Attain Reviews

Greg J. Baroni

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Attain

Pros

Opportunity for advancement within the company.

Cons

I don't have any at this time.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. Great work-life balance

I have been working at Attain full-time

Pros

- Freedom to innovate - Opportunities to try new things and acquire new skills - Training is valued and encouraged - Great work-life balance

Cons

- Still moving into new home office, but should be settled soon! - Some growing pains

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. dissapointed

I worked at Attain

Pros

Good culture but the way they deal with communication is very flawed and leaves much to be wanted. Good location since they have a new building.

Cons

They're a very small company so their recruitment practices are very bad. They literally just throw you in a pool of different people and hope that someone comes out alive and then they get the job...if you can get them to respond.

Client Success, Personal Reward

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Attain full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I consulted to Attain for 4-years prior to joining them on a full time basis. My experience has been extremely positive throughout my tenure. In my role, I work closely with Attain’s client teams to capture and retain business. In all of the efforts I have supported, never have I seen words in the proposal mean anything less than what they say – Attain is committed to delivery excellence and client satisfaction – that is what is written and that is what is intended. Although I have no direct involvement with clients, I am incented to contribute to their success and am rewarded for doing so. Pros - Core values are communicated and enacted - Employees are encouraged to chart an accelerated career path - Quality of life matters – while hard work is expected, the conditions are excellent and quality effort is rewarded - Corporate sponsorships (e.g. National Kidney Foundation, Women’s Center of VA) are socially relevant

Cons

If you need to be told exactly what to do every work day, this company is not for you.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting Attain's core values - they are genuine and are applicable both professionally and personally.

6. contractor

I worked at Attain

Pros

The salary and benefits were decent.

Cons

The overall was very poor and disjointed.

7. Disparity between partners (mgmt) and employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at Attain

Pros

Partners have a long history of working together despite the company being less than 6 years old. Pay was on the higher end of the market.

Cons

Very little infrastructure to support a growing business. While given the charge to develop process (records management, deal tracking, etc.), every attempt made to establish essential business processes was not supported. No real team effort or collective focus on overall success, only personal success mattered. office politics at its worst.

8. It's been a rollercoaster ride

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Attain full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management is improving. There seems to be an emphasis on improving the management and training managers to be better. It seems like someone is listening. CEO is fantastic and really cares about the company. Flexible time off. Encouragement to participate in the community.

Cons

Changing requirements for performance evaluations. Inconsistent management. Underpaid. Severe lack of female leadership.

Advice to Management

Follow up on promises. Be consistent.

9. Low bidding government contracts and filling them with junior employees

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Attain full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Average benefits such as the 401k and a company laptop. An average emphasis on career development which is to say that there are established tracks. You do get your paychecks on time.

Cons

My own experience is that account managers will inflate the position to bring you on board. Emphasis seems to be on "cheap" versus "quality".

Advice to Management

A business plan that consists of low bidding government contracts and then filling them with low paid junior employees is probably not something you want to be known for.

10. Real Growth, Rewarding Environment

I have been working at Attain full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience with Attain has been overall very fulfilling. Within the environment of this relatively newly formed company (five years as of 2014), I've had the opportunity to largely shape my role myself. I've had the freedom to really express where I'd like to be with the company without push back or unreasonable obstacles, and more than at any other company I've worked for, I've felt that my talents and interests have been nurtured and encouraged. In any organization, no matter the industry, there will always be a mixture of harmonious manager/report relationships, and there will be discordant ones. I have been fortunate enough to work with a team (ranging all the way through executive leadership) that I don't just feel I report to, but rather a team with a collaborative energy, no matter your title. I have never felt like I couldn't share an idea and often get to see it come to fruition. It's easy to work hard for people who respect and value your opinions and your time. There is no member of leadership or management that is considered "off-limits" or inaccessible. In addition, Attain offers a wonderful level of flexibility, whether it's for family needs, educational commitments, or otherwise. Employees work hard for the success of the company, and for that, personal time and the needs of daily life are respected. Worth considering is the fact that there has been significant growth in the last year and a half or so, from a very small organization, into one that has practically doubled in size in a very short amount of time. Growing pains can be expected for any company rapidly expanding in its first five years. But personally, I've felt rewarded for being a part of that growth, and have not felt hindered in any way. It has been an exciting experience. This company is for ambitious and creative problem solvers.

Cons

There are many employees who work in the field, on client sites across the country, and it is often challenging to find real, tangible ways to bring everyone into the fold.

Advice to Management

Management should help encourage participation in group activities (planned or spontaneous) when opportunities arise through their own participation as well as promotion among their teams, in order to help build stronger bonds with those across different projects and practice areas (who would no doubt end up working alongside each other eventually on new projects), and in turn, a stronger culture. These events are sometimes the only informal opportunities for client-facing consultants to get facetime with upper management.

11. The company whose name I could almost never remember

I worked at Attain full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think they win work, some of the other underlings are ok. I gave work-life balance a 3, but other than me obsessing about how bizarre of a work-place it was and how little work I did at home, I barely ever had to put in more than 40. I know people who may not have even put in that regularly. However, as elucidated later, others did not share this experience, thus the average.

Cons

The name "Attain" bugged me from the time I accepted an interview up until this day, it's so unnatural sounding without a context. There's no present tense of the verb form "to attain," I guess maybe "Attainment" would work in that sense and as a better name. Along with having relative amnesia about the company name, no one else will know who you work for as well. Now for the substantive cons: I literally did next to no work for months on a project. It seemed that middle to upper management was so busy justifying not having any staff doing no work by doing fluff reporting that they couldn't even get management of a team close to their to-do list. It was like living in a bizarro world where 8 hours of refreshing the Huffington Post was great work and nothing was ever badly done. Truly a horror-show confluence of factors, taking complex work while hiring under-qualified and large firm burnouts and staffing the base level employees almost exclusively with well intentioned, hard working former administrative female employees looking to escape to a serious desk job with duties beyond jotting notes, editing others work, color coding, and primarily secretarial duties, only to have the intense gender bias of Attain shove them into exactly that work. Never have I seen a company punish those who volunteer and go the extra mile so severely with back-breaking menial tasking as I ever have at Attain. I assume that sometimes these crushing mind-numbing tasks ended with real remuneration or greater token title changes, but I never saw it. Apparently the story of their inception is multiple M&A's of floundering consulting companies (Bearing Point Consulting USA, some other company) but to my knowledge the results never changed.

Advice to Management

Underbidding competition and returning crap results only goes so far. A shoestring company is possible to run, but talent has to be homegrown and cared for like nobody's business, especially if real salaries aren't possible.

RSS Feed </> Embed