Audible Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
4.1

Audible Chairman and CEO Donald R. Katz
Donald R. Katz

Crazy smart people to work with until you get to top management

I have been working at Audible full-time for more than a year

Pros

- From entry-level to middle management, some of the smartest people I've ever worked with. Great environment to learn from peers and from direct managers. You will leave smarter, tougher, and prepared for any other job.
    - Opportunity to work on some cool projects (however some are duds).
    - Exciting work for a Type-A go-getter.
    - A lot of autonomy; employees are expected to own their projects and processes.
    - Accessible managers.
    - Dissent and "backbone" are highly valued. This can sometimes create a contentious atmosphere, but I personally think this is a Pro. You will not be dinged for speaking up to your manager. Others might feel uncomfortable in such a high intensity environment.
    - Fun culture, free food, beer, social events. Have made excellent work friends in the short time I've been here.

Neutral
    - Newark location. Hasn't been as bad as could be expected. 20 minute reverse-commute NJ Transit train gets you from midtown to Newark, and only have to walk one block from train to office. Free audiobooks for all full time employees helps w/ the commute.
    - Org structure is flat AND hierarchical AND political. Flat b/c of autonomy with loose reporting structure. However, most of your time will be spent on large projects chosen from those on high.

Cons

- Once personnel gets to VP and above level, I have not been impressed. A lot of old-schoolers who have not kept up with the pace of technology. Not everyone is a dud, but enough that it gets its own "Con." They often come up with dumb ideas that get sign off or take time to kill.
    - Compensation is not top level, but still fine.
    - A lot of focus on the next big ideas. Not enough focus on non-sexy low hanging fruit that could have huge revenue impacts. Very distracted by shiny objects.
    - Different groups are not structured the same way, so getting cross functional resources can often feel like Lord of the Flies.
    - Related, managers who are timid or complacent will not do well here. If you need structure, handholding or guidance, look elsewhere.

- Stop letting the dumbest people make the biggest decisions.
    - Do a better job of cutting the fat, especially at the top.

Strong company

I have been working at Audible full-time

Pros

It's a great product. It's meaningful, high quality content made available in some of the worlds finest apps. Your work matters
    You are part of one of the most innovative companies in the US
    Strong, solid and stable business
    Fast pace, strong work ethic, strong and open culture
    Some really smart people
    Very diverse crowd
    Good benefits & comp is OK
    Flexible and comfortable work environment
    Nice perks
    Customer care rocks: Audible has one of the worlds finest customer care teams, period.
    Small company feel while having the full power of Amazon in the back

Cons

Upwards mobility can be limited. Especially levels Director and higher have been filled by outside talent vs. building in paths for existing employees.
    Recruiting is a pain: it takes sooo much time away from people's day to day business, it's a real pain point.
    Employee recognition: some people go above and beyond and receive just a tap on the back and a 'thank you.' There should be more recognition, eg solid spot bonuses, etc. There are too few super talents that stick around, too many of them are leaving for facebook/google/etc.
    Innovation vs. excellence in basics: There's such a tremendous focus on innovation that some of the basics never get done right...
    Fire drill mentality is present in almost any company I've ever worked, but it feels like especially senior leadership is consumed mostly by fire drills here and it can be hard to get time.
    Location: An office in the city (NYC) would be a huge plus for employees commuting into Newark every day.
    Complexity: A lot of legacy code, structures and processes, especially due to many dependencies on Amazon policies/teams.

Address the cons

Great entrepreneurial culture with the stability of a large company

I have been working at Audible full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plethora of opportunities to innovate in tech, product or marketing
    Flat organization, not much hierarchy
    New digital product launches/Exciting new projects
    Amazon backing/stability
    Great package/Vibrant culture
    Employee friendly benefits - catered lunch, ping pong, gourmet snacks

Cons

I really cant think of one big one - minor ones: lack of widespread recognition, could use more time-off.

While I have no cons to share, I wish we instrumented more ways to recognize employees through shout-outs and non-monetary gifts for great performance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smart peers. Customer focused. Competitive pay.

Current Employee - Technology  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Technology in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Audible is a great company to work for. Smart peers (very high hiring bar ensures you get well-rounded people) who are driven and excited to be here. Very customer focused, with very active involvement by the founder and CEO (Don Katz). Great partnership with Amazon teams. Management gives good rein to be creative, encourages Thinking Big.
    Lot of potential to grow personally and professionally. Encourages to move around different roles.
    Great benefits (free food! games! massages! picnics! free Audiobooks!), great work atmosphere (loft style office, collaborative seating, hackathons, science fairs), great location (convenient for people living in NYC, JC, Hoboken, Hudson County, North/Central Jersey, etc.).

Cons

Audible has grown rapidly in the last 2 years and has some catch-up to do to execute with this excellent crop of people. Perennially short of seating space and meeting rooms. The drive to deliver great features to customers sometimes means you bring your work home, but managers are pretty flexible if you get the work done.

Pleasant, change does occur though at a snails pace

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time for more than a year

Pros

You own every contact. Rarely will you need to ask a lead out supervisor for assistance; conduct focus on customer satisfaction. Happy Hour Fridays and tickets to events throughout the year. Lunch every day and opportunities to show car your skill set.

Cons

Being customer care, you sometimes have to work those certain holidays, black Friday, day after Christmas, etc. After a year, Customer Care can become very repetitive. Need to switch it up or you can get complacent. Education is key, you really need to either have a degree or be close to finishing before you have a chance to work on projects. Like any job, need to learn how associate with higher ups.

Keep agents engaged, especially during the summer. The attendance policy could use a bit of tweaking and shift bids could also use a review.

Hard hiring process but worth it!

Current Employee - Customer Care Trainer
    Current Employee - Customer Care Trainer

I have been working at Audible full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really felt at home right from the beginning. Great team, great possibilities to contribute and take part in shaping the course of the company.
    Great benefits, too. Don't just got new colleagues but found friends, as well.

Cons

Really high work load and a lot of resposibility. Sometimes you get the feeling the company is not fully grown into it's market role and position as an amazon subsidary. It slowly get's there, though.

I'd love to see more resources put into a healthy growth so the foundation for future projects is there. Learn more from past mistakes.

Full time employment

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test II  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test II in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work with and great people.

Cons

leadership needs a change of perspective

make it a open work env and convey the major decisions to employees

Happy Audible Employee

I have been working at Audible full-time

Pros

I’m about 6 years into my career and Audible was the perfect next step for me. The potential to grow with the company is fantastic. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the projects that I have been able to work on and through them, I’ve had the opportunity to learn from some of the smartest people that I have had the pleasure of working with. I really enjoy the open work environment and collaborative culture. Each day is fast-paced and 100% engaging.

Cons

The commute to Newark from other areas in New Jersey and Manhattan isn't bad but a more reliable/safer shuttle service for those that use public transit would make it a much better experience.

Great leadership, great product, awesome people. Love it!!!

I have been working at Audible

Pros

Audible not only offers a great service that changes people's lives for the better, but we are leaders in the audiobook industry. Our visionary founder Don Katz still lives and breathes Audible, right here at our Newark office. He is the Steve Jobs of audiobooks and I am honored everyday to work under his leadership.
    It's a fun, creative, laid back, yet challenging environment where you have the opportunity to make a difference everyday. Great people - love everyone I work with. It's fun coming to work every single day!

Cons

Too many smart people who have strong opinions sometimes lead to miscommunication

We're all in this together, let's appreciate each department and functional area for what they do best, and give credit where credit is due.

focused on the customer

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Audible full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are great, peers are highly technical and customers love the product. Creative thinking is expected and rewarded. Customer comes first.

Cons

Happiness depends a lot on what team you join. Meet the people and manager to make sure its a good fit. Work is not always technically challenging.

As you raise the technical bar, you have to raise the level of technical challenge too.

Worked for Audible? Contribute to the Community!