Audible Reviews

Reset
4.2
Audible Chairman and CEO Donald R. Katz
Donald R. Katz

Pros
  • Free lunch and snacks available daily (in 12 reviews)

• free food, amazon company, no need to commute to nyc if you live in new jersey (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Extreme lack of transparency and unfulfilled promises (in 3 reviews)

• You will take your work home with you (in 4 reviews)

1. Fantastic leadership, doing something transformative, needs more exceptional technology resources to help deliver.

Current Employee - Senior Director User Experience in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Director User Experience in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great vision. Feels good to be part of something meaningful, not an everyday 'x meets y' startup or a legacy company trying to appear innovative. With the Amazon stack, great people and a growing business, you'll have a difficult time finding a bigger challenge.

Cons

The lack of a presence/office in NYC is straining the recruiting effort in various teams. It's difficult to get great ideas to the customer.

Advice to Management

Stay committed to Newark and consider more satellite offices.

2. poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Astoria, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Astoria, NY

I have been working at Audible full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a catering service prepare a free lunch buffet on a daily basis. Employees can purchase free audiobooks from the company site. Bonuses are paid in amazon stock.

Cons

High turnover. Little chance for advancement. No training is offered. Little to no supervision by management, which can lead to miscommunication/misunderstandings later on.

Happily employed, but with a few reservations.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team is filled with great talented people. Most of the others are rock solid coworkers, with varying skills and backgrounds.

The work life balance is pretty good, with the vast majority of my working days being 8-9 hours.

Cons

Senior Management has some weaknesses and blind spots.

There are also some issues with the date-driven culture and how that affects the quality of delivery.

Okay, but searching for its identity

I have been working at Audible full-time

Pros

Amazon backing and new senior leadership on the product and tech sides looking to inject energy into a culture that has become stale.

Cons

Audible is trying desperately to figure out who it wants to be when it grows up. It takes advantage of Amazon technology, but the engineering culture is a far cry from that found at the mother ship. Overall, senior leadership doesn't embrace Amazon which leaves employees in an interesting position. We like to say we are part of amazon, but leadership doesn't want any part of amazon. There are folks there that have passion and drive, but ultimately the company hasn't delivered true innovation in far too long.

Advice to Management

Focus on culture. its important.

6. Contribute to Newark 3.0!

Current Employee - Community Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, great opportunities, laid back atmosphere, free catered lunch and breakfast, Friday Happy Hours, sports, clubs, gorgeous views of Newark, Jersey City and NYC skylines

Cons

I have no cons for Audible.

HR Generalist

I have been working at Audible full-time

Pros

Amazing Culture!
    Free catered food every day!
    Fantastic perks (free parking, audible account, discounts to name a few)!
    Very bright people, open work environment.

Cons

Booking conference rooms at a moment's notice (however if you can plan ahead, no issue at all).

iOS life...

Former Employee - IOS Engineer in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - IOS Engineer in Newark, NJ

I worked at Audible full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Let me begin by saying that as an SDE at Audible, you are very well respected in your role. I worked on the iOS team there and I have nothing but great things to say about the team. They literally have some of the smartest most innovative people there with a culture and a tradition of greatness. There was nothing better than going to work and being challenged everyday as an engineer. The company was very flexible with m schedule and let me work from home when I needed to which are some good perks but there is nothing like rolling your sleeves up with your team day in and day out to come to a solution.

Cons

So I left Audible on great terms and it was purely a financial decision. That is not to say that Audible doesn't pay well but someone offered me something that I could not refuse.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great engineers and developing them. Don't be afraid to hire a junior candidate that have great potential. Audible does a great job of shaping and molding young minds.

9. Recruiting Coordinator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible

Pros

- Amazing/great product
    - Really bright people passionate about what they do
    - Team environment
    - Free catered lunch
    - Great work/life balance (no formal work-from-home policy but it can be done from time to time)
    - Free shuttle to Newark Penn

It is amazing to be able to work with such a dedicated team that encourages and promotes growth from within. If you have an idea for a project, get the right people in the room, discuss it, decide who will own what, and execute.

In the end of the day, one of the most gratifying things is to be behind the scenes and see all the hard work and the people involved to make such [a] great product(s).

Cons

Required section. I guess that it is not located in Newark Penn but the shuttle only takes 5 minutes so it's not really a "con".

Advice to Management

Continue unleashing the power of the spoken word!

Lots of employee turnover but an awesome place to be

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II

I have been working at Audible full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A product focused company that makes engineering central to the company. You are treated as a first class citizen and get all the benefits of working with Amazon tech. You also work with lots of really bright engineers and designers from all over audible and Amazon everyday.

Cons

Lots of employee turnover. People stay on average of 1-4 years. Most of the blame falls squarely on product management. They will have you work on products that will never launch and keep changing their minds even at the last second. Products also don't innovate fast enough due to ineffective planning at the vp level and higher.

Great talent/potential. Terrible middle management. Cronyism gone haywire. Stifling ground for cutting edge work.

Former Employee - Creative
    Former Employee - Creative

I worked at Audible

Pros

Employee perks (catered food, relaxed environment, pingpong tables), and smart people with diverse talent in tech. Almost anything a startup or tech company could wish for, despite the Cons.

Cons

Emotional middle managers with big egos make hiring and firing decisions based on: personal likes/dislikes, to make themselves look good, and to promote self-interests/political strategy and protection. Advancement isn't based on talent or company core needs. Contrary to Amazon principles, new ideas aren't met with open arms....the owners of new ideas are told to shut their mouths and do exactly as they are told (even if it's incorrect, ineffective, or inefficient). There was one employee with very limited experience (that was well liked by two managers) that was chosen to do a project over individuals with advanced experience that were hired to do the job. The lack of knowledge and conceptual understanding showed. In another case, in a group meeting, I was asked and remembered telling a team what was wrong with their idea. It fell on deaf ears. Two weeks later someone from the team brought up my idea -- I had to filter it through them in a 1:1 meeting -- and it was accepted unanimously by the entire team because it made the most logical sense. That's how things got done around there.

Advice to Management

Observe your middle managers and chain of command to see how people treat their subordinates when no one is looking. Check their motives--whether personal and egotistical or best interest of company. Some of them are very good at pleasing senior management and hanging onto their every word so you might not immediately see their lack. If you observe them closely you'll also notice that some of them enjoy spending most of their time playing politics -- working hard most of the day towards advancing their own personal hire/fire agendas, and then doing the work of intellectual rigor with whatever time is left in the day. Many subordinate employees agree across the board but stay quiet because the company perks are so good. In the end, the company wastes because it doesn't get the full potential of it's talented work force. HR works very hard to recruit very top talent in the tri-state area (which is hard to find). Middle managers with inflated egos and wrong motives then drain that workforce talent by pushing political gain. It's one reason so few people stick around for long.

RSS Feed </> Embed