Atmel Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated August 5, 2014

2.5

Atmel President and CEO Steve Laub
Steve Laub

Pros
  • very good company from learning point of view with great work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Good people and an easy going working environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor progression for employees except maybe at senior management level (in 6 reviews)

• The upper management levels treat everyone beneath them as slightly unintelligent, unworthy peons (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent company but there are better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atmel full-time for more than a year

Pros

People and work life balance. Allows for work remotely option.

Cons

systems and processes are not quite up to par.

Be more competitive in your compensation (total compensation)

Company trying to grow to next level. In process of establishing basic foundation for growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Atmel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of room for improvement.

Cons

Very difficult to make sustainable changes.

Can't learn more in this company

Former Employee - Business Planner  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Business Planner in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people and an easy going working environment

Cons

Too many changes in a short time period

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No culture, tyrannical HR, overpaid executives, underpaid worker bees

I worked at Atmel full-time for more than a year

Pros

The office is clean and located near some nice restaurants and the San Jose Airport. It has free parking. A lot of the people are really very friendly and nice, although they're mostly quite downtrodden and submissive.

Cons

The HR department is run tyrannically. It's like a little fascist state, and all HR communications treat people as if they are infants, not grown up adults. The entire company culture reflects this attitude. You'd think management believes it is running a kindergarten the way it condescends and talks down to employees. No alcohol is ever allowed at company events (probably because they consider us children), instead we are treated to "dunk tanks" (dunk your favorite executive, hurray! what are we, 5 years old?) and the occasional ice cream social (which HR cals the cheapest way to make employees happy). Once they even made us go to a company picknick on a weekend, as if we didn't already not have enough free time.

Meanwhile, salaries are kept to a below industry average, benefits aren't nearly as good as many of Atmel's competitors, sick days are taken out of PTO, there are mandatory shutdown periods that also eat into PTO, and career progression opportunities are slim. Are you a manager at Atmel who wants to become a senior manager? or a director someday? Good luck! You will probably never get a significant promotion, no matter how well you work. You will also sit in a horribly depressing cube in the most lifeless, not fun office building you can ever imagine, where everyone just sits in silence staring at screens.

The upper management levels treat everyone beneath them as slightly unintelligent, unworthy peons. They are also snobby with self important attitudes and inflated perceptions of their own and Atmel's importance. The entire place stifles creativity. It is also highly political, and the backstabbing and maneuvering among the higher echelons is quite disgusting, even from a view way down here.

The CEO has no charisma at all, micromanages, and is only money orientated. Employees are not made to feel valued or good about themselves.

Filing expense reports in this company is a joke, and another example of how they treated us like children and didn't trust us. Also it sometimes takes 2 months for expenses to get reimbursed and nobody gets a company credit card, even if you travel a lot, so sometimes you have to put thousands of dollars on your personal card and wait and wait and wait for them to pay you back.

people leave all the time for better opportunities and still they don't get it.

HR got really worried last year when they found out they were rated so badly on Glassdoor, so they forced people to write some good reviews to fix some of the ratings.

I notice that HR comments on every glassdoor post now. Don't be fooled. This is probably someone's job at Atmel now, to pretend they are a good and responsive company, when in actual fact, the attitudes are exactly the same.

Replace your entire HR team. They are awful. Completely political, micromanaging, controlling. Replace them with people who can actually start building a positive culture, and you may have a small start.

Atmel Response

Jun 24, 2014hr

As our CEO would say, the difference between a good company and a great company is its people. We believe that our people differentiate us from the competition, and we also relentlessly ... More

The Leaellynasaura of Silicon Dinosaurs

Former Employee - Senior Silicon Paleontologist  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Silicon Paleontologist in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Like the Leaellynasaura, Atmel is small, and has a long tail. It can probably hide and run for a while before eaten by the bigger beasts in the Valley.

Cons

Like the dinosaurs, the company will fail to evolve with the rapid business climate change, and instead, the company will continue to shield itself by adding layers of unnecessary management, politics, and bureaucracy.

The exodus of talent is intrinsic to a business operated poorly, and as if that wasn't enough, the management team accelerates the extinction event by not making the proper investments, providing meaningful leadership, nor show any indicators that they actually understand the semiconductor business--not even a little.

At Atmel, the days are long, but ultimately unproductive. There are still lots of good people at Atmel but the best ones are micromanaged and gagged by their managers, and many are just waiting for another opportunity to come along.

The period for the Leaellynasaura has been over for a long time. The tectonic plates of this business shifts at a rate that you cannot fathom, much less manage. Please step aside.

Good people, let down by micro-management

Former Employee - Applications Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good group of people
    Desire to get better is clear

Cons

Severe Micro-management from CEO down disrupts ability to plan.
    No real investment in systems

Trust your employees more, way more

I worked at Atmel for a long time.

I worked at Atmel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people that I worked with were a great group of people. I have nothing bad to say about them. Flexible hours that really helped when I had to pick up my kid from school.

Cons

Daily meetings wth no resolutions. You would get the cold shoulder from other departments. You try to say hi to some people, and they look down on you. Poor money compensation. Moving jobs to another country.

To keep your employees happy, pay them what they are worth, then you will not have your good people leave.

should have listened to that inner voice.....

I worked at Atmel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation was very fair but then again I had the upper hand because they needed a resource NOW. New building on Technology Dr much better than the relic on Orchard Parkway. I worked with some enjoyable and smart people whom I hope to cross paths again.

Cons

4 weeks into the position, I should have cut my losses...

The coldest and most sterile place I have ever set foot in. If you walked around the floor of the department (one that should be creative and sharing ideas) in which I worked you would have mistaken it for a weekend day - no energy and quieter than midnight at a mausoleum. When I announced my resignation, many colleagues stated they wish they were also leaving. The work culture is "what have you done for me lately". The expression of appreciation upon project completion is only a head nod and then a spin on the heel to depart the immediate area. Who wants to go to work in that atmosphere? When I left 38 people were assigned the title of VP, which is slightly less than BofA.

No skip level meetings and I was never asked to rate my manager for his/her review. The review process is the manager assesses you but prior to being discussed with you the assessment must be signed by a few levels above you.

Since the day of my resignation the food and drink tastes so much better, I sleep through the night, and the pit in my stomach when I entered the building is a vague memory.

Build a culture which is inviting and makes people want to come to work. This means 1)expressing genuine appreciation for their effort on a basis more frequent than a solar eclipse 2) acknowledging their presence and contribution 3) having people feel it is an added bonus to be paid for what they do.

My best W2 and contracting positions were those I felt getting paid for my effort was an another benefit to being part of the organization.

If you have some rapport with your staff, it should never be a complete surprise they are leaving the company (as it was in my case).

I have worked at Atmel for more than 10 years

Former Employee - Quality Inspector  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Inspector in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Professional, Defect free parts to customer, shipping ontime

Cons

i can not find cons of Atmel

none

Boring

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Atmel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly colleagues. Laid back culture.

Cons

Very un-inspiring place to work at. Probably thats how all large companies turn out after some time. Just a sweat shop that churns out standardized designs.

Start a 360degree feedback. Just as you would do an yearly appraisals for the employees, give the employees to give feedback to their bosses and senior managers

Worked for Atmel? Contribute to the Community!