communicating important things like socks, bonuses, policies, etc.

The whole management team needs a brand new make over. Bring new leadership in and get out of your comfort zone! You want culture change? Start from the top! Not do as I say, but not as I do.

Dec 2, 2013hr

Thanks for your feedback. We are in a very competetive market. Sometimes the workload does get quite intensive. Part of our core value is to win as a team with great passion. A very unique ... More

Great company with lots of growth protential

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atmel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* Big corporation with different sites all over the world
    * Good benefits ( health insurance)
    * Smart people with brilliant ideas of creativity

Cons

Salary for admin is not quite satisfied

Manufacturing support

I worked at Atmel (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generally people are good to work with

Cons

Middle management poor, direction blows in the wind

Dec 2, 2013hr

Thanks for your feedback. It looks like you were not satisfied with the communication. We certainly agree that there is room for us to improve and will continue to make progress.