Augustana

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
4.2

Steven C. Bahls

Great people but losing direction under current leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rock Island, IL

I have been working at Augustana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with at Augustana were second to none! Having also attended the institution as a student, I was well-versed in the culture and the Augustana community spirit for many years before becoming a professional. Within your department you are highly valued by peers and colleagues and proud of the work that you do.

Cons

Over the years Augustana seems to have lost its way somewhat. Originally, I found the campus to be a very welcoming one, where everyone greeted every passerby like they were friends. The culture has changed significantly over the last decade and while you feel valued in your department, you do not always feel your department is valued by the higher powers. In my opinion, Augustana has become more of an obvious business than the community it once was. I feel that people are valued less and departments are given less and less to work with in order to achieve objectives.

While I have very many positives when I look back on my many years with Augustana, these are somewhat spoiled by the the apparent trajectory or the school's ethos. I have seen my department, an essential one for an instituition of this type, nearly eliminated and the budget more than halved. Further, some of the best people I have worked with have been refused promotions simply because they were dedicated servants to the school and not, external candidates.

Therefore, my advice to management is that you learn to truly value the people that do the work on the ground, not just your directors and dean. Remember that the people who are working day in and day out with the students are the ones who have the potential to make the biggest difference to their experience. That is how you will increase your endowment.

Good place to work

I worked at Augustana part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive staff, friendly co-workers in the admissions office

Cons

Some jobs here are better than others

Higher Ed

Former Employee - Administration in Rock Island, IL
    Former Employee - Administration in Rock Island, IL

I worked at Augustana full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fulfilling to work with college aged students and tuition remission is a nice benefit if you want to take classes or have kids

Cons

Not much room for advancement, low pay

Great job for students attending the college.

I worked at Augustana

Pros

You can work on your homework for the majority of your shift. If you enjoy art you will see plenty of it.

Cons

Since the location is next to a parking lot sometimes people wander in expecting you to know everything that is going on at the college including where their meeting for something random is.

Keep the job as it is overall. It's a good job. Maybe have a sign on the ticket booth that has a map showing where the during a normal work day ticket booth is.

Augustana After 3rd Yr

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rock Island, IL

I have been working at Augustana part-time (more than 3 years)

Well Rounded Education
    Diverse in Activities
    Teachers are AWESOME

Cons

Expensive
    Slow Internet
    Transfer program
    Augie Choice Not Enough.

Augustana is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Stage Manager in Rock Island, IL
    Current Employee - Stage Manager in Rock Island, IL

I have been working at Augustana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with respect you for what you know not who you know. They understand when you need to take time off due to schedulign issues.

Cons

The pay is kind of dismal but something is better than nothing. There are also not raises for student part time work.

Look into scheduling and release any restrictions on students.