Auction.com, LLC

Updated September 7, 2014
Updated September 7, 2014
2.4

Jeffrey Frieden

Pros
  • The great people that work here and a lot of fun as well (in 3 reviews)

• Work/life balance was excellent (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • My bonus was late but I do realize that I'm lucky enough to get a bonus so I'm not complaining about that so much as I am the lack of communication (in 3 reviews)

• Maybe these comments will actually get the leadership team to care (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Slowly getting better...but still a ways to go

Current Employee - Director in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Auction.com, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unstructured environment means opportunity to broaden skills (but you have to take the initiative yourself, don't expect anyone to give you guidance - you just need to go do it)
    Some great co-workers who are super smart, but generally don't take themselves too seriously
    Recent executive additions (CMO, CFO) are very good and seem to be having a real impact
    Free lunch and well stocked kitchen with lots of snacks
    Overall compensation is better than average for similar sized companies
    Google seems to be having a good impact on the company

Cons

You may not be recognized or compensated for your hard work (depends on what department you're in, and whether or not you're deemed to be a "valuable" employee" which may or may not have any correlation to your actual performance)
    Chaotic environment with lots of change. This in itself isn't such a bad thing (if you're OK working in this kind of environment), but lack of communication makes it hard to know which direction the company is going on any given day so a lot of effort gets wasted.
    Lack of alignment across the organization - lots of silos
    Unless executives learn how to delegate more, the company will never scale

Communicate more (although this is getting better)
    If you really want to be a growth/technology company - then tie everyone's compensation to growth. The company is too siloed and you have executives doing what is best for them, not what is best for the company. Pay people for PERFORMANCE.

Getting Better Over Time

I have been working at Auction.com, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After a rough few months of changes and layoffs, the company finally feels like it's better aligned for future success. Teams are better structured and we now have common goals. We've redefined our company mission and vision, and it feels like our individual goals and OKRs are aligning to achieve our mission/vision. It's not 100% there but it is getting better and I'm very hopeful for the future. The executive team is aware that we need to work on our culture and is making a dedicated effort to listen to employees, communicate better with employees, and build a strong culture.

What I'm about to type will sound pretty brutal but it's how I perceive the situation - there are a lot of comments on here talking about the layoffs. I will agree that there were a handful of good people in those layoffs that got let go with little to no communication but for the most part? The layoffs reduced redundancy and got rid of idiots. And unfortunately, there were wayyy to many idiots that didn't do anything prior to the layoffs. There are substantially fewer idiots now and the people left are people who actually work and do their job and do it well.

My benefits are pretty decent, we get free food in the Belmont office which is cool, my technology set up is pretty awesome, my coworkers are great and i'm finally on a great team. Like i said, it was a few bumpy months but I think things are finally aligned and will get even better over the next few months as we continue focus on our objectives, our employees, and our business.

To sum up:

* There are substantially fewer idiots, complainers and slackers now
    * Teams finally aligned and make sense
    * We got paid a bonus and while it was late, we still got one despite a downturn in overall company performance. Having come from big companies that don't give you squat when the company performance isn't 110%, i think something is better than nothing
    * Things are improving, management is aware of the problems and are working to fix things over time
    * Free food for Belmont, snacks, fun team

Cons

In the year that I've been here, I have had 4 different managers and the first three were awful. My current management team actually understands marketing and what I do so that is good. The layoffs demoralized people so that's been a con as people feel down and currently mistrustful of management. The communication from management isn't great. My bonus was late but I do realize that I'm lucky enough to get a bonus so I'm not complaining about that so much as I am the lack of communication. Internal communication is awful and needs to get better.

Continue to listen to your employees and continue to work on company culture. Improve internal communication around issues like bonuses, management changes, etc. Continue to build on internal transparency

Things are getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Auction.com, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Q2 Bonus paid out 100%
    Free lunches
    Google Partnership/Investment
    Lots of cool work here in Technology and the team I work on.
    Always busy and working on new things/projects

Cons

Leadership is still concerning - CEO/President, but they are honestly trying to do better and communicate more. Still have a long way to go, but at least some effort is being put forth to trying to correct culture and make employees happier.

Keep trying and actually show you that you care about your employees. They are the most important asset in any company. Not only hiring great people, but keeping them. I have been here for 5 months and my recruiter at the time, Ali, did a phenomenal job of being honest with me and explaining what the company was going through. Ali set expectations with me, was honest, upfront and told me nothing but the truth. None of these reviews are shocking because of that. I am hopeful change for the better will continue and I thank Ali for the good opportunity thus far.

Do your homework and think twice before signing on the dotted line

Former Employee - N/A in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - N/A in Belmont, CA

I worked at Auction.com, LLC full-time

Pros

Start up in real estate industry

Cons

Poor leadership. CEO President, and C-level don't have the organizational, operational, technical and leadership skills to lead a big business. Also, as others have mentioned, it's a revolving door of executives.

Cultural mess. Worst parts of entrepreneur, military and Silicon Valley thinking all mixed together. What you end up getting is a 'get rich at any cost, top down contradictory, don't question authority, limited thinking, entitled, arrogant, big ideas and buzzwords with no substance' culture.

Ethics. Just don't treat people right. Others have mentioned layoffs in reviews as if it were a shock. This has happened for years. It just shows how employees are viewed as disposable resources rather than talent. Check out Yelp or other sites for another opinion. I actually think less of Google because of their association.

DON'T BELIEVE ANY HYPE. A RESULT OF INTERNAL CAMPAIGN TO BOOST GLASSDOOR RATINGS JOIN AT YOUR OWN RISK. A CAREER BOMB!

Current Employee - N/A in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Auction.com, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Industry and potential could be exciting, if under different leadership
    Pay is above market, need to seduce others away before firing them a few months later
    Strong talent, but regular revolving door as folks leave...either quit or fired!
    Google investment, until they wisen up...

Cons

The company is a technology "wanna be" but don't have a clue. Executive leadership, whilesome have impressive pedigrees, is the worst I have experienced and a constant revoving door. CEO lacks formal education and has never run a technology company, rather a real estate person who made his money during the economic downturn of distressed properties. Disingenuous. His team are figure heads only, no one empowered because CEO calls all the shots, to include who he likes and doesn't like (at a complete whim I might add, no rationale, just decides he doesn't like you and wants you out.) President has never run a company, lots of costly mistakes, lack of focus, direction and strategy changes, poor alignment - all at employee's expense. Terminations and layoffs part of the culture, without rationale or a conscience. During the recruiting process, they say what they need to lure you away from a successful company/career, and just as quickly change direction, transfer you/fire you and leave you hanging, without remorse or a second thought. We have seen this over and over and it is hard to work for a company that can treat our peers so poorly. I just have lost all trust and confidence.

As a result, little respect, commitment and the good employees are looking for new jobs.

Seriously, this company doesn't have any integrity, doesn’t care about employees, we are completely expendable. Here today, bye bye tomorrow.

No more lip service, actions speak louder than words. Get CEO out of the way and hire professional, experienced executive management that have proven experience running and growing a company.

Work here at your own risk!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Auction.com, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- great, knowledgeable, skill people to work with.
    - weekly lunch.

Cons

- no collaboration between departments.
    - no company culture.
    - nerve racking attitude from Senior Management.
    -low morale.
    -dysfunctional and unbalance atmosphere from management.
    -every employee for themselves.

get the skeletons out of the closet before going public. Major housekeeping....$