Attain

2.7

Greg J. Baroni
1 Rating

Real Growth, Rewarding Environment

I have been working at Attain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My experience with Attain has been overall very fulfilling. Within the environment of this relatively newly formed company (five years as of 2014), I've had the opportunity to largely shape my role myself. I've had the freedom to really express where I'd like to be with the company without push back or unreasonable obstacles, and more than at any other company I've worked for, I've felt that my talents and interests have been nurtured and encouraged.

In any organization, no matter the industry, there will always be a mixture of harmonious manager/report relationships, and there will be discordant ones. I have been fortunate enough to work with a team (ranging all the way through executive leadership) that I don't just feel I report to, but rather a team with a collaborative energy, no matter your title. I have never felt like I couldn't share an idea and often get to see it come to fruition. It's easy to work hard for people who respect and value your opinions and your time. There is no member of leadership or management that is considered "off-limits" or inaccessible.

In addition, Attain offers a wonderful level of flexibility, whether it's for family needs, educational commitments, or otherwise. Employees work hard for the success of the company, and for that, personal time and the needs of daily life are respected.

Worth considering is the fact that there has been significant growth in the last year and a half or so, from a very small organization, into one that has practically doubled in size in a very short amount of time. Growing pains can be expected for any company rapidly expanding in its first five years. But personally, I've felt rewarded for being a part of that growth, and have not felt hindered in any way. It has been an exciting experience. This company is for ambitious and creative problem solvers.

Cons

There are many employees who work in the field, on client sites across the country, and it is often challenging to find real, tangible ways to bring everyone into the fold.

Management should help encourage participation in group activities (planned or spontaneous) when opportunities arise through their own participation as well as promotion among their teams, in order to help build stronger bonds with those across different projects and practice areas (who would no doubt end up working alongside each other eventually on new projects), and in turn, a stronger culture. These events are sometimes the only informal opportunities for client-facing consultants to get facetime with upper management.

The company whose name I could almost never remember

I worked at Attain full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I think they win work, some of the other underlings are ok.

I gave work-life balance a 3, but other than me obsessing about how bizarre of a work-place it was and how little work I did at home, I barely ever had to put in more than 40. I know people who may not have even put in that regularly. However, as elucidated later, others did not share this experience, thus the average.

Cons

The name "Attain" bugged me from the time I accepted an interview up until this day, it's so unnatural sounding without a context. There's no present tense of the verb form "to attain," I guess maybe "Attainment" would work in that sense and as a better name. Along with having relative amnesia about the company name, no one else will know who you work for as well.

Now for the substantive cons:

I literally did next to no work for months on a project. It seemed that middle to upper management was so busy justifying not having any staff doing no work by doing fluff reporting that they couldn't even get management of a team close to their to-do list. It was like living in a bizarro world where 8 hours of refreshing the Huffington Post was great work and nothing was ever badly done. Truly a horror-show confluence of factors, taking complex work while hiring under-qualified and large firm burnouts and staffing the base level employees almost exclusively with well intentioned, hard working former administrative female employees looking to escape to a serious desk job with duties beyond jotting notes, editing others work, color coding, and primarily secretarial duties, only to have the intense gender bias of Attain shove them into exactly that work.

Never have I seen a company punish those who volunteer and go the extra mile so severely with back-breaking menial tasking as I ever have at Attain. I assume that sometimes these crushing mind-numbing tasks ended with real remuneration or greater token title changes, but I never saw it.

Apparently the story of their inception is multiple M&A's of floundering consulting companies (Bearing Point Consulting USA, some other company) but to my knowledge the results never changed.

Underbidding competition and returning crap results only goes so far. A shoestring company is possible to run, but talent has to be homegrown and cared for like nobody's business, especially if real salaries aren't possible.

Extremely Disappointed

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Attain full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to work for a growing firm, full benefits, 401k with matching, PTO, competitive salaries,

Cons

Promised training which which was repeatedly postponed; you have an annual educational allowance but they just deny it so you must pay out of pocket to train or pay for certifications; management doesn't deliver on the promises they made to get you to join their firm; your performance is rated on goals which you do not have a reasonable opportunity to fulfill;

Institute an annual employee survey via Gallup or other reputable source to identify your points of failure before you continue to lose talented people.

The best career path I know of in the consulting industry

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Attain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Independence, empowerment, growth, mentorship, superior management team

Cons

Resource constraints, high expectations, up or out model

Very disrespectful and no professional growth

I have been working at Attain

Pros

Govt contract grabber. So there you go, if you wanna work as a contractor to the US Govt. Even though they do not get contracts these days but still.

You get your paycheck on time.

Cons

1. Bad management
    2. Very non-personal even though small
    3. Business is slow and they do not have a lot of contracts
    4. Striving for growth opportunities is only limited to their speech for the annual party

1. Please focus on business and get enough contracts to give challenging work to the employees.
    2. Do not lie.

Why am I here?

I have been working at Attain

Pros

Little/no oversight by management (I guess that's positive)

Cons

Some of the partners appear only interested in picking up their paychecks; have no interest in their staffs work or career goals or success

Get some real managers in there, or hang it up

Integrity. Quality. Teamwork. Customer Care.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Attain full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Highly skilled technical staff. The owner of the business is a wonderful person to work for. Customers and staff are treated with respect and the company acts in the best interests of customers and staff rather than its own, leading to long term stability. Excellent attitude towards sharing knowledge and helping staff build their expertise. Believe it or not, there are no ego's / politics. Many staff are long term but new comers are welcomed and made to feel at home.

Cons

Can be slow to get things done, usually due to being busy with customer project work.

Maintain the integrity and people-focus which has lead to your success so far. Continue the close communication with customers.

Poor Management

I have been working at Attain

Pros

The pay is decent and there is somewhat of a worklife balance.

Cons

The senior management is not very good. They seem unprepared and not very supportive of the practice. They are not working to get new clients and are not keeping good relationships with clients they currently have.

Keep the staff more informed of current project possibilities and prasie they staff when they have done a good job.

N/A

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst

I worked at Attain

Pros

"Work from home" and flexible schedule

Cons

Lack of support from leadership in personal growth and development

N/A