Aurora Health Care

Be The First To
Add Photos

Aurora Health Care President & CEO Nick Turkal

Nick Turkal

Pros
  • Great teamss of people, good benefits(in 7 reviews)

• Very good on work life balance and we have solid benefits package(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no opportunity for advancement(in 5 reviews)

• Wages are mediocre and yearly "merit increases" are pocket change and terribly difficult if not impossible to achieve 90-100%(in 5 reviews)

Mixed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSenior management is very focused and effective at keeping the company strong financially. There is also a strong focus on growth.

ConsThe company's treatment of it's employees has become more ruthless in recent years. Presumably as a means of maintaining it's financial strength and performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementVice Presidents in all areas need to be held accountable for maintaining the company's values.

It's a very good company to work with.

Outreach Phlebotomist (Current Employee) West Allis, WI

ProsYou gain all the experience you will need.

ConsThe company expands very well.

Wonderful coworkers

CNA (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsI loved being a CNA at Aurora due to the fact that I had AMAZING coworkers (RNs, Nurse Clinician, other CNAs...). I've never worked with such a hardworking and motivated group of individuals. Of course there were some negative people here and there, but for the most part I was inspired by everyone on a daily basis. Even though we experienced some crazy, sad and challenging events throughout the shift, I almost always ended up going home in a better mood compared to how I felt at the beginning of the shift. Also, Aurora offers a CNA training program that is wonderful- that's actually where I received my training. And if you are looking to become an RN eventually, it's best to work as a CNA...they're always looking to hire new grad RN's who are internal CNA's. Oh, AND they do tuition reimbursement!:)

ConsPatient to Caregiver ratio was difficult at times, but I believe that the census is a national regulation and each hospital has to adhere to the same guidelines. There were days when we were overstaffed and understaffed (or at least it felt like it), but we always worked together to deliver the best care possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to always show appreciation to employees- There were times when I felt like our consistent hard work wasn't recognized, which can get exhausting and frustrating. There are appreciation luncheons and other things, but even just a simple thank you makes such a huge impression. Overall, management was great- very understanding, hardworking and helpful.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and great people.

Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) Wauwatosa, WI

ProsGreat teamss of people, good benefits

ConsI have no cons to report

Always treated fairly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, flexibility with work and family life, management cared for employees

ConsLarge organization that you feel lost in at times at a corporate level, but my managers always looked out for our best interests.

Needs help.

Nurse Manager (Current Employee) Kenosha, WI

ProsGreat System Network of experienced people

ConsLean to a fault. High turnover. Only able to recruit new grads. Have a great list of values..... Need to actually follow them.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to have resources and spend money to recruit retain staff. New grads are not the answer!

Working at a new hospital is not necessarily a good thing

Clerical (Former Employee) Grafton, WI

ProsI worked at Aurora Grafton for 3 years since before it opened and felt like I was making a great contribution to this new hospital. People were pretty friendly and the place was beautiful. Aurora offers reasonable pay, decent health insurance, tuition reimbursement and opportunities to move to other positions in the system.

ConsA lot of change happened when the higher management changed. Directors came and left. Some were given higher positions and the rest of management became hard to deal with. Non-caring and non-understanding. Attitudes changed with employees. What began as everyone saying hi to each other came to downright ignoring each other. Many people walked past my desk not uttering a word. Not even eye contact. My office was moved without consideration to what my job entailed and the people in this new area ignored me as if I was intruding and made it very awkward. My manager had no idea the importance of my job and my knowledge and skills in doing it.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should stop thinking about themselves and get to know their staff. My manager was more interested in his own position and doesn't appear to care about anyone else. I know many people who work for Aurora (as I've worked at two of their hospitals) do not trust the organization. There's a lot of back stabbing and secrecy going on and for as big an organization that it is, there needs to be more trust in the organization in which you work.

Aurora Healthcare

Echo Tech (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsGreat teamwork between all members in our department. Except our manager.

ConsManagement. Profits are top priority. Complaints about manager from several department members go unaddressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees some dignity and respect.

Aurora Health Care

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burlington, WI

ProsThe volunteers are wonderfully helpful

ConsYou are a number, not an employee

Advice to Senior ManagementHuman Resource Director needs to be replaced.

Three years with Aurora covering three different hospitals as a nursing leader

ProsThe direct caregivers really want to do the best they can for their patients and visitors. Compensation is ok but is said to be lower than in other healthcare systems. There are monetary incentives for maintaining a healthy lifestyle in the form of wellness credits each pay period if you are able to meet the

ConsA culture that is focused more on the budget and staffing than on taking good care people. While the direct caregivers do their best, there is little regard from managers for their own well-being. As a salaried employee with accountability for many areas, work-life balance is something I am not familiar with.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is apparent that most middle to upper management is only really cares about themselves and their own advancement within Aurora. There seems to be little genuine care for the caregivers or the patients and families. Real attention to the learning and development of the staff would go along way. It seems like the mark has been missed with regard to marketing. Rather than doing whats best for the people in the community, it seems like the focus is on trying to make people believe they are cared for. But behind the scenes it is all about the bottom line and in recent months, patients are being referred to only with regard to their pocket books and their insurance status rather than as people with feelings, families, and healthcare needs.

Worked for Aurora Health Care? Contribute to the Community!