Au Pair in America Reviews

CEO

1. Community Counselor

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Au Pair in America as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

People, online resources, make your own schedule, be a part of the community and people's lives. Your salary is based on the families in your cluster. You don't get paid to get families, rather who are happy and remain in your cluster in your area. It benefits you to choose people and au pairs wisely.

Cons

Paperwork (hopefully online forms have been installed).

Advice to Management

Those in "lone ranger" regions need freedom to be supported with appropriate finances and resources for marketing.

2. Community Counselor

Former Employee - Community Counselor in West Lebanon, NH
    Former Employee - Community Counselor in West Lebanon, NH

I worked at Au Pair in America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The community of counselors combined with the freedom to build your own schedule was the best. Connecting with au pairs, local families, and community members as well as traveling to training meetings was also great.

Cons

1099 and tax rates and figuring that out on your own as a self-employed individual. Some training materials weren't online and made implementation of the work not as efficient. Some training and rewards weren't available for certain counselors (like in my region) which was a bit of a draw-back. We tried to advocate for creating an alternative system, but it took too long and still hasn't been implemented.

Advice to Management

Some training and rewards weren't available for certain counselors (like in my region) which was a bit of a draw-back. We tried to advocate for creating an alternative system, but it took too long and still hasn't been implemented. Finding ways to hear news from your boots on the ground (counselors) and reward them for ideas is really important.

3. Au Pair

Former Contractor - Au Pair in Highland Park, IL
    Former Contractor - Au Pair in Highland Park, IL

I worked at Au Pair in America as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

By far the best experience of my life! - Opportunity to expand cultural knowledge - Getting to know people from all over the world - Many travel opportunities (with or without the host-family) - Get to know who you really are!

Cons

It is very exciting to be part of the program but the pay isn't the best. Au pairs are very under-paid and they are always struggling, but considering the young age, I think this also teaches us how to make smart financial decisions.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! The orientation is a great way to welcome girls from all over the world.

5. Au Pair

Pros

Great cultural experience especially if matched with a great family. A lot of possibilities for traveling and learning at the college.

Cons

A lot of work, depending on how many children in the family. I would discourage people who are not willing to work, and don't have a lot of patience to even apply. Working with children is not for everyone.

Established culture and internal process, not able to integrate new/modern techniqutes

Pros

The company runs on the core values of family. The majority of the women working for the company are mothers and that is to be expected due to what the company does. Communication is key with this company and if there is ever a question or a request it is handled quickly and efficiently. A small company, so there is very little red tape to step over.

Cons

The company takes pride in their long standing presence in their field, and they should. Being the first company on the scene is something to brag about. But with the current forecast ahead they needed to embrace modernism. They are a company set in their ways. The same ways that made them #1 is now bringing them down. The Community Counselor's seem to mostly be from the company years ago and haven't moved on. That brought the new employees, younger employees, something of a wall to hit. they were not embracing change and letting the change affect the company. Advancement is none, this is a company that works on part-time only positions for people looking to spend some free time during their retirement.

Advice to Management

Bring new life into the company. Embrace change and let the new processes take time to take effect. Let management filter down instead of staying back in the corporate offices. The minute the forces on the ground feel like they are being supported, more progress will result.

7. Community Counselors

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Au Pair in America as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a contractor there's freedom from having to work a straight 9-5 schedule Event and meeting planning `for program participants affords many areas to be creative. Required meetings can be scheduled during traditional non business hours

Cons

Low pay with no merit raises Detachment from upper management - Departing contractors must alert colleagues and other business contacts. No acknowledgement of staff departure. Office and out -of -office- cliques. Management favoritism.

Advice to Management

Merit raises and/or bonuses. Acknowledgement of staff. Less cronyism.

8. Great company--values/respects their employees as well as the au pairs

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Au Pair in America as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

great part-time, work from home opportunities opportunities for career growth company is great about promoting from within great conferences both domestically and internationally are part of the company benefit

Cons

would be great if they considered a discount for an au pair to their local representatives.

9. Reality : your just a cleaning lady and the agency don't care about u

Former Contractor - Au Pair in Baltimore, MD
    Former Contractor - Au Pair in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Au Pair in America as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Your able to travel a little bit

Cons

As soon as your in america the au pair agency doesn't care about u. The host family just uses u by making u work over hours, makes u clean the house uses u in your free time, ..........don't be live all the stuff the agency tells u. The host family's paying higher fees to the agency then the au pairs so they care more about the host family then you. They will replace u with an new au pair and sent u back on your own expense!!!!!

Advice to Management

Nothing to say about that

10. It is being one of the best experiences of my life

Current Employee - Au Pair in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Au Pair in Portland, OR

I have been working at Au Pair in America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work in the US. Get to meet lots of new people. Get to take care of beautiful and nice children that will love you as a family member. Get to know American culture.

Cons

Sometimes you miss your family and friends back in home, but other than that, I don't see any more cons.

The experience overall teaches you how to learn living far from home and to be responsible for another human life

Former Employee - Au Pair in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Au Pair in New York, NY

I worked at Au Pair in America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- This experience opened my mind to other cultures, not just the american - Teached me how to live with a different family with different rules and different habits. - Increased my sense of responsibility since another human being was dependant on my work. - Offered me the opportunity to assist to schools that normally would have being very costly to attend - Gave me the chance to travel to many places and cities - I have met very interesting people, made friends and learn from others situations

Cons

- It is very easy to get misunderstandings with your host family when you don´t have a good communication. - It is practically a matter of "good luck" whether you get a nice family since you never know how things can turn out after a while with the family you chose to live with

Advice to Management

a way to avoid misunderstandings between the au pair and the family is to have a closer relation between the person responsible of the area with the au pairs to serve as conciliator between this two parties before misunderstandings arise.

RSS Feed </> Embed