Audible

Audible Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Audible Chairman and CEO Donald R. Katz

Donald R. Katz

Amazing culture, great talent, life improving product...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsThe culture is great, balancing the unique culture (and mission) of Audible, with the technology and process capabilities of Amazon. Open work environment, minimal bureaucracy, free lunch, snacks and drinks, really smart people - wherever you turn.

ConsHigh hiring bar, constant focus on delivering results, and an emphasis on putting listeners (customers) means that it might not be the right company for everyone.

Never a dull moment - in a good way!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

Pros- Lifestyle product
    - Collaborative and entrepreneurial culture
    - Built off best-in-class Amazon services
    - Impactful work
    - Free food (which can also be a con)
    - AMZN stock
    - Day 1 in terms of growth potential

Cons- Commute if you live in NYC
    - Promotions take time
    - Limited veg food options
    - Forecasting and goal setting process is time consuming
    - Space

Advice to Senior ManagementOnward...

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Place filled with intelligent and happy employees

Pros- Positive energy
    - No Micro management
    - Very helpful people around (specially HR, amazing diversity in the HR - like the fact there is no preference in race or color)
    - All immigration work was done smoothly by HR
    - Enjoyed the first day tour of the office (Very well done by Mike)
    - Free Lunches and healthy snacks
    - Starbucks on the house
    - Keep introducing varieties of healthy snack options

ConsParking and complimentary shuttle - both are not in the best of shape.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery staff in Management have gray hair - Give the youngsters a break.
    Some management staff have no hair :)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful atmosphere to work in.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsGreat employees and casual but professional environment to work in.

ConsCan take time for some requests to go through.

Best job I've had in more than a decade

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

Pros- Growing, profitable company with smart, driven people means a very healthy culture.
    - Physical space (lots of natural light, open floor plan, etc.) contributes to that healthy culture.
    - Genuine interest across the organization in new/better ideas.
    - Relatively non-heirarchical
    - Egos are rarely a part of the decision-making process. Very logic/data-driven.
    - Free lunches, ping pong tables, etc. encourage interpersonal bonds.
    - Free audio books

Cons- Shades of not seeing the forest for the trees (although they know this, and want to change)
    - Rapid growth means that there are some communication challenges (different corners of the org working on similar things)

Great experience, drinking from the fire hose

ProsFlexible environment. Fast paced. Very easy to have a huge impact. Great culture. There's always some fun non-work related activity going on. Beer every Friday. Lunch every day. Ping Pong, Basketball, Softball, ultimate frisbee. Just a great place to work.

ConsI don't think this is a con but you gotta be on your game. Definitely not for everyone but for the right person you will thrive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Really Great Place to Work

Software Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsThe culture here is great!

ConsSome jobs are only contracted.

Great Talent Pool limited by horrible politics

Manager (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsSome of the smartest people to work with
    Amazon tools and infrastructure makes software development very easy
    Great people, good perks including free food, ping pong and average health benefits

ConsPolitics, politics, politics - VPs constantly fighting each other, whether it be for head count or just trying to outshine each other.

Horrible hiring of leadership - As great as the company is at hiring top individual contributor talent, its just as bad at hiring leadership (director and above). As such, while some employees love the leadership they report to, there is a huge chunk of people that absolutely hate how clueless the leadership is, especially when it comes to technology or even managing talented people.

Employee Churn - Directly related to the above two cons

Hiring Process - While they have taken on the Amazon bar raiser program and as a result, brought on some really talented engineers, there is really a lack of difficult problems to solve. Audible's approach to growing as a company is limited to minimal innovation in their core product and more of jumping on as many amazon platforms/devices as they can to try to expose themselves to amazon customers. As such, there is a lot of innovation happening at Amazon but very little at Audible. Think of amazon soaking their feat in everything, from hardware to software to services. Audible is still very much an audiobook seller.

Lack of transparency - Lots of decisions being taken my leadership behind closed doors without any explanation to engineers. There are days you see employees just disappear later to find out they were fired.

NEWARK NEWARK NEWARK! One of the top crime cities in the country. The CEO is sold on being in Newark and this is definitely making hiring harder and harder for recruiters. He seems to be the only one that loves Newark and is clueless that the rest of the people that work there hate coming to Newark.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk yourself the following -
    1. Are you challenging your top talent enough
    2. Are you taking Amazon's confrontational culture to a whole different dark side by constantly trying to one-up each other?
    3. Reevaluate your hiring of top level leaders. If you are seeing high employee churn in their groups, maybe you are better off getting rid of that VP/SVP.

From a contractor's point of view...

Contractor (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsGreat culture and overall atmosphere

Free lunch which is great but I will agree that Wednesdays and Fridays do suck but at the same time… nobody is forcing us to eat the lunch and did I mention… It’s FREE!
    Wednesdays are create your own sandwich and Friday is Salads. I am a Carnivore!

Great Flexibility. Work from home when I need to. There is no hard time as to when you should be at work and you’re not trapped at your desk when it’s time to leave.

Most contractors do get converted fulltime if they want to.

I can truly say that we work hard here but also have fun.

This is a company and product that you want to stand behind and love to work for.

I love the open design and nobody has an office. You never get the feeling that someone is above you.

Great Pay!

Great view of NYC!

ConsMy only con from a contractor’s perspective is the parking situation. They won’t allow you to buy a parking pass for the lot right in front of the building. You can pay per day which is a hassle because I never carry cash on me. I ended up getting a parking lot around the corner which is about a 5 minute walk in a covered garage for the same price.

Advice to Senior ManagementI approve of the job senior management is doing. If I were to dig for a critique it would be to be more open with changes going on in the organization up front so we can plan accordingly. Especially positive changes.

Very positive experience. Lauren K. and Greg H. run a tight ship.

Creative (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsBeing in the media/spoken word category

ConsNewark location is easy to access but forget about running any errands or even buying gum.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand the Amistadesque floor plans

Worked for Audible? Contribute to the Community!