Atria Senior Living
www.atriaseniorliving.com Louisville, KY 5000+ Employees

Atria Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

John A. Moore

Pros:
  • "This company has a pretty good benefits package for the line staff"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Love the residents and many dedicated line staff"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "no life outside of work, long hours"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The executive director was terrible"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

New manager impressed with company

Life Guidance Program Director (Current Employee)
    Portsmouth, RI

ProsExcellent autonomy of my own department. I am impressed with the possibilities of teamwork in the building.

ConsAll monetary and other perks are for employees other than department heads. It would be nice to have some perks to strive and work toward.

Advice to Senior ManagementDepartment heads have passion and skills, find ways to appreciate them too. I know there is a the possibility
    for a bonus, but I need to learn about how that is earned. I appreciate how time-off and time worked is given with my Executive Director. She is fair.

Poor Work-Life Balance, Insufficient Resources, Low Morale

Corporate Employee (Former Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsKnowing the mission of the company is to provide excellent care and independence to aging populations--although not always perfect, I could always take pride in that!

ConsFor perspective, I was a high-performing, respected employee. I was promoted twice in under 4 years. My less-than-stellar review of the company is due to: poor work/life balance (24/7 work expectations without 24/7 pay), average/unremarkable pay in general, reactive rather than proactive operating practices, low employee morale, unwillingness to invest in human and capital resources needed to keep up with company growth, and apparent lack of employee appreciation from senior leadership.

The poor work-life balance was the primary issue that drove me to initiate my job search and ultimately resign for a higher paying position with significantly fewer required working hours and no required travel.

Advice to Senior Management-Evaluate & improve work-life balance expectations.
    -Dedicate appropriate, sufficient resources to meet growing demands.
    -Improve communication in every and all possible respects.
    -Engage in more proactive strategic preparation rather than reactively scrambling to solve preventable issues.

Community Sales Director

Community Sales Director (Former Employee)

ProsValue in helping older adults. At the direct community level a good feeling of team work. The caregivers really put " care" into their working with the residents.

ConsConstant pressure to keep " heads in the beds". Questionable admissions with those who should be placed in a different level of care or when they need a higher level of care to discharge them. Corporate down to Regional management do not have a sense of what is needed at the local level. Just corporate policy.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A refreshing place to work

Resident Service Assistant (Former Employee)

Prosemployee recognition
    well-maintained buildingOpportunity to make a difference each day

Conspay
    team support on certain shifts

Great place to work

DCS (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, good benefits, lots of perks for hourly employees

Consno life outside of work, long hours

Land of Opportunity

Director (Current Employee)

ProsAs with any organization, it's all about the people who work there, from the top down. Our community directors work well together under a supportive ED. They strive for the best and work at making sure staff are taken care of to do their jobs well. There are opportunities to make a management career with the company. Benefits are distributed to every level of employees: education, PTO, meals, awards, etc

ConsBonuses do not seem to be attainable. I hear about them but have not seen them. Just when you think you can manage the workload, more is added. Somehow you can manage that, but it never lets up.

Uncompassionate, condescending, hypocritical management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Portsmouth, RI

ProsThe residents would be the only good reason to work for atria. Other than that if you like to be abused by management, please apply.

ConsUnfair treatment from management. They have a do as I say not as I do attitude. No matter how hard you work or how many days in a row you work or how short staffed you are working they will DEMAND more! While you work like a dog (for barely any pay) the management gets to go home to their families and leave us flat! The turn over is tremendous, and the ED said it was our fault for being unhappy, we are scaring them away. And don't expect any time off during the holidays! Only the ED can take 3 weeks off. One for Thanksgiving, one for Christmas and one for new year's.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horse and QUIT!

LPN

Licensed Practical Nurse Resident Services Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsGood company to work for. Its a good place to start if you just got out of nursing school. This is a stepping stone position.

ConsNo one last at that company, especially the nurses. The pay is crap for all the stress you endure on a daily basis. You don't get to use any of your nursing skills, your basically a receptionist.

Better than Expected for Corp. Office

Corporate Office (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsI was afraid to take the position because of negative glassdoor reviews but I've found the Atria corp office to be a collaborative environment that also allows for you to work on your own and be a leader. The workload is heavy but not unmanageable, so you don't have a chance to get bored and days go by fast.

ConsPaid Time Off is low because it's combined with sick time. So it seems as if there is a "no sick" policy in the corporate office. So I find more people coming in a little under the weather. The entrance exam in the interview process is off-putting and hard but at least you know you are working with competent co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO is a little abrasive but tries hard to be funny too. It's a weird mix to get used to when you don't have regular contact with him. Focus is on sales, as it should be for a successful company that wants to stay in business.

High quality company while still allowing for family life

Director (Current Employee)

ProsVery high expectations for quality and the tools to deliver excellence are at your fingertips. Atria does value work/life balance and wants you to work hard but be able to enjoy time away when it is warranted.

ConsSalaries are not as high as other similar companies which is dissappointing considering the quality they deliver for the residents. Can be difficult to hire quality help when the starting wages are so low.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at wages in each area and adjust based on cost of living.

Worked for Atria Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Atria Senior Living Videos

Atria Senior Living – Why Work for Us?

​​Atria Senior Living is one of the nation's leading providers of independent living, supportive living, assisted living and memory care services. Home to more than 13,000 older Americans in 27 states, Atria communities… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Atria Senior Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Atria Senior Living CEO John A. Moore. All 81 reviews posted anonymously by Atria Senior Living employees.