Audible Reviews

Reset
4.0
Audible Chairman and CEO Donald R. Katz
Donald R. Katz

Pros
  • Free lunch and snacks available daily (in 12 reviews)

• free food, amazon company, no need to commute to nyc if you live in new jersey (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Extreme lack of transparency and unfulfilled promises (in 3 reviews)

• You will take your work home with you (in 4 reviews)

Great experience, drinking from the fire hose

Pros

Flexible environment. Fast paced. Very easy to have a huge impact. Great culture. There's always some fun non-work related activity going on. Beer every Friday. Lunch every day. Ping Pong, Basketball, Softball, ultimate frisbee. Just a great place to work.

Cons

I don't think this is a con but you gotta be on your game. Definitely not for everyone but for the right person you will thrive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Best job I've had in more than a decade

I have been working at Audible full-time

Pros

- Growing, profitable company with smart, driven people means a very healthy culture. - Physical space (lots of natural light, open floor plan, etc.) contributes to that healthy culture. - Genuine interest across the organization in new/better ideas. - Relatively non-heirarchical - Egos are rarely a part of the decision-making process. Very logic/data-driven. - Free lunches, ping pong tables, etc. encourage interpersonal bonds. - Free audio books

Cons

- Shades of not seeing the forest for the trees (although they know this, and want to change) - Rapid growth means that there are some communication challenges (different corners of the org working on similar things)

Place filled with intelligent and happy employees

I have been working at Audible full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Positive energy - No Micro management - Very helpful people around (specially HR, amazing diversity in the HR - like the fact there is no preference in race or color) - All immigration work was done smoothly by HR - Enjoyed the first day tour of the office (Very well done by Mike) - Free Lunches and healthy snacks - Starbucks on the house - Keep introducing varieties of healthy snack options

Cons

Parking and complimentary shuttle - both are not in the best of shape.

Advice to Management

Every staff in Management have gray hair - Give the youngsters a break. Some management staff have no hair :)

Never a dull moment - in a good way!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Lifestyle product - Collaborative and entrepreneurial culture - Built off best-in-class Amazon services - Impactful work - Free food (which can also be a con) - AMZN stock - Day 1 in terms of growth potential

Cons

- Commute if you live in NYC - Promotions take time - Limited veg food options - Forecasting and goal setting process is time consuming - Space

Advice to Management

Onward...

Amazing culture, great talent, life improving product...

I have been working at Audible full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is great, balancing the unique culture (and mission) of Audible, with the technology and process capabilities of Amazon. Open work environment, minimal bureaucracy, free lunch, snacks and drinks, really smart people - wherever you turn.

Cons

High hiring bar, constant focus on delivering results, and an emphasis on putting listeners (customers) means that it might not be the right company for everyone.

Audible Defined

Current Employee - Human Resources in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, Great team environment, recognition of hard work, fun, the ability to grow your career, clearly defined goals and objectives. Free lunch, snacks, coffee, and drinks.

Cons

My con would also be my advice to management. Please see below.

Advice to Management

I believe there have been comments on transparency. I feel that the problem is partial transparency which leads to speculation and assumptions. There should be no grey area. Either your transparent or confidential.

Great leadership, great product, awesome people. Love it!!!

Pros

Audible not only offers a great service that changes people's lives for the better, but we are leaders in the audiobook industry. Our visionary founder Don Katz still lives and breathes Audible, right here at our Newark office. He is the Steve Jobs of audiobooks and I am honored everyday to work under his leadership. It's a fun, creative, laid back, yet challenging environment where you have the opportunity to make a difference everyday. Great people - love everyone I work with. It's fun coming to work every single day!

Cons

Too many smart people who have strong opinions sometimes lead to miscommunication

Advice to Management

We're all in this together, let's appreciate each department and functional area for what they do best, and give credit where credit is due.

Happy Audible Employee

I have been working at Audible full-time

Pros

I’m about 6 years into my career and Audible was the perfect next step for me. The potential to grow with the company is fantastic. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the projects that I have been able to work on and through them, I’ve had the opportunity to learn from some of the smartest people that I have had the pleasure of working with. I really enjoy the open work environment and collaborative culture. Each day is fast-paced and 100% engaging.

Cons

The commute to Newark from other areas in New Jersey and Manhattan isn't bad but a more reliable/safer shuttle service for those that use public transit would make it a much better experience.

Hard hiring process but worth it!

Current Employee - Customer Care Trainer
    Current Employee - Customer Care Trainer

I have been working at Audible full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really felt at home right from the beginning. Great team, great possibilities to contribute and take part in shaping the course of the company. Great benefits, too. Don't just got new colleagues but found friends, as well.

Cons

Really high work load and a lot of resposibility. Sometimes you get the feeling the company is not fully grown into it's market role and position as an amazon subsidary. It slowly get's there, though.

Advice to Management

I'd love to see more resources put into a healthy growth so the foundation for future projects is there. Learn more from past mistakes.

Smart peers. Customer focused. Competitive pay.

Current Employee - Technology in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Technology in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Audible is a great company to work for. Smart peers (very high hiring bar ensures you get well-rounded people) who are driven and excited to be here. Very customer focused, with very active involvement by the founder and CEO (Don Katz). Great partnership with Amazon teams. Management gives good rein to be creative, encourages Thinking Big. Lot of potential to grow personally and professionally. Encourages to move around different roles. Great benefits (free food! games! massages! picnics! free Audiobooks!), great work atmosphere (loft style office, collaborative seating, hackathons, science fairs), great location (convenient for people living in NYC, JC, Hoboken, Hudson County, North/Central Jersey, etc.).

Cons

Audible has grown rapidly in the last 2 years and has some catch-up to do to execute with this excellent crop of people. Perennially short of seating space and meeting rooms. The drive to deliver great features to customers sometimes means you bring your work home, but managers are pretty flexible if you get the work done.

RSS Feed </> Embed