Aurora Casket

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

William D. Backman III

Overworked, Underpaid with clueless management- Steer Clear.

Technology (Former Employee) Aurora, IN

ProsFlexible, great co-workers, some departments achieve success.

ConsVision is present but management does not listen or try to understand what it takes regarding resources, expenses or time to make the vision a successful reality. Management clueless and takes ALL the credit. Projects released too soon before thoroughly completed, over-promising and under-delivering is the company's mission statement. Employees consistently win top ratings for customer service but are not treated like an award winning team. Stress, stress and more stress. You will have a headache before 9:00 am. Work here if you like like to constantly fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave. You know who you are and you are took a good family-owned company and tarnished it with corporate politics. Morale is at an all time low and you either don't care or just continue to remain clueless.

Living Hell

Client Services (Former Employee) Aurora, IN

ProsThe best thing about Aurora Casket is not working there.

ConsAbsolutely everything. Was easily able to find employment (after Aurora) earning nearly three times more and working half as hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror and say the following, "I am not qualified to lead people or make decisions."

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Catastrophic Failure - Run Away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBase pay isn't so bad

ConsThe management is God awful. People are hired into important positions simply because they look a certain way. They have no interest in understanding problems, they're only concern is making them go away by hook or by crook. When all else fails, fire someone. Resignation emails seem to happen daily. This company is failing and shows zero indication of wanting to do what needs to be done to succeed. Don't be surprised if they sell the company. Also, don't count on getting your bonuses if you earn them.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the CEO, Fire everyone of your directors and two out of three of your Vice Presidents. The people you have in these positions are worthless. Stop allowing them to stomp a mud hole in the people who make you what you are without consequence.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company not geared for growth, geared for fear

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Aurora, IN

ProsGood inside sales and customer staff. Service centers have great dedicated employees that are not appreciated for their sacrifices and dedication.

ConsMiddle and upper sales management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind better and progressive ways to grow, not chasing BCC and MI and worrying about the past losses. Treat your people better.

No longer a family company, disappointing,

ProsThe employees that are left over from when the company was run by the Backman family are great. Still a sense of pride, good family people.

ConsNow that the company has been purchased by the Kolberg company out of New York everything is about the bottom line. The management is totally confused, nobody is on the same page. One manager has their group doing one thing and that Manager's boss is totally unaware. People get hired to positions they don't belong in, people are fired for really sketchy reasons... If Indiana wasn't an at will employment state I'm sure most of their firings would be totally unjustified.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave. Find a new gig. The industry is garbage. Aurora is just now trying to change their approach to how they handle their competition and their place in the market. It's too little too late. At this point all your stupid plans and initiatives are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

horrible- worst for women and for anyone else

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Aurora, IN

Prosgood product- still made in USA for now

Consthe management - the product line -
    company will be sold soon
    they play favorites and pay favorites
    no work life balance
    8 hours in the field - 24 hour work at home 24/7 no respect for personal time

Advice to Senior Managementthanks for the severance

It has been a comfortable fit for me.

Manager (Current Employee) Aurora, IN

ProsLocation to home, family environment for years. Communication is getting better.

ConsNew ownership, pay, no room for growth.

Better than unemployment.

Consulting (Former Employee) Aurora, IN

ProsIf you need a job, are under-employed, or fresh out of college, Aurora Casket is the place for you.
    Good launching pad to your real career.
    Great, company doctor.
    Free medical (after you pay for it)

ConsDeclining Market
    Nepatism and years of "old boy" management has left Aurora Casket unprepared to do business in the 21st century.
    You will work very hard for the money you earn.
    You will not be promoted.
    Upper management does not have the talent needed to turn around years of declining sales.
    Owned by a private equity firm, who will sell Aurora eventually.
    Will only pay employees half the average salary of comps.
    Detaining and condescending management.
    (Had 3 job offers at double the salary after 1 month of looking)

Advice to Senior ManagementPrepare your exit strategy.

Not ready to grow

Marketing (Former Employee) Aurora, IN

ProsFree Healthcare Clinic
    Good Pay
    Innovation Leader

ConsSilo decison making
    Declining Industry
    Owned by Private Equity

Advice to Senior ManagementLack of Leadership leads to stagnant movement, growth needs to be planned

Horrible place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Aurora, IN

ProsDecent pay for the work.

ConsThe benifits are terrible. Aurora Casket has to be the worst ran company I have ever worked for. The common employee is treated like worthless trash. There is no internal promotion. The retirement system is a joke. Employee safety is not important. They are starting to outsource to Mexico now.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually sit down and listen to the concerns and comments of your workers. Keep your jobs in the U.S.A.

Worked for Aurora Casket? Contribute to the Community!