Audubon Engineering

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014
3.7

Lee Beckett, P.E.

Work hard, work smart and get responsibility fast!

Former Employee - Administrative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative in Houston, TX

I worked at Audubon Engineering as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management offers opportunities to grow ... engineers encouraged to go for professional certification ... Audubon University offers a variety of courses to get new skills ... lots of Lunch 'n Learns. Affiliated companies also provide extra opportunities for IT folks and pipeline expertise.

Cons

Audubon is transitioning from being "founder oriented" enterprise to a mid-sized corporation with support systems to match its continued growth. This transition was rather rough when I was there since two of the original partners left and the atmosphere at HQ went from entrepreneurial to hiring too many new managers with their own agendas. Health benefits, salaries, time off, vacations, etc. are standard. Excellent safety program with rewards for safe work. Bonuses used to extremely generous when I worked there.

The shale boom made Audubon and accounted for its meteoric rise. With the current oil & gas glut, Audubon's leadership will need to shift gears quickly. They need to become subject matter experts and help the petrochem industry make money off the natural gas liquid (NGL) byproducts.

Benefits lacking

I have been working at Audubon Engineering

Pros

Pay is good, but that is really dependent on the client and they took over another contract.

Cons

Their benefits are entirely lacking. They do not offer insurance beyond a high deductible HSA with premiums comparable to a decent PPO.

Consider offering better insurance/benefit packages.

Great Work Environment - Great People

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Audubon Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really like the people I work with and the interaction with management at all levels. Audubon is an up and coming company with a lot to offer in terms of experience.

Cons

There are not enough long term projects. Most of our projects last less than 6 months. I am certain, that as we grow, this will change, but right now these are the types of projects we are getting.

Keep it up! I like where the company is going.

Pipeline Engineer

Current Employee - Pipeine Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Pipeine Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Audubon Engineering full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Audubon offers a very good work environment.

Cons

I do not have any negative comments to offer.

Current employee, 3 years

Current Employee - Engineering Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Audubon Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is engaged with the employees on a daily basis. There is no pretentiousness on their part, very open and friendly. Growth is creating a lot of opportunities for younger engineers who gain a lot of experience by working on a lot of different projects.

Cons

The smaller projects are often ill defined and can cause confusion. I like the rapid pace of things around here but it sometimes results in rushed deliverables.

Keep it up! Some of the negative comments on here are from disgruntled former employees who either didn't get their way or got passed by younger, more talented individuals. The company is doubling in size every 3 years so they must be doing something right. I for one am along for the long run, it is a great ride!

A beautiful place to work.

Former Employee - GIS Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - GIS Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Audubon Engineering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Upper management is very sensitive to employees need.

Cons

IT department needs to coordinate their affairs very well with departments such as the GIS Unit of Engineering department. Working with a remote IT department was very frustrating.

Restructure your departments and hire individuals with tested experience. Too many individuals with bloated and exaggerated experiences.

Audubon Engineering / Family

I have been working at Audubon Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great People. Great Values. Fun place to work.

Cons

Insurance could be better. No one likes a high deductible.

Enjoy coming to work everyday!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Audubon Engineering full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been here for almost a year and the time has flown by. Very rewarding work. Great culture. I appreciate how they value work-life balance. I feel like I'm part of a great team.

The management truly cares about their employees. I've read a few negative reviews and can only imagine they are from disgruntled employees. Don't believe the negative posts.

Cons

Every growing company has growing pains - expect it.

Facts are always better than fiction

I worked at Audubon Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are average and consistent with the industry. Rates are average to above average.
    Some of the best standards in the industry but they are rarely used.

Cons

Cons - simply to many to list however lets stick to facts that can't be disputed at this time.
    * Poor project management - many young and inexperienced PM's who haven't mastered their own engineering discipline much less all others and the art of client management as well. Other PM's that have some experience have it in other areas such as fabrication and have no solid EPC experience. This leads to failed projects where the client wishes to schedule rule. Example, it was not uncommon to issue deliverables out of sequence. Not uncommon for a PM to demand that such things like piping ISO's be issued before HAZOP. No, that is not a joke. This put a ridiculous amount of stress on the engineering and design disciplines and resulted in massive rework. When change orders were submitted they were met with angry resistance because poor project management. No project controls to speak of because the PM's dictated that the schedules reflect what they wanted and in the end when project budgets and schedules were over ran, you ended up with an unhappy client and engineering and design were always to blame not the root cause which was poor project management.
    Houston and Denver are primarily Midstream driven while the Louisiana offices in Metairie and Baton Rouge are more Offshore and Downstream driven. Houston and Denver focus on what could be a very productive and profitable sector however due to arrogance of senior management they fail miserably. Example - they honestly believe that a cryogenic gas plant is the same no matter if it's commissioned in South Texas or Ohio. They can't seem to understand that each project is different - never taking into consideration client needs, process conditions, control system or soil conditions which all can add to the cost of doing a project. Poor communication and frustration across the engineering groups cause many disciplines to shut down to communicate meaning they simply do what they have to get their deliverables done and not worry about others. If you enjoy working in a vacuum then Audubon is the place for you. In the last 24 months there have been three engineering managers.. in the coming weeks the third is out and new one will be named. Let me remind potential employees that this is an engineering company and having that many managers is not a good thing.

Would take a long hard look at the toll a few are taking on what could be a great company. Two board members and two senior managers have left as a direct reflection of poor decisions and nose dive the company is taking. What good people who remain are leaving because unlike you may think, they aren't stupid. They see it and they are running. The EVP while he is good financially, he has zero EPC experience and worse not willing to listen to those who know how to make things better and dismisses them. One managing partner needs to stay out of the day to day operations and when he is, make solid decisions based on facts. Stop making decisions based on knee jerk reactions. Again people see this and have lost faith. Continue as you are and you will have no work because you will be driven out of business by better ran competition.

Challenging but fun

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Audubon Engineering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The engineering division I work for is growing very rapidly. The pace is fast and there are understandable growing pains, but the smaller projects allow me to work on a variety of clients which I like. The people here are easy going, and the company does a lot of cool things for employees like sponsoring employee golf tournaments, crawfish boils, etc.

Cons

like with most project based companies, the workload can go from manageable to crazy busy at times. I hear management is working on solutions to proactively distribute work across teams to address the spikes.