Atmel Reviews

Updated April 8, 2015
137 reviews filtered by

Can't learn more in this company

Former Employee - Business Planner in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Business Planner in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people and an easy going working environment

Cons

Too many changes in a short time period

No culture, tyrannical HR, overpaid executives, underpaid worker bees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is clean and located near some nice restaurants and the San Jose Airport. It has free parking. A lot of the people are really very friendly and nice, although they're mostly quite downtrodden and submissive.

Cons

The HR department is run tyrannically. It's like a little fascist state, and all HR communications treat people as if they are infants, not grown up adults. The entire company culture reflects this attitude. You'd think management believes it is running a kindergarten the way it condescends and talks down to employees. No alcohol is ever allowed at company events (probably because they consider us children), instead we are treated to "dunk tanks" (dunk your favorite executive, hurray! what are we, 5 years old?) and the occasional ice cream social (which HR cals the cheapest way to make employees happy). Once they even made us go to a company picknick on a weekend, as if we didn't already not have enough free time.

Meanwhile, salaries are kept to a below industry average, benefits aren't nearly as good as many of Atmel's competitors, sick days are taken out of PTO, there are mandatory shutdown periods that also eat into PTO, and career progression opportunities are slim. Are you a manager at Atmel who wants to become a senior manager? or a director someday? Good luck! You will probably never get a significant promotion, no matter how well you work. You will also sit in a horribly depressing cube in the most lifeless, not fun office building you can ever imagine, where everyone just sits in silence staring at screens.

The upper management levels treat everyone beneath them as slightly unintelligent, unworthy peons. They are also snobby with self important attitudes and inflated perceptions of their own and Atmel's importance. The entire place stifles creativity. It is also highly political, and the backstabbing and maneuvering among the higher echelons is quite disgusting, even from a view way down here.

The CEO has no charisma at all, micromanages, and is only money orientated. Employees are not made to feel valued or good about themselves.

Filing expense reports in this company is a joke, and another example of how they treated us like children and didn't trust us. Also it sometimes takes 2 months for expenses to get reimbursed and nobody gets a company credit card, even if you travel a lot, so sometimes you have to put thousands of dollars on your personal card and wait and wait and wait for them to pay you back.

people leave all the time for better opportunities and still they don't get it.

HR got really worried last year when they found out they were rated so badly on Glassdoor, so they forced people to write some good reviews to fix some of the ratings.

I notice that HR comments on every glassdoor post now. Don't be fooled. This is probably someone's job at Atmel now, to pretend they are a good and responsive company, when in actual fact, the attitudes are exactly the same.

Advice to Management

Replace your entire HR team. They are awful. Completely political, micromanaging, controlling. Replace them with people who can actually start building a positive culture, and you may have a small start.

Atmel Response

Jun 24, 2014hr

As our CEO would say, the difference between a good company and a great company is its people. We believe that our people differentiate us from the competition, and we also relentlessly ... More

Job

Former Employee - Equipment Engineer
    Former Employee - Equipment Engineer

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Sweat shop that sucks the life out of people

The Leaellynasaura of Silicon Dinosaurs

Former Employee - Senior Silicon Paleontologist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Silicon Paleontologist in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like the Leaellynasaura, Atmel is small, and has a long tail. It can probably hide and run for a while before eaten by the bigger beasts in the Valley.

Cons

Like the dinosaurs, the company will fail to evolve with the rapid business climate change, and instead, the company will continue to shield itself by adding layers of unnecessary management, politics, and bureaucracy.

The exodus of talent is intrinsic to a business operated poorly, and as if that wasn't enough, the management team accelerates the extinction event by not making the proper investments, providing meaningful leadership, nor show any indicators that they actually understand the semiconductor business--not even a little.

At Atmel, the days are long, but ultimately unproductive. There are still lots of good people at Atmel but the best ones are micromanaged and gagged by their managers, and many are just waiting for another opportunity to come along.

Advice to Management

The period for the Leaellynasaura has been over for a long time. The tectonic plates of this business shifts at a rate that you cannot fathom, much less manage. Please step aside.

Good people, let down by micro-management

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good group of people
    Desire to get better is clear

Cons

Severe Micro-management from CEO down disrupts ability to plan.
    No real investment in systems

Advice to Management

Trust your employees more, way more

I worked at Atmel for a long time.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people that I worked with were a great group of people. I have nothing bad to say about them. Flexible hours that really helped when I had to pick up my kid from school.

Cons

Daily meetings wth no resolutions. You would get the cold shoulder from other departments. You try to say hi to some people, and they look down on you. Poor money compensation. Moving jobs to another country.

Advice to Management

To keep your employees happy, pay them what they are worth, then you will not have your good people leave.

Lots of long term employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Atmel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A Mfg. survivor in this city.

Cons

Tight with the salary dollars

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees

9. great work

I have been working at Atmel

Pros

great work. relaxing enviroment w flexible working hours

Cons

work a lot. no lunch provided

Great colleges

I have been working at Atmel full-time

Pros

Great colleges and good products

Cons

-No internal promotions last ~2 years
    -Hired lots of senior management last ~1 year, but almost no managers or engineers.
    -Very top heavy. more people review material than create it

Advice to Management

Management hypes the company on glassdoor to make it look better. Check the review from Jul 2013, That has got to be from HR management. It does not look good when they do that
    Jan 22 has a similar but shorter review

11. I have worked at Atmel for more than 10 years

Former Employee - Quality Inspector in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Inspector in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Professional, Defect free parts to customer, shipping ontime

Cons

i can not find cons of Atmel

Advice to Management

none