Atmel Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
130 reviews filtered by

I worked at Atmel for a long time.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people that I worked with were a great group of people. I have nothing bad to say about them. Flexible hours that really helped when I had to pick up my kid from school.

Cons

Daily meetings wth no resolutions. You would get the cold shoulder from other departments. You try to say hi to some people, and they look down on you. Poor money compensation. Moving jobs to another country.

To keep your employees happy, pay them what they are worth, then you will not have your good people leave.

Lots of long term employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Atmel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A Mfg. survivor in this city.

Cons

Tight with the salary dollars

Take better care of your employees

3. great work

I have been working at Atmel

Pros

great work. relaxing enviroment w flexible working hours

Cons

work a lot. no lunch provided

Great colleges

I have been working at Atmel full-time

Pros

Great colleges and good products

Cons

-No internal promotions last ~2 years
    -Hired lots of senior management last ~1 year, but almost no managers or engineers.
    -Very top heavy. more people review material than create it

Management hypes the company on glassdoor to make it look better. Check the review from Jul 2013, That has got to be from HR management. It does not look good when they do that
    Jan 22 has a similar but shorter review

6. I have worked at Atmel for more than 10 years

Former Employee - Quality Inspector in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Inspector in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional, Defect free parts to customer, shipping ontime

Cons

i can not find cons of Atmel

none

should have listened to that inner voice.....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation was very fair but then again I had the upper hand because they needed a resource NOW. New building on Technology Dr much better than the relic on Orchard Parkway. I worked with some enjoyable and smart people whom I hope to cross paths again.

Cons

4 weeks into the position, I should have cut my losses...

The coldest and most sterile place I have ever set foot in. If you walked around the floor of the department (one that should be creative and sharing ideas) in which I worked you would have mistaken it for a weekend day - no energy and quieter than midnight at a mausoleum. When I announced my resignation, many colleagues stated they wish they were also leaving. The work culture is "what have you done for me lately". The expression of appreciation upon project completion is only a head nod and then a spin on the heel to depart the immediate area. Who wants to go to work in that atmosphere? When I left 38 people were assigned the title of VP, which is slightly less than BofA.

No skip level meetings and I was never asked to rate my manager for his/her review. The review process is the manager assesses you but prior to being discussed with you the assessment must be signed by a few levels above you.

Since the day of my resignation the food and drink tastes so much better, I sleep through the night, and the pit in my stomach when I entered the building is a vague memory.

Build a culture which is inviting and makes people want to come to work. This means 1)expressing genuine appreciation for their effort on a basis more frequent than a solar eclipse 2) acknowledging their presence and contribution 3) having people feel it is an added bonus to be paid for what they do.

My best W2 and contracting positions were those I felt getting paid for my effort was an another benefit to being part of the organization.

If you have some rapport with your staff, it should never be a complete surprise they are leaving the company (as it was in my case).

Boring

Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues. Laid back culture.

Cons

Very un-inspiring place to work at. Probably thats how all large companies turn out after some time. Just a sweat shop that churns out standardized designs.

Start a 360degree feedback. Just as you would do an yearly appraisals for the employees, give the employees to give feedback to their bosses and senior managers

lots of opportunities, rough around the edges

Current Employee - Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Atmel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Managers are allowed a lot of flexibility. This can be good or bad, depending on the manger. If you like to seek out new opportunities and take on extra responsibility, Atmel may be a good fit. If you like a structured work environment, it may not be a good fit.

Cons

Upper management focuses on the latest projects and tends to ignore the other business units/departments. If you are not working on the latest product or project, you can easily feel unappreciated.

Recognize the accomplishments of all employees and make them feel valued.

Dec 2, 2013hr

Thanks for your feedback. All projects matter to the ultimate success of the company. We agree that sometimes when one is not working on the "latest" project, he or she may feel not valued or ... More

Worst Company you will ever work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None. This place is awful on every single measure.

Cons

Awful micro-managing bully of a CEO
    Worst HR department on the planet
    Terrible systems
    No culture
    Execs take no accountability
    No strategic planning process
    Focus on cost cutting, no focus on creating value

Resign. Stop yelling. Invest in real systems. Get a real HR department. Have a strategy. Fire under-performing executives. Oh, and stop abusing your employees.

Dec 2, 2013hr

Thanks for your input. We take your feedback seriously and will continue to invest in improving the company.

Management review @ Corporate

Current Employee - Operations in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atmel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to work, work, work this is a great place to be. There is constant change to improve the company so you can learn a lot.

Cons

You have to prove your pay history if you are interviewing, they will only pay within 10% of your last rate. Once you are in they will get every penny they pay you out of you and than some.

Don't forget the people at the foundation of the company who are doing all the daily work to get the revenue out the door-logistics, planning, customer service etc... Remember the company values apply to everyone not just the people below management!
    Because right now they are invisible to you and everyone knows it!

Dec 2, 2013hr

Thanks for the feedback. We are in total agreement that it is the people who help make a difference at Atmel. We value our talent in all locations and at all levels. Our compensation philisophy has ... More