Atria Senior Living

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
2.5

John A. Moore

Pros
  • This company has a pretty good benefits package for the line staff (in 6 reviews)

• The front line staff that reported to me (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, long hours including weekends and holidays, high rate of turn over (in 10 reviews)

• No work/life balance, employees are treated like crap (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Long term employees but little pay.

Current Employee - Resident Service Assistant in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Resident Service Assistant in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Atria Senior Living

Pros

Great hands on experience. Many staff members have been with the company for many years. Family environment among staff. Great food (which is free meals for each shift you're there). Nice Christmas parties. Many branches to relocate to. Flexible with your life schedule and will work with you.

Cons

Management can slack. Nurses come and go with the communities. Residents that need nursing home care is still accepted. Hard work on your body. No overtime allowed to staff. Sometimes understaffed making work harder.

Hire managers that honestly want to work there. Do a better job assessing residents before moving them in (not be so concerned to just desperately fill apartments). Allow overtime instead of letting the building be understaffed.

Consumers are wonerful

I worked at Atria Senior Living

Pros

staff at location was awsome

Cons

district management team not co-hesive

Im a medtech, I give medicine out and care for elderly.

Current Employee - Med Tech in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Med Tech in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Atria Senior Living

Pros

Because im a people person and it teaching me a lot of interesting things. It makes me feel so good helping people that needs the help. It makes me want and do better in life. Seeing them trying to do better makes me so proud.

Cons

Working and trying to convince them to stay inthe build with out them getting upset. I care for dementia altiphimers residents everyday.

Care for what you chances.

Good company

I have been working at Atria Senior Living

Pros

New office space
    Treats employees fairly
    Open to new ideas and encourages folks to make an impact

Cons

Could use a bit more collaboration between different departments

A disorganized company with high turn over, low pay and low employee morale

I worked at Atria Senior Living

Pros

the people are great and the compassion for people is present

Cons

management is disorganized and over impacted

Fun Place to Work

Former Employee - Dining Manager
    Former Employee - Dining Manager

I worked at Atria Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, lots to do, always opportunities to learn new things that can help you elsewhere.

Cons

Pay not very high for the amount of work/responsibility

Visit properties more often and listen to staff and residents. Low end staff work very hard for very little. Recognize them more or turnover will continue.

The worst place I have ever worked!

Former Employee - Life Guidance Program Director
    Former Employee - Life Guidance Program Director

I worked at Atria Senior Living

Pros

The front line staff, residents and families made it all worthwhile. I had an excellent, loyal and dedicated front-line staff. My staff and I received lots of praise from the Corporate office for creating and maintaining a highly successful Life Guidance Neighborhood. I was hired as a Life Guidance Director and promoted within a year of my employment there and had the opportunity to mentor other directors.

Cons

I have no idea where to begin! During the course of my two years at Atria, I witnessed complete turnover of all management staff several times over. As a matter of fact, on my last day there, every department head was new and started out with "Well, I don't know you too well, but it was nice meeting you...". Atria values profits over people. Extremely high expectations are placed on department heads with limited to no resources to help you meet them. There is absolutely no regard for outstanding staff or directors like myself. I've seen dysfunctional staff and leaders get rewarded in this organization. It's almost as if Atria favors a degree of sociopathy in those that rise in the organization. The more I gave to this organization, the more was expected of me, without additional compensation. I frequently used my own funds to purchase activity supplies for our residents or to recognize employees as Atria only allowed a paltry sum per month for these types of expenditures. I would often get questioned for going over the budget for operating supplies by $20! Please! I've managed budgets over $3 million.! Atria Rewards is a joke! It was so disheartening to learn that employees that had worked at Atria for over 10 years were still making $13/ hr. I worked 60-70 hours a week on average, including weekends, holidays and was on-call all of the time! That seemed to be fine with everyone at the organization. I never received regional support, except on my very last day there when I was asked about my experience at Atria. Shame on you, Atria! Sales was always a priority...how disgusting to keep pushing sales when you're essentially selling a defective product! Ultimately, my integrity got in the way and I had to liberate myself from this unhealthy bond.

Learn to respect and retain good employees! Take care of your diligent directors.
    With retention, your sales will automatically go up, genius!
    Your front-line staff are wonderful human beings and deserve better treatment.
    It is my profound hope that morale can take a front seat some day. Otherwise, the residents and families will continue to be victims of this dysfunctional empire.
    Lastly, share the wealth with your employees. Go undercover, boss, and you'll understand why!

My work is challenging but fulfilling

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Atria Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, bonds with families, training

Cons

Long hours can cause burnout

Upper management seems to be discouraged from managing outside of their position. I think if you are experienced in an area, your input should be valued even if it isn't inside your "box"

They advertise being the leader in Assisted Living, but in truth they are only there to take the money of our seniors.

I worked at Atria Senior Living

Pros

The pros for Atria are the directors and employees that truly care and try to overlook the true reason Atria is in business.

Cons

The senior management runs the business with threats. They thrive on making their directors feel line their jobs are always on the line. The said leader, John Moore has never worked a day in a community. But they love to threaten the ones who spend their lives running the community with always losing their jobs.

Realize that the ED has the experience and knowledge to run the community and that SVP's and HR is not always correct or honest.

Seemed too good to be true

Former Employee - Life Guidance Director in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Life Guidance Director in Topeka, KS

I worked at Atria Senior Living full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, as long as you're in management. Supposedly you get a large bonus after company inspection.

Cons

Hardly any training for the position. They bring you in and give you a bunch of staff you has been without any management or a long time. No LPN for Life Guidance, but there are for other departments and you are supposed to "borrow" them as needed. Floor LPN's earn far less than they should for the amount of work put on them. They are brought in at 16/hr. This makes hiring for quality LPN's a real challenge in management. Also resulting in no LPN's on the floor at times which means management has to stay until one can be found. This results in a VERY unsafe work environment. As LGD I had to stay 36 hours straight and "sleep" on a cot in an empty room while getting calls all night long. The next few days I tried to leave work early to spend time with my children, who are very young, and was told "NO". I ended up working around 72 hours a week which left me no incentive to stay and miss more time with my kids. Also, Executive Director has a terrible attitude towards anyone and everyone, but is very good at smiling to the resident's and staff's face then speaking ill of them when they leave. Not professional. She advises her staff to leave any child over the age of 6 at home alone until you are off work and keep phones off even if they are alone because that was okay back when her kid was little. That today, legally speaking, could be a call to CPS for removal of the child from the home for negligence.

Get rid of the Executive Director, get rid of most management. Start over fresh. PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES, not just management.

Atria Senior Living Photos