Audible

Updated November 14, 2014
4.0

Audible Chairman and CEO Donald R. Katz
Donald R. Katz

Pros
  • The free lunch and healthy snacks are a great plus (in 12 reviews)

• Great people, good perks including free food, ping pong and average health benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency - Lots of decisions being taken my leadership behind closed doors without any explanation to engineers (in 3 reviews)

• Though some people leave at 5, everyone brings their work home with them at night and on the weekends (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Audible wishes it was as tech-savvy as its parent company.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer (Test) in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer (Test) in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon (in name only).
    Daily catered lunch. It's often lacking in nutritious value and in variety.
    Some brilliant co-workers. They tend to leave quickly, though.
    The customer service department is absolutely incredible. They are likely the only high-performing, low-churn department in the company. It's too bad they're treated terribly by the rest of us.

Cons

Middle/senior management is woefully inconsiderate of current tech trends.
    Getting anything done is an impossible nightmare. There's not just the typical bureaucracy to overcome; you've also got to deal with the fact that few developers, product managers, pencil-pushers, and engineers alike actually UNDERSTAND the product.
    Very little career development support.
    Audible's administration is often at odds with official Amazon administration, which has made me need to fight tooth and nail for the benefits and rewards I've earned.
    When major changes come to tax, benefit, and RSU policies, there's hardly any communication or support.
    Compensation is absolutely pathetic given that Audible advertises its "close proximity" to NYC. Raises are impossible to achieve beyond the meager 1% "cost of living" increases, which are far below today's rate of inflation.
    RSUs used to pad those pathetic wages. Amazon's stock price always plummets during the typical employee RSU vesting periods. (HMMMMM!)
    We spend half the year on Audible's dumbed down, idiotic version of the OP1 process and then follow almost none of the actual things decided on during those discussions.
    Newark - this city is a disgusting wasteland. Nobody should ever have to commute to there from NYC. New Jersey Transit is less effective than the MTA - that's really saying something.
    The company has not dealt with their enormous expansion efforts very well.

You need to pay your people better. Stop memorizing dumb biz lingo that has no real-world application and start employing people who understand the spoken word audio industry. This business has so far it can climb but Audible has squandered its incredible monopolization by retaining a 'business as usual' philosophy.

Don's incredible vision isn't going to see its way to fruition if you people can't all agree on one execution strategy.

Amazing Work Culture and Learning Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Audible has a world class combination of Smart and Caring individuals, with a common goal, that easily defines us as one big family. There are employees with differences in leadership skills, as well as comradary, which only helps every employee to get better at what they do, or want to do in the future. I personally have learned alot and am still learning every day, which makes coming to work just the more exciting.

Cons

The easy going, casual work culture can be taken advantage of, by employees who are not motivated by their work and our product goal as well as their career ambitions. But if thats the case, then the employee will only be shooting themselves in the foot.

Keep up the start up Audible culture that brought us this far. Don't become a huge corporation. It's the humane feeling and attitude that makes Audible, who we are today. If we lose that, we lose the core essence of Audible.com.

Pretty cool place to work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Audible as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There are many good benefits for working with Audible. In addition to paying for my housing (I interned there), they gave me $15 a day to order lunch on seamless.com, as well as free audiobooks for life. The people there are extremely fun to be around and have a strong work ethic.

Cons

I worked on Android development there and their codebase seemed to be a mess although they were in the process of cleaning it up. There's no real downsides of working at Audible.

Love the culture. Dislike the growth opportunities and politics.

Current Employee - Design in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Design in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

• Majority of personnel are very friendly and helpful, with very few egos.
    • Culture, atmosphere and perks are fantastic. (Catered lunches, comp accounts, snacks, and company activities)
    • Variety of projects to work on and contribute towards.

Cons

• Growth opportunities are quite limited for the majority of mid-level personnel.
    • Politics and personal agendas of team managers at times can limit motivation, and spawn distrust.
    • Turnover rate for director level and higher are fairly high, leading to constant flow of new directors and new processes which leave mid-level talent stagnant.

• Promote from within.
    • Managers and directors need to be more closely scrutinized, not only by senior management
    • Members of teams should be given opportunity to give thorough and honest review of manager.

Had a great time with the company, I found them to be passionate and committed to what they were trying to achieve.

I worked at Audible full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best thing about the company are the people, who seem to care about what they deliver and each other. I had the pleasure of helping to build and shape the culture of the organisation, not just in the UK but overseas as well.

Cons

As the company grows the management need to be mindful of the shift in culture that comes from bringing in new people.

I would suggest that management ensure that they continue communicate with the staff old and new as to the changes and successes achieved.

Found a home!!!

I have been working at Audible

Pros

Culture is a HUGE pros! Perks are amazing! Comp account for life is the best perk!

Cons

Weight gain due to free food all day! Office politics! High work load! Need more structured way of working!

For retention reasons please look into work - life balance.

Great experience for a contractor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I came to Audible for a short term assignment that fortunately was extended a little longer. No stuffed shirts here! What a relief not to have to worry about dressing to the nines to impress your peers when it has nothing to do with your job. While you can dress up, it's more the norm to wear jeans and sneakers. Not to say that the folks here are slackers, quite the opposite. I was expected to hit the ground running and for the most part was able to do just that. Once my project was in full swing, I was given freedom to run with it. Managers provide guidance but no one is micromanaging or breathing down my neck.
    The free lunch and healthy snacks are a great plus. The informality of it all seems to breed more creativity.

Cons

If you are looking for a traditional office setting and/or you aren't a fan of city driving or taking the train to Newark, this might not be the place for you.

Love my job and the People.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Amazing culture
    - Free Food
    - Free Gym
    - Work with very smart people
    - Cool Projects
    - True ownership of your work
    - Happy hour Fridays
    - Ping Pong (I am the best)
    - Audible Sports teams.
    - Very approachable CEO and Senior leadership
    - Very Flexible work schedule
    - Growth opportunities

Cons

- My only con has to do with contractors. I wish there was a clear plan put in place with our contractors as to our intentions with them. I hate to see people in limbo especially when it comes to their career. We can do better here.

Listen to your employees. They are the ones that you work for.

Very friendly

I have been working at Audible full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been working at Audible for just about two years. It has an excellent work environment allows you to worry about just projects you're tasked with. The opportunity for growth is significant as we're expanding quickly as a brand. The efficient processes within the company give the office a very relaxed feel and provides a very natural balance between your work and your life out of the office. We also have some great benefits.

Cons

Solutions to customer interfaces good be solved a bit quick but that's really nit picking.

Keep allowing workers to make a serious impact in the direction we're headed. I'm excited about what we can do in the future.

Working at Audible.com is an amazing experience.

Current Employee - Lead in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Lead in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office culture is enviable, and not just because there are ping pong tales in the kitchen or because they provide us with catered food every day. They also provide plenty of growth opportunities along with great benefits.

Cons

Usual corporate challenges and office politics, nothing out of the norm. I feel like there is sometimes a disconnect between upper management and the people under them. Or that sometimes some departments may lack cohesiveness even though they have similar goals.

More PTO would be amazing.