Aurora Health Care

Be The First To
Add Photos

Aurora Health Care President & CEO Nick Turkal

Nick Turkal

Pros:
  • "Very good on work life balance and we have solid benefits package"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Really great benefits (low cost, compared to other companies)"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Little to no opportunity for advancement"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Wages are mediocre and yearly "merit increases" are pocket change and terribly difficult if not impossible to achieve 90-100%"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work and great people.

Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Wauwatosa, WI

ProsGreat teamss of people, good benefits

ConsI have no cons to report

Always treated fairly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, flexibility with work and family life, management cared for employees

ConsLarge organization that you feel lost in at times at a corporate level, but my managers always looked out for our best interests.

Aurora Health Care

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Burlington, WI

ProsThe volunteers are wonderfully helpful

ConsYou are a number, not an employee

Advice to Senior ManagementHuman Resource Director needs to be replaced.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at a new hospital is not necessarily a good thing

Clerical (Former Employee)
    Grafton, WI

ProsI worked at Aurora Grafton for 3 years since before it opened and felt like I was making a great contribution to this new hospital. People were pretty friendly and the place was beautiful. Aurora offers reasonable pay, decent health insurance, tuition reimbursement and opportunities to move to other positions in the system.

ConsA lot of change happened when the higher management changed. Directors came and left. Some were given higher positions and the rest of management became hard to deal with. Non-caring and non-understanding. Attitudes changed with employees. What began as everyone saying hi to each other came to downright ignoring each other. Many people walked past my desk not uttering a word. Not even eye contact. My office was moved without consideration to what my job entailed and the people in this new area ignored me as if I was intruding and made it very awkward. My manager had no idea the importance of my job and my knowledge and skills in doing it.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should stop thinking about themselves and get to know their staff. My manager was more interested in his own position and doesn't appear to care about anyone else. I know many people who work for Aurora (as I've worked at two of their hospitals) do not trust the organization. There's a lot of back stabbing and secrecy going on and for as big an organization that it is, there needs to be more trust in the organization in which you work.

Aurora Healthcare

Echo Tech (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsGreat teamwork between all members in our department. Except our manager.

ConsManagement. Profits are top priority. Complaints about manager from several department members go unaddressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees some dignity and respect.

Good pay and benefits but management is cut throat and shallow when it comes to people

Medical Records (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsI think we have always had the latest and best software and training. I have great coworkers. Management was very good, balanced, provided a good work environment and seemed to really care up until recent years. Maybe it can happen again. Flexibility is great and the pay and benefits are good.

ConsI think a lot depends on what department you are in, but in general I think the work environment at Aurora has deteriorated and employee morale at Aurora has gone way down over the past several years. Stress on the job has gone from average but manageable, to highly stressful. Management in my department has changed and become more bullying than healthy, balanced leadership in recent years. They, just like upper management, talk the talk, but the at times actions and attitudes underneath expose the real issues that are there. The outdated performance evaluations seem to have become a tool to humiliate and really serve little purpose other than to increase stress in the workplace. Job cuts were necessary, but I think Aurora has used the situation to mistreat employees and discriminate against people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish you could forget yourself and your position and focus on helping people and working together as a team with other non-Aurora caregivers in the community, instead of just trying to be "the best." That's not what healthcare is about.
    Negativity from bad treatment of the employees sifts down to patients and doesn't induce good health for anyone.
    If you provide management training it needs an upgrade. If you don't, you desperately need it. You really shouldn't depend on employee survey results to teach management how to behave. Education works.

Three years with Aurora covering three different hospitals as a nursing leader

ProsThe direct caregivers really want to do the best they can for their patients and visitors. Compensation is ok but is said to be lower than in other healthcare systems. There are monetary incentives for maintaining a healthy lifestyle in the form of wellness credits each pay period if you are able to meet the

ConsA culture that is focused more on the budget and staffing than on taking good care people. While the direct caregivers do their best, there is little regard from managers for their own well-being. As a salaried employee with accountability for many areas, work-life balance is something I am not familiar with.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is apparent that most middle to upper management is only really cares about themselves and their own advancement within Aurora. There seems to be little genuine care for the caregivers or the patients and families. Real attention to the learning and development of the staff would go along way. It seems like the mark has been missed with regard to marketing. Rather than doing whats best for the people in the community, it seems like the focus is on trying to make people believe they are cared for. But behind the scenes it is all about the bottom line and in recent months, patients are being referred to only with regard to their pocket books and their insurance status rather than as people with feelings, families, and healthcare needs.

I worked with a lot of nice people

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Kenosha, WI

ProsI liked my managers, enjoyed working for them very much.

ConsDecisions are made by upper echelon management at a distant location to axe entire departments because they don't understand the need for that particular department and then the rest of the employees just have to deal with the fall out.

Excellent Job - fair practices with regards to employees

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Pros8 paid hours of vacation with each paycheck. Good work-life balance

Consterrible review process - part of your review is based on the clinic scores that you work at.... not really based solely on you

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up with communicating with your employees - you are doing a good job at this

Supportive of higher education

Milwaukee, WI

ProsBenefits of working for such a large and diverse organization is there are always many opportunities. They have a good tuition reimbursement and benefits package.

ConsWages are lower compared to other area hospital systems

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease wages to retain more senior staff

Worked for Aurora Health Care? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aurora Health Care reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aurora Health Care CEO Nick Turkal . All 101 reviews posted anonymously by Aurora Health Care employees.