Audible

Audible Chairman and CEO Donald R. Katz

Donald R. Katz

Great Talent Pool limited by horrible politics

Manager (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsSome of the smartest people to work with
    Amazon tools and infrastructure makes software development very easy
    Great people, good perks including free food, ping pong and average health benefits

ConsPolitics, politics, politics - VPs constantly fighting each other, whether it be for head count or just trying to outshine each other.

Horrible hiring of leadership - As great as the company is at hiring top individual contributor talent, its just as bad at hiring leadership (director and above). As such, while some employees love the leadership they report to, there is a huge chunk of people that absolutely hate how clueless the leadership is, especially when it comes to technology or even managing talented people.

Employee Churn - Directly related to the above two cons

Hiring Process - While they have taken on the Amazon bar raiser program and as a result, brought on some really talented engineers, there is really a lack of difficult problems to solve. Audible's approach to growing as a company is limited to minimal innovation in their core product and more of jumping on as many amazon platforms/devices as they can to try to expose themselves to amazon customers. As such, there is a lot of innovation happening at Amazon but very little at Audible. Think of amazon soaking their feat in everything, from hardware to software to services. Audible is still very much an audiobook seller.

Lack of transparency - Lots of decisions being taken my leadership behind closed doors without any explanation to engineers. There are days you see employees just disappear later to find out they were fired.

NEWARK NEWARK NEWARK! One of the top crime cities in the country. The CEO is sold on being in Newark and this is definitely making hiring harder and harder for recruiters. He seems to be the only one that loves Newark and is clueless that the rest of the people that work there hate coming to Newark.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk yourself the following -
    1. Are you challenging your top talent enough
    2. Are you taking Amazon's confrontational culture to a whole different dark side by constantly trying to one-up each other?
    3. Reevaluate your hiring of top level leaders. If you are seeing high employee churn in their groups, maybe you are better off getting rid of that VP/SVP.

sweat shop -

Software Development Engineer In Test (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

Prosbig name like Amazon and friendly commute for NJ people.

Cons- Get ready to work extra hours every day, year round.
    - do not get paid for on call every month or so. worst case, every other weekend. Not paid even dime for all extra weekends you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe focused and deliver value for customers, investors and employees and not for only you.

Great Perks.. Average Pay...

Customer Care (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsThey have alot of cool perks. Free lunch Mon thru Fri, gym access, tuition reinbursement.

ConsIf you are promoted within the pay increases are horrible and lack of opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter goals and leadership.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing culture, great talent, life improving product...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsThe culture is great, balancing the unique culture (and mission) of Audible, with the technology and process capabilities of Amazon. Open work environment, minimal bureaucracy, free lunch, snacks and drinks, really smart people - wherever you turn.

ConsHigh hiring bar, constant focus on delivering results, and an emphasis on putting listeners (customers) means that it might not be the right company for everyone.

Not for Everyone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree lunch and snacks available daily
    Lots of socialization opportunities: happy hours, Iron Chef challenge, sports clubs, etc.
    Very competitive starting salary with favorable stock options
    Audible employees are among the smartest and most capable people - if someone has worked here over a year, they are capable of almost anything. The experience is invaluable
    If you are in the right group, you can feel as though you are really making a difference in the company and positively affecting the experience of Audible members.

ConsOpen floor plan spreads germs around and glass conference rooms severely limits privacy.
    Newark location is the worst - there is literally nowhere to go if you want to step away from your desk for air
    Insurance is mediocre at best
    Not a ton of transparency across departments
    Few paid holidays - you have to work MLK Jr day, President's Day, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, etc.
    Priorities and goals of various groups change all the time, and are often in conflict with one another. At time you feel like you are competing against colleagues, rather than collaborating towards the same goals
    Work life balance feels non-existent. Though some people leave at 5, everyone brings their work home with them at night and on the weekends.
    Not a ton of women leaders in senior management, and doesn't seem to be heading in that direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have the financial resources: hire more admin support so the talent you bring in can focus on creativity and innovation, as promised!

Never a dull moment - in a good way!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

Pros- Lifestyle product
    - Collaborative and entrepreneurial culture
    - Built off best-in-class Amazon services
    - Impactful work
    - Free food (which can also be a con)
    - AMZN stock
    - Day 1 in terms of growth potential

Cons- Commute if you live in NYC
    - Promotions take time
    - Limited veg food options
    - Forecasting and goal setting process is time consuming
    - Space

Advice to Senior ManagementOnward...

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Place filled with intelligent and happy employees

Pros- Positive energy
    - No Micro management
    - Very helpful people around (specially HR, amazing diversity in the HR - like the fact there is no preference in race or color)
    - All immigration work was done smoothly by HR
    - Enjoyed the first day tour of the office (Very well done by Mike)
    - Free Lunches and healthy snacks
    - Starbucks on the house
    - Keep introducing varieties of healthy snack options

ConsParking and complimentary shuttle - both are not in the best of shape.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery staff in Management have gray hair - Give the youngsters a break.
    Some management staff have no hair :)

From a contractor's point of view...

Contractor (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsGreat culture and overall atmosphere

Free lunch which is great but I will agree that Wednesdays and Fridays do suck but at the same time… nobody is forcing us to eat the lunch and did I mention… It’s FREE!
    Wednesdays are create your own sandwich and Friday is Salads. I am a Carnivore!

Great Flexibility. Work from home when I need to. There is no hard time as to when you should be at work and you’re not trapped at your desk when it’s time to leave.

Most contractors do get converted fulltime if they want to.

I can truly say that we work hard here but also have fun.

This is a company and product that you want to stand behind and love to work for.

I love the open design and nobody has an office. You never get the feeling that someone is above you.

Great Pay!

Great view of NYC!

ConsMy only con from a contractor’s perspective is the parking situation. They won’t allow you to buy a parking pass for the lot right in front of the building. You can pay per day which is a hassle because I never carry cash on me. I ended up getting a parking lot around the corner which is about a 5 minute walk in a covered garage for the same price.

Advice to Senior ManagementI approve of the job senior management is doing. If I were to dig for a critique it would be to be more open with changes going on in the organization up front so we can plan accordingly. Especially positive changes.

Very positive experience. Lauren K. and Greg H. run a tight ship.

Creative (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsBeing in the media/spoken word category

ConsNewark location is easy to access but forget about running any errands or even buying gum.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand the Amistadesque floor plans

Free Lunch and Beer Doesn't Cut It

Frontend Developer (Former Employee)

Pros[ Overall ]
    - Good culture, friendly people to work with.

Cons[ Overall ]
    - Friday's & Wednesday Lunch Menu sucks
    - No acknowledgement of self worth or accomplishment, others take credit for work they never did.
    - IT Help Desk need training on how to properly assigned logins, shouldn't be lock-out every week.
    - Lack of technology advancement ( mac are nice - but outdated hp windows labtops, u serious ? is this an amazon company, where are the kindles when u need one )
    - Unbalanced personal staffed ( too many designers vs coders, or too many strategist vs coders )
    - Not enough office furniture, people working in the hallways.
    - Very unorganized, period

[ Management ]
    - Sweatshop conditions
    - Lack of communication ( dept mgr is never present, mgr has own business during the day, what do expect, email goes out & 8 days later to respond, where are you ? nevermind, you are never around, etc. )
    - No announcement of new employee's joining the team, ( hello, were team players here ? )
    - No Scrum meeting, nothing.
    - No Leadership (absent or never present)

Advice to Senior Management- Fire managers who are absent from their team.
    - Remove "power" from wannabe managers ( their doing a dis-service to get ahead )

Worked for Audible? Contribute to the Community!