Auburn University

Auburn University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Auburn University President Jay Gogue

Jay Gogue

Pros
  • Work environment is very nurturing(in 6 reviews)

• Great for networking with alumni, great first job for a student, generally flexible hours(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Over it you have to be registered as a full time student to get benefits(in 6 reviews)

• The student job I worked provided a stipend that was very small and would have corresponded with less than minimum wage(in 3 reviews)

It is a great place with wonderful people, that a looming bureaucracy hangs overhead.

ProsFriendly People, two weeks pay for Christmas while not in session, constant change, continuing education

ConsBureaucracy can stop anything at anytime with thought of cost, whether time or money.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the people that the changes will effect the most. Seems to be a communication barrier between departments like facilities, Classroom support, individual units, and the Dean/Provost office.

Pleasing experience in which you're encouraged to develop personally and professionally through various opportunities.

Commercialization Intern (Current Employee) Auburn, AL

ProsThe employers here encourage you to grab opportunities that come along and often provide opportunities to grab onto. They encourage you to follow your passions and try to line you up with them. Scheduling is awesomely flexible.

ConsSome things can be too self-driven, more examples and guidance of how to do certain aspects of the job would be nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a hands-on demo-day as one of the training days. Telling while showing the employees what to do is helpful but having them do it themselves while you guide them through it is more helpful.

Family workplace

Specialist III (Current Employee) Auburn, AL

ProsEmployess care about the work that they do. Work environment is very nurturing. Flexible work for families with children. Very stable job.

ConsPay is not as competitive as I would like. Actually getting a job at the University can be a slow and long process.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow better job assistance to change positions within Auburn University. More career planning options and guidance would be beneficial to employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working as a research assistant was wonderful.

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Auburn, AL

ProsAs a research assistant, you get flexible hours and get to work on something you are passionate about. It increases your knowledge in your personal studies and adds experience to your resume. It really makes me consider going on to be a professor.

ConsThere are no benefits, as it is usually a part time job. Also, if you must work on campus, parking is a chore.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsidering management is usually professors, just keep up the good work!

Nice Experience

Work Study Student (Former Employee) Auburn, AL

ProsIt is a beautiful campus, the office culture is okay, the people are friendly and administrators/supervisors are usually understanding. Also flexible..

ConsThe minimum wage pay on most student positions sucks, the job can be boring

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Geology)

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Auburn, AL

ProsGreat benefits and compensation as at teaching assistant. People were easy and quick to work with. Great University!

ConsParking... Prepare to walk in that southern heat...

Great place to work as a researcher

ProsNice environment. Low life expenses. Friendly people.

ConsThere are few job opennings here.

Research Assistant MECH ENG

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Auburn, AL

ProsProfessional group of people to conduct research with and there are a versatility of topics that the faculty members work on.

ConsFunding is not always available for graduate student research

Good student jobs

Editorial Intern (Current Employee) Auburn, AL

ProsAuburn offers many great opportunities for students to work for the university while taking classes.

ConsPay is minimum wage or below at most positions

Graduate Research Assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Auburn, AL

ProsI work with brilliant professors who are constantly trying to apply their research to the "real world," Student financial support is great, I have had (and taken) many opportunities to hone my skills.

ConsYou are only trained on how to enter academia after graduation, without the "right" advisor-advisee fit, you may be out of luck when it comes to advancing your career while in school.

Worked for Auburn University? Contribute to the Community!