Audubon Nature Institute

Add Photos

Audubon Nature Institute President & CEO Ronald Forman

Ronald Forman

Entomologist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Audubon Nature Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsLearn a lot from senior staff members. A lot of contact time with animals.

ConsLow pay, long hours, no chance for raises or advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to censure employees for lateness and absenteeism. It would make the workplace better for those who are there.

it is a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Audubon Nature Institute full-time for more than a year

Prosimmediate manager very family oriented

ConsNo depth in departments, must wait for someone to quit or retire in order to advance

Not a place I would recommend to work

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Audubon Nature Institute full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAble to walk around and see the animals during my 30 minute lunch break if I am lucky enough to leave my desk.

ConsVery sneaky upper management (senior management). They act like they are your friend and stab each other in the back every chance they get. HR VP invites you in to chat with her but will use it against you to get your fired. NOT COOL. I have watched too many friends leave, quit and get fired for "not kissing their butts". Smooch Smooch...I have to do it until I find a new career. :(

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up Ron. Really...It's time to retire but first hire some a new team of senior managers.

Say NO to Audubon!

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Audubon Nature Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLet's see - the only think that I can come up with is the hotdogs at the concession stand at the zoo.

ConsMICROMANGE from all managers
Human Resources does not care about the employees are want to get to know the employees
VP's think they are too good to talk to the employees
No pay raises in years
Over worked under paid
Need to Kiss Butt with the Mangers if you want to keep your job

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Ron Forman - Take a close look at your VP team.

Horrible place to work

Administrative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Audubon Nature Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSorry I cannot think of any pros for working at Audubon.

ConsUpper Management does not care about the employees.
Human Resources is not supportive of staff.
Underpaid
No raises
Poor benefits - Insurance available but we cannot afford it because of our low wages

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to appreciate your staff

Horrible place to work

Animal Keeper (Current Employee)

I have been working at Audubon Nature Institute full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAnimals are great. Fun to care for animals.

ConsUpper management is horrible. I have been working at the zoo for 7 years and have not had a raise. The turnover is unbelievable. They are always firing staff and laying off employees. Then they rehire at a lower hourly rate. The managers treat the employees like trash and have no repect for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect your staff. Without us, the zoo would be closed.

Underpayed and overworked is definitely essential for working at this place...

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Audubon Nature Institute full-time for less than a year

ProsPersonal Time Off (PTO) Days that you racked up if you are a full-time employee, even though its has no monetary value. You also will lose those days if you resign/quit/be fired.

12 free tickets for all Audubon attractions each year of service you with them.

The so-called training classes or seminars.

ConsCompensation is definitely a deciding factor when you work for this particular "non-profit organization" even though ANI is a public entity that works for the City of New Orleans, we still don't get the same benefits or opportunities like city employees.

ANI is consider a non-priority at the most when dealing for grants and other monies.

Morale is scattered among who you talk to and interact with. Some that stay in long haul because they like it, some stay because they can't find anything else to do or afraid to look. I'm looking for better opportunities.

With today's economy and job market, I'm not trying to sound ungrateful for being employed but the fact that ANI has not given some form off raises to employees since Hurricane Katrina is a devastating blow and shows how much the institute as a whole values their employees.

From what I observed is that several people quit/resign at least every month. Hate to say it but ANI is like the Walmart of employee turnovers when it comes to Zoos & Aquarium.

I work for a department within the Aquarium that only has a staff of 3 including me. It's very frustrating that they expect us to be miracle workers while trying to tend to everything in the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney talks unfortunately. Working for $13.00 will not help a recent college grad pay the bills. Compensation needs to be up to par to the regions average.

Upper Management needs look into investing money into all the facilities to be up to par, if they want ANI to be similar to Disney World like atmosphere.

The animals were great, but management sucked.

Zookeeper IV (Former Employee)

I worked at Audubon Nature Institute

ProsThe opportunity to work closely with some great animals.

ConsThe disconnect of upper management to their core workers and their lack of supervision of middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue.

I love what I do for the animals, not for the people I work for.

Zoo Keeper (Current Employee)

I have been working at Audubon Nature Institute

ProsThe experience is one you will never forget or never match - I have had contact with animals that most people will never see (or possibly even recognize) in thier lives. It is beyond comparison to feel like you are doing something to individually impact the survival of endangered species.

ConsNo one does this job for the pay, but we would like to make a liveable wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and treat people for what they are worth. Zookeepers these days are eduacated people with a lot of heart, knowledge, and work ethic - do not take them for granted.

Great Place to work as a student

Bartender (Former Employee)

I worked at Audubon Nature Institute

ProsYour schedule is very flexible. Work when you want to. Great hourly wage plus tips. Beverage staff is a pleasure to work with.

ConsSome of the catering managers were awful to work with but as a bartender there was little exposure to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall I would say they are doing a great job. They provide high end catering services and do very well.

Worked for Audubon Nature Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Audubon Nature Institute reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Audubon Nature Institute CEO Ronald Forman. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Audubon Nature Institute employees.