Auntie Anne's

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014

Auntie Anne's President & CEO William Dunn
William Dunn

Pros
  • Free pretzels and a nice peaceful atmosphere to work in (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule, Nice Managers, Easy Job (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No opportunity for growth, poor owner involvement, low pay (in 5 reviews)

• Also being a minimum wage job with no foreseeable raises there is little incentive to stay on board for the long run (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty Good

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Auntie Anne's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun making pretzels makes time go by fast, relatively easy job. Most Co-workers are great and love talking to regulars.

Cons

Sometimes times are slow and all you are doing is making product and throwing it away. it is kind of depressing but what can you do?

Good starting company

Former Employee - Crew Member in Strongsville, OH
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Strongsville, OH

I worked at Auntie Anne's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You could take home pretzels if you closed, it was a really simple job. As long as you tried to upsell and make combos and such, they treated you well. Lots of opportunities to pick up shifts and get some hours. The coworkers were awesome while I was there. Great company overall.

Cons

Pretty small raises, not very much room for advancement unless you're at corporate. My manager was kind of ridiculous sometimes when it came to just nitpicking everyone. Kinda sucks around the holidays, but every mall job sucks then. This is a good first job/high school job.

better raises, people will stick around longer.

Fantastic Starting Job

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Limerick, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Limerick, PA

I worked at Auntie Anne's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My location had some great people, amazing flexibility, and fantastic hours, at least in the summer months. Last minute situations that came up were handled tactfully, shift switching was allowed, and the work was easy. The main owner was a fantastic guy who really cared about his employees, and compensation was great for a starting high school job! There was a lot of opportunity for moving up in the store--they rarely hired outside management.

Cons

There tended to be a decent amount of personal drama that affected the work place and wasn't always handle the best by management. Work was sometimes very physically demanding in terms of endurance--long shifts especially during holidays and extreme heat during the summer, as we were an outdoor location.

There needed to be more emphasis on professional work life. There were a lot of indications of favorism and an upsetting amount of personal drama brought into the work place that shouldn't have been allowed.

Worst company I've had the displeasure of working for

I worked at Auntie Anne's part-time

Pros

Easy to learn.. and I suppose free pretzels aren't bad.

Cons

It can become incredibly overwhelming when a rush of customers come. The stores are tiny, and yet during peak hours they will shove at least 12 employees just in the front (not including the 4 or 5 working in the back). I had the misfortune of being a cashier, and it gets old. Quick. Especially if you are never rotated.

Upper management is INCREDIBLY CHEAP. All of my coworkers could not STAND working there, and they were there longer than me. Management has been cutting back on employee perks over the years, and giving no incentive whatsoever or praise whenever a successful secret shop is done.
    On top off all of this, our store was a high volume store. Which also meant never getting a weekend off, ever. They will work you to the bone and give you nothing to show for it.

Personally, I found this to be by far the absolute worst company I've ever worked for.

Stop caring more about pretzel sales than your own employees.

Managerial balancing act

Former Employee - Manager in Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - Manager in Monroe, LA

I worked at Auntie Anne's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This employer gives budding managers a great, low-stress environment to get real-world experience about how a business runs. Inventory control, hiring and termination practices, time management skills, and predicting labor needs.

Cons

Your biggest challenges are going to be employee management. Frequently, you might find yourself filling in for employees that call in and cannot work. Predicting inventory needs can be tricky for seasonal work, especially if you have no historical view from previous years. People (customers) get very very worked up over product freshness, including raking coffee, sugar, napking, and straw dispensers off of your counter. Additionally, you e really got to watch your employees to make sure that they are not trading your merchandise for other vendor merchandise. Finally, it is best practice to avoid employing stoners, but you may find that they are psychologically more able to handle the tedium and mind games that come from some of the more unbalanced customers.

Makes sure your franchise owners are actually maintaining that equipment. Kona filters on soda machines go unchanged for years. Safety cages on mixers off for months. Ovens with loose hinges, causing the door to fall open and burn employees.

It was not as relaxed as you'd expect

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Kentwood, MI
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Kentwood, MI

I worked at Auntie Anne's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Shifts are typically kept short

Cons

Small staff, small work environment, Kentwood location specifically is a dreadful place to work. Store manager doesn't keep after his employees. Things get confused and not done.

Not worth the wait.

Former Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH

I worked at Auntie Anne's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The other employees and the owner were very friendly and helpful. It was my very first job, and they had a lot of patience with helping me out, teaching me different tricks and tips. The pay was better than most places which was nice too.

Cons

I definitely felt underestimated by the employer as time went on. I had very few hours, I wasn't able to prove myself with the few hours I got.

I would get at most maybe 5 hours. That in itself was a joke, and I would only work 1 day, and that's when the employer felt like scheduling on the schedule.

I felt like I was being toyed with and my time and money were being played with as well. Since I was the youngest, I think this definitely played a huge role in that.

The professionalism of the employer was terrible. I was told I could call or text them whenever I needed to know information or call off, etc. The response time from them didn't even exist. It was like texting/calling a one way number. I would never work for them again, unless it was a different location under a different employer, who was serious, professional, and responded back to any concerns I had.

Overall dissatisfied with the lack of respect from employer. I would not recommend anyone to apply whether you're young or older.

Individual franchisee

I worked at Auntie Anne's

Pros

Great product, big following and great response

Cons

Put me in a lease that they told me later was way too much

Great experience, just not the business for me

Current Employee - Store Manager in Decatur, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Decatur, AL

I have been working at Auntie Anne's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

i liked meeting new people everyday

Cons

worked nearly 60 hours a week

train managers better

Only worked here for a few shifts, could not tolerate it

Former Employee - Pretzel Roller in Moorestown, NJ
    Former Employee - Pretzel Roller in Moorestown, NJ

I worked at Auntie Anne's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Head Manager was nice. I wasn't here long enough to get an impression, however at the end of the night you get free leftover pretzels and there's free drinks at the end of your shift. Those were the only upsides I seen thus far.

Cons

Assistant Managers was almost intolerable to deal with. I was being trained to be a roller, and he would explain to me what to do and I would do exact almost to the dime what he wanted me to do, he would come over, take my dough and throw it out and tell me it was wrong, then eventually just do it himself. Not only that but when I asked him to explain things to me that I was doing wrong and show me the correct way to do it, he just would not do it no matter how many times I asked and would put me down as a person if I did it wrong. This is also another place of work that's plagued with I as an English speaker being a minority, and feeling uncomfortable whenever English was not being spoken around me, as if the employees did not want me to hear what they were saying. I feel that this is just another overrated job for High School kids. They told me I would be put on full-time and only gave me 2 days a week 4 hour days. I'm a college student in need of a full time job. I did not really see any good qualities of working here. The first interview I had with the Assistant Manager at first wanted me to work in Cinnabon but I do not know how to make the Cinnabons. He told me he might not put me in there because I can't speak Spanish and the only guy that could train people only spoke Spanish, no English. They pretty much wasted my time. I'm very disappointed because I've been a fan of Auntie Anne's since I was little.

Hire an Assistant Manager that is more sensitive to newer people regardless of the fact whether they have prior experience or not. Also, do not single out only the Spanish speaking people to hire just because of that fact. It's discrimination to young adults who also need jobs and don't speak another language besides English. I feel like this violates the Equal Opportunity Employer act. Stop hiring illegals to work for your company just so you can pay them less and make more money.