Audible

Updated January 16, 2015
4.1

Audible Chairman and CEO Donald R. Katz
Donald R. Katz

Pros
  • The free lunch and healthy snacks are a great plus (in 12 reviews)

• Great people, good perks including free food, ping pong and average health benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency - Lots of decisions being taken my leadership behind closed doors without any explanation to engineers (in 3 reviews)

• Though some people leave at 5, everyone brings their work home with them at night and on the weekends (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Years and counting

Current Employee - Product Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

So I have been an Audible employee since 2010 and have personally watched this company grow to the dominant force that it is today. Audible truly takes care of their employees as well as it's customers. I started my career in the Customer Service department and moved up several steps from there. This is truly a company where you can grow, be trained, and become a master of your craft.

Cons

It would be hard to say anything bad about this company today. We are truly at a place where I can say to anyone that wanted to join that this is an awesome place to be.

Keep listening to your employees and keep growing the company organically and never lose sight of what it is that has made this company special.

Smart colleagues, compelling technology, excellent team environment, free food, work hard culture

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am amazed at the level of talent at Audible. I learn new things from colleagues every day.

The company is very generous with respect to free lunches, nice company hosted events, supporting travel for training events and team meetings, offering plenty of training opportunities to employees.

I have flexibility in terms of my hours. Getting my work done and doing it well is what counts most.

Audible has a distinct culture from Amazon. There's an emphasis on being aggressive and excellent, and also a bias for being social conscious and having a lasting and positive impact in people's lives.

Cons

Audible offers Amazon's benefits and 401k plan. In my humble opinion, these are not as good as those provided by other tech companies.

The following are not cons, rather things you should be aware of if you want to join the Audible team:

You are expected to help with hiring, and that could take up, depending on your role, a significant chunk of your time during the day.

The environment is fast paced and you rub shoulders against ambitious individuals. You need to actively manage your career in order to thrive, and ask yourself every day if you are raising the bar.

Customer Service

Current Employee - Intern in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Intern in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible

Pros

People are very understanding & cooperative. Everyone is friendly and very welcoming. Every get-together is highly entertaining

Cons

I do not see anything wrong with this company at all.

Keep doing what you're doing

Amazing Job !

Current Employee - Social Media in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Social Media in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people that work here are so friendly and the food is great. There are also lots of opportunities for fun such as the ping pong station, happy hour Thursdays, NJPAC shows, and holiday parties!

Cons

The salad gets tiring after a while, but when the food changes up, it is really good !

It's difficult to get close to people who are outside of your team or immediate group. It would be helpful if there were more opportunities to interact with people outside of you team.

One in a lifetime opportunity!

Current Employee - Intern In Marketing Department in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Intern In Marketing Department in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy the open space and how friendly everyone is, including Don Katz. My manager has been really helpful and has taught me a lot about how to write an email and be really organized. It has been a privilege meeting such great people like my manager,supervisor, and my team.

Cons

The office culture is good but I feel like the atmosphere can be kind of awkward. Unless they are members of my team, I don't really go beyond acquaintances with my "desk-neighbor" the way I wish I did.

Avery is the best !

Intern

I have been working at Audible

Pros

They help you learn more things about the work environment and challenge your mind and my manager is awesome.

Cons

They expect perfection which is hard work and overbearing but something I always agree with because 100% of time I can achieve that.

One of the Best Employer to work for in Boston Area

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer (Test)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer (Test)

I have been working at Audible full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free Food
    Very good work environment
    Friendly management
    Ideas are encouraged hence lots of opportunity to grow.
    Free Audiobooks for life

Cons

It is really challenging when you have to order hardware . Lots of approvals are required.

Doing great Job! I am really impressed by leadership team @ audible

Fun Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Audible

Pros

Audible has a great culture. Everyone interacts well with each other and people have a true collaborative attitude. I enjoy the fast paced environment. Schedules are pretty flexible and employees can work from home if necessary. Free lunch is great for full time employees.

Cons

Projects can take awhile to be completed- many steps have to take place before something can "get done".
    Contractors may feel left out and not part of the collaborative spirit at times. There can be a disconnect between Audible offices at times.

Innovative Place to Learn and Create

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Audible full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My time at Audible has far exceeded my expectations. There is a tremendous exposure to innovative technology (and the Amazon infrastructure) and almost any type of software you can imagine. My team is given complete ownership of our projects and due to the company "flatness", I feel my work is making a very large impact on the business. EVERY person I've worked with within Audible has had a lot to offer and been a complete pleasure . It is a growing community of which I am proud to be part.

Cons

The technology can be a little intimidating at first. Although driving to the office is a possibility, it probably wouldn't be fun. The good news is it's right on the red line so it's actually GREAT for those of us who take the red line.

Overall great

I have been working at Audible

Pros

snacks, amazing people, good company culture

Cons

tedious work, sometimes long hours in finance department