Audubon Society

Add Photos

David Yarnold

Policy Intern

Policy Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSmall highly passionate staff, extremely knowledgeable hard-working and great people to learn from. Also, outgoing welcoming and willing to teach interns.

ConsNot many. The team is extremely busy so if you are not diligent you can get less management/experience then some might like.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Not a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMany committed and dedicated staff

ConsThe org. can be very bureacratic, the leadership is poor, many managers are inept, there are major office politics, lack of commucation between departments and offices plus the pay is really low even for an NGO.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer management/leadership training to your supervisors, recognize and reward your valuable employees, start promoting within and improve the HR department - they are supposed to provide assistance, advice and support to employees as well as managers and not act as the company police

fly in other direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosrewarding to help save birds

Consmanagement plays mind-games, employees overloaded for little pay, stressful

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overpaid and Poor Management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBenefits and paid time off

ConsPoor Management, Lazy Management, Management, New Management who do not know what they are doing and overpaid

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no job stability at Audubon anymore, so stop giving employees a false sense of security. We all know that you let poor people go making 30 to 40 thousand, while you take their salaries in the interim. Then have the audacity to cry poverty. I have seen you send emails and harass your own employees for money and you already know they are on the chopping block. This is a management with no conscience. They will destroy your life, your pension and take away your health insurance as well so it can go into the pockets of the Chief Operating Office, the President, The Controller just to name a few. The same thing with other states. People please don't let them make you feel guilty. Do not donate to Audubon. It's a scam.

Struggling Against Irrelevance at the Cost of Its Soul

Fundraiser (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsDedicated lower- and mid-level employees

ConsA corrupt, thoroughly unpleasant place to work

By far the worst job I've ever had—and that includes my teenage stint as an ice cream scooper at Baskin Robbins. Audubon is trying so desperately (and unsuccessfully) to position itself as a currently relevant environmental group that it resorts to some really unsavoury practices. For instance, this elitist, lily-white group tries to act like its inclusive by putting a few pics of black kids on its website and hiring a token person here or there....

I was asked to lie to major donors on a regular basis, when it came to accomplishments, in order to hit them up for yet more money! Upper management plays fast and loose with the facts in this and other regards—facts, schmacts. Huge discrepancy between the way Audubon's 2,768 VPs (OK, only 50 or so) are treated, and the low status afforded lower workers paid by the hour—and at poverty wages at that. Subjected to haranguing from upper management—was yelled at on numerous occasions by supervisor, in clear hearing of others, who was held in both fear and utter contempt by others. Stress seems to emanate from the very top.

Advice to Senior ManagementBow out gracefully. You're obsolete.

This Company is all about Asset Accumulation and little more

Tenant (Current Employee)

ProsI cannot think of any.

ConsLittle time to achieve goals and not much money in salary for Directors of satellite Centers...result: burn out

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the mission statement and avoid having tenant properties you do not upkeep.
    2.6 million left to the Audubon Society in 2001 by Edith L. Leopold in Ct. PLUS a 1750 Historical Colonial that she kept in excellent repair on 1.3 acres and 43 acres for a Sanctuary. 13 years later: once a year mowing on one field in Sanctuary, sign installed with nothing on it, no trails, no maintenance. House has severe mold problem inside and mold on exterior clapboard. Recent tenant updated some electrical and other repairs to make liveable, out of pocket, and cleaned up neglected grounds. No reimbursement...reason Audubon Society has given for neglect... No money Go figure.
    I would recommend Society does not have tenant properties and that the money they are donated goes towards fulfilling it's mission statement ONLY.

Racists and lazy

Slave (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWeekends off. Common area for lunch. AC

ConsEveryone dumps their work on new people. Horrible dental plan. Lots of favoritism for brown noses

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease straighten your acts up before any of this is reported. Open your eyes to the hard workers and clean this place up. Maybe there's a reason for the revolving door.

Start a New Trend in America

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPreservation and education for conservation of natural resources are very noble commitments.

ConsDisrespect for the teaching profession, especially in contrast to other staff members.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou pay Web Designers more than $60k. Educators get $10.00/hour. Not only are the educators not salaried, they are also paid at the poverty level. Isn't preservation and education important to your organization? Education is the key. Start a new trend in America. Show respect to the staff members who work very hard indoors and out, in all weather, must work after hours to plan lessons and are imperative to taking preservation into the future.

The work was rewarding

Program Director (Current Employee)

ProsNational organization has support network

ConsCompetition among different areas for funding

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more receptive to state needs and contributions to the organization

If you love birds, but not technology

ProsIf you love birds, the environment, and want to interact with others who do, Audubon is the place. There are a lot of passionate people out in the field who are doing amazing work. The field is where its at at Audubon.

ConsThere are a lot of senior people who have been there a long time and the group could use some fresh ideas and perspectives. Technology (ie web site) is one of Audubon's biggest challenges and they could really stand to streamline their internal systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild your web presence. The web site does not currently have any key word meta tags, which is astonishing. SEO marketing and a well written blog and newsletter could help provide steady stream of content and drive people to the web site.

Worked for Audubon Society? Contribute to the Community!