Atria's Restaurant and Tavern

Updated July 10, 2014
2.5

Pat McDonnell
1 Rating

Good company to learn with but a bit disorganized for a "small-chain" restaurant.

Former Employee - Sous Chef in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sous Chef in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, fast paced work environment, professional atmosphere at company meetings. Fair wages for the position, free meals, typically fun atmosphere. What made the job great was regular guests you could look forward to pleasing week in and out.

Cons

Work-Life balance is terrible, abandon all hope of having a family, social life, or ever having a holiday off as you will spend your life within the four walls. Limited view on marketing (only within 4-walls was a phrase used often) although I hear/see that is changing. Lack of any sort of half decent training to be a manager. You are basically handed two books, told to read them, then thrown into one of the stores to try and figure things out. If you're lucky someone who knows it will teach you the computer system, but in most cases you are on your own.

Training. you put so much emphasis on training your FOH staff but there is no structure to training in the "Heart of the House" nor is there any real training for your management staff. Every manager should be given at least a week's worth of training on the ins and outs of the Point of Sale system. You should also eliminate the "Managing Partner" / "Proprietor" position entirely and staff with salaried General Managers who are accountable but not investors. It would eliminate the sense of entitlement that goes with the title, and in most cases the poor performance that comes along with it.

Spiraled downhill during time there

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern

Pros

The co-workers at the restaurant were some of the best you could find, got along with them very well, some of which became good friends with to this day. The training program, when I started, was excellent. Helped me to fully understand the food and product being sold.

Cons

Upper management was extremely unstable in both the front and back of house (my restaurant went through something like six or seven GM's in three years, 10-15 upper-level chefs as well) and most FOH managers varied from lazy to incompetent to egomaniacal to all of the above. The words accountability, communication and adaptability became foreign concepts at its worst moments, especially when it came to progressive discipline. Led to a lot of unnecessary stress and frustration, and it became more of a job where I said "I'm sorry" to dining guests more often than not.

It also felt like corporate brass had no idea what they were doing at times and would make a change in the menu or promotions just to backtrack on it shortly thereafter (such as overhauling the summer menu in the middle of the summer menu promotion or getting rid of or changing several menu items, sometimes repeatedly, only to bring them back after enough customers complained about it). It seems like they are more interested in treading water and not trying to adapt to industry trends (who eats pot roast in the summertime?). It's sad since this chain has gone from one of the best places for food in the Pittsburgh area to a glorified Applebee's with little to nothing separating it from the rest of the chain restaurants out there.

Training became more and more of a joke the later I got into my tenure, with servers sometimes being put on the dining room floor not knowing the difference between chardonnay and cabernet or a martini and a manhattan. It might have just been the restaurant I worked at and the lack of attention brought to it by upper management, but it became embarrassing to hear about. It also became ironic because the company has a "VOP" perspective which places value and offers respect to the employee and customer alike, but more often than not upper management (and even the corporate brass) would sometimes treat servers, cooks and other "front-line" workers like subhuman scum.

The condition of the tables, chairs, equipment and foundation became, and still is, a serious issue for the store I was at. More often than not, guests would complain about tables being way too sticky or warped, chairs being broken or wobbly, a roof that leaked and became loose in spots and heating and cooling systems that either were really inconsistent or didn't work at all. More often than not, corporate would do nothing to fix these situations.

Have some idea what you actually want to be. There's many reasons why the reputation of your restaurants has fallen considerably and most of it is because you want to get away by cutting corners and trying to nickel and dime the guest. Stop focusing on cost reduction and focus more on putting a good product out in your dining rooms.

I worked at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern

Pros

I was given the opportunity to come up through the ranks and really develop myself and my career thanks to Pat and the former operating group. They really helped me belive that the sky was the limit of the success that I could have within the company.

Cons

When I started with this group there was a set group of core values that everyone adhered to, which really separated the company from the other "upscale casual restaurants" Towards the end of my 10 year tenure I felt as though we had completely lost that edge and in fact we were below the other upscale casual concepts. In addition the core value that employees are more important than food, had become more propaghanda rather than a core competency for the company. I feel that I was treated in such a way that I had no choice but to give up on all the ideals that I had learned prior to the continuation of turnovers with COO.

They need to stop letting anybody and everybody who is willing to invest money take control over how the concept is run. Get back to the fundamentals that originally made Atrias great. Just cause someone can run a sonic does not mean they can run Atrias efficiently.

Great people to work with, but management has unrealistic expectations

Former Employee - Server Assistant in Mount Lebanon, PA
    Former Employee - Server Assistant in Mount Lebanon, PA

I worked at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are great and fun to work alongside

Cons

Management nit picks at everything you do, low pay for the work put in

Trust employees more

Under Staffed and under paid

I worked at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern part-time

Pros

Nice tip money. Good part time work

Cons

Poor mgmt. Poor co-worker attitude. Need to work weekends to make good money.

A pleasure to work there

Former Employee - Server Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Server Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone takes their product and service seriously.

Cons

The kitchen is open pretty late.

Create a 1-2 dollar meal for employees on break.

nice place

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Atria's Restaurant and Tavern

Pros

mgmt is awesome, care about employees

Cons

bad tips, serving is a hard job to survive on

be more professional