AudienceView

Updated December 28, 2014
Updated December 28, 2014
2.9

Kevin Kimsa

Great people and great product

I have been working at AudienceView full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As many in the past have noted the people here are great. I thoroughly enjoy everyone I work with. There has also been quite a bit of change over the past year internally at the senior management level which has lead to increased efficiency that are helping customers and employees. Additionally, there is now more of a focus on improving morale, which had been lacking in the past.

Cons

Communication has been an issue in the past, but is improving. It's definitely not where it should be. For a remote, US employee the benefits are not that great. No retirement plan and health care could be better.

Continue the changes, they are being noticed.
    Open up the communication.
    Force more regular reviews.
    Reward employees for their hard work.

Bold Changes Ahead

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at AudienceView full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, management actively engaged in office culture and employee feedback, not afraid to pursue new technologies and methodolodies.
    Challenging work environment, results-driven, but fair and flexibile work-life balance

Cons

They're trying, but it's a startup culture struggling to scale organization to the next level

maintain progressive initiatives with employee culture and communication, and organizational growth

Slowly moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at AudienceView full-time

Pros

People are great, very friendly, approachable, eager to help. Variety of clients, some very high profile. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Too many useless meetings, change happens slowly, software is built on an archaic platform and is not user friendly.

More communication to all employees regarding the future software development plans, as well as new features available when new versions of the software are released would help everyone.

AudienceView, good people who need management appreciation

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at AudienceView full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay and some good people at lower levels. Enjoyable social events when they happen. Good product but not quite as good as sold.

Cons

Confused Management structure resulting in too much politics and no decision making! Staff care is minimal, no employee review in the 3+ years for me isn't acceptable. Product overpriced for the market. High employee turnover in an industry which requires stability.

Empower and listen to staff. Create a staff structure where experienced members of staff are not bypassed by those just saying the right things.

A Good Place to work

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at AudienceView full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Audience view definitely has a work-life balance. Great co-workers, really appreciate it. good place to work for a family member where you do not get to a point to stress out yourself at all. as most of the work places we need to work little more towards the release times, but do get balance it out for sure. There is always something new you learn which definitely a benefit towards a career growth. I will recommend Audience view to my friends.

Cons

Need to improve more on time management for the projects and product releases, Need to do more on employee training sessions.

Jumped the Shark a long time ago

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at AudienceView

Pros

When I started there years ago, you could feel you were building something special. It was a lot of hard work, long nights, but the people were awesome to work with. We were all looking at taking AV to the next level. Lots of disagreements but there was mutual respect. I learned a lot of valuable things and it was a hugely rewarding experience. No one asked me to work more or harder - I just did because I believed in what we were doing!
    All that changed very quickly (for numerous reasons) and with it, everything tanked. Morale, motivation, innovation and the culture of collaboration.
    Upper management became selfish, there was no team cohesion and the main core team carried what was left of the company in the hopes it would all turn around. But the culture of conflict, in fighting, lack of listening, and lack of direction was hard to fight.

Cons

In my later years, AV turned into a political nightmare with zero cohesion. It was such a poisonous environment. It literally made good people choose between sticking to their morals and getting eaten alive, or play the game and change as a person for the worse. It turned into making units of the company successful rather than the company itself. Only a handful of people in the wrong positions killed momentum and collaboration. It was sickening. It was impossible to go above and beyond when you didn't feel respected - but you were told you had to.
    Seeing all the good stuff evaporate sucked. People were unhappy, they felt unempowered, micromanaged and constantly changing gears. The real solutions laid outside of the brass and in the folks who been there through the ups and downs - but no one was listening. Everyone who were at the core of AV slowly left - and that was the heart and soul of the organization. The ones that remained will see it through because they are dedicated, yet so under appreciated. I still think the best people I have ever worked with was at AV. Too bad management used and abused their greatest asset.

Your people are your greatest assets. Treat each of them like its a privilege for you to have them work for you.

Not a good place

I have been working at AudienceView full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting reading recent positive posts from other current employees. Seems to me the one posted May 6 was written by upper management trying to get a better rating. Are they trying to make positive changes? If positive changes means continuously changing product direction, still demanding the same output even though they have fired almost half the staff in the last 2 years. Don't drink the Kool-aid and move along. There's nothing positive here.

Cons

Overworked and not compensated. Cake and bagels don't cut it.
    You think they fired upwards of 40+% of the staff because they are doing well? Its a ghost town with rows and rows of empty desks.

What can you say to them when all they are worried about is the fat bonuses they give themselves whil everyone else has had a salary freeze for the last 4 years.

Hard work but enjoyable

I have been working at AudienceView full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with some very talented colleagues is a huge buzz. Having a product that is growing in the right direction and is getting better and better is a real driver for not just myself but for customers too. The management have clearly spent a lot of time changing the way the company operates:

We now have a very encouraging subscription payment model
    We have clear goals and objectives for the company going forward
    Departmental operational routines are being fine tuned
    The company is on a sound financial footing

In addition, being able to help drive the product and processes is a real benefit.

Cons

Communication can be a challenge, especially when you work remotely. I'd suggest that the company needs to ensure that regular company get togethers (Town Halls) are scheduled in everyone's diaries once a quarter and these are adhered to.

Ensure the Townhalls are a regular, diarised feature. Communication is getting better, but not as quick as it could be.

Getting better all the time

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at AudienceView full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Downtown location, easy access via TTC or to food on King St W & Queen St W.
    Some very clever people in the office to learn from.
    Interesting work with a variety of languages & frameworks (c++, boost, java, jsp, asp, jquery, etc).
    Performance reviews have recently been introduced.
    Performance related bonus up for grabs each quarter.

Cons

As with most development jobs, there's always too much to do and never enough time to do it. This can involve late nights at crunch time.
    Direction seems to switch more than it should, and there's often a push to develop new work under very tight timelines without enough time spent up front on design.

Continue with performance reviews, maybe even make them more frequent. Raises and perks such as RRSP would be nice too. Provide targets on what's needed to attain bonus.
    Pick a direction and stick with it - not say "this is important" then decide a few weeks (or days!) later something else is.
    Plan, and allow your employees to plan. Too much work is being done without time to fully analyse requirements or write specs, and too often a feature comes in that "we need by the end of this sprint"
    Assign dedicated scrum masters with the power to reject work from being added to current sprints, the SM should never be the PM! Sprints should also reflect planned work, not be 100 items that we do not have time to do!

Don't Be Fooled

I worked at AudienceView full-time

Pros

The best thing they had, their people, too bad they've laid off close to half since 2012. This in turn has led to many more simply quitting.
    Other good things, sure if you count bagel Wednesdays, and cake day.
    Don't be fooled in the interview. They come off as a well oiled machine and will make promises that are not true.

Cons

Zero work life balance. Expected to work like crazy with no compensation. They laid off so many people but expected the already over worked people to do more.
    Very poor direction from Sr. Management and no focus. Always jumping around starting one project and then flipping to another. This has led to very poor products being released and very unhappy customers.

No point giving advice to people who don't have the knowledge or skill set to be there in those positions in the first place.