Aurora Health Care

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014

Aurora Health Care President & CEO Nick Turkal
Nick Turkal

Pros
  • Great teamss of people, good benefits (in 7 reviews)

• Very good on work life balance and we have solid benefits package (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no opportunity for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Wages are mediocre and yearly "merit increases" are pocket change and terribly difficult if not impossible to achieve 90-100% (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Staff Nurse on a Chest pain-OBs/Medical Unit

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Aurora Health Care for more than 5 years

Pros

Great experince working at what know as The Heart Hospital of Milwaukee WI. As an LPN I gained experince I would not of been able to untain in a Long term setting.

Cons

As an LPN there is a limation of employment within the hosptial setting, also limationa set on postions for full time satus.

Medical Assistant

Former Employee - Medical Assistant  in  Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Aurora Health Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are decent for employees and family. The company has expanded tremendously and this gives patients easier access for scheduling appointments.

Cons

Trust with management is lacking. You work your tail off to keep up with piles of work and to provide excellent customer service, but management fails to recognize your efforts. This is only based in my particular department, not the entire system.

Great Company, but lack in appreciation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Aurora Health Care full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been with Aurora for over 10 years and have held 3 positions. For the most part I have enjoyed it. Work-life-school balance is amazing. I felt really supported with the tuition reimbursement for school, and co-workers are amazing and provide a great work environment.

Cons

I see a huge lack in promoting and encourage growth from within. Unless of course you know someone... It doesn't pay to stay with this company for as long as I have because they seem to appreciate those on the outside joining us than those that have been with them for some time. After graduation I started looking for a position to utilize my education. I have $66,000+ in student loans and my current salary just isn't cutting it. I have received little to no help from recruitment, and have struggled just to get noticed. I have no expectation to be handed a job, but guidance and appreciation would be appreciated not to mention the years that I have been loyal to this organization.

You should focus on those that you are paying for their education and support and help them after graduation. Why would you not if you invested money in them. There should be programs to help those gain the skills necessary for supervisory positions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slow and Steady

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Aurora Health Care full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Aurora is in a great position as an integrated delivery system with a large patient base across a continuous geographical spread. In the move towards population health, it can make strides in ways that local competition can not. So it is an exciting place to work. The culture is positive and the people want to make a difference in the lives of our patients.

Cons

Given its advantages, it can be frustrating when Aurora seems to go to slow in pursuing change. Aurora often moves too cautiously and stifles attempts at more bold change. Its size is also a barrier, as is its culture of autonomy for the different regional operations.

Aurora needs to invest in more system resources to align the functions across its geographical spread and empower faster and bolder change to lead the charge in the move to value-based health care.

Very Good

Current Employee - Director  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Aurora Health Care full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large organization with multiple opportunities to grow in nursing

Cons

Executive/Admin positions still recruit/hire outside of org

Recruiters should be from the field they are recruiting for.......hire an RN recruiter for RN positions, etc, etc

Patients are first!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Aurora Health Care

Pros

Leadership lives the values of the organization.

Cons

It is a big system.

Keep up the great work!

Great job to start at out of school-- Not sure about staying long term

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Aurora Health Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

Magnet Hospital, Lots of learning experiences, hospital maintains high census

Cons

Usual- always trying to work the little people (cnas and rns) harder and harder to save a buck, but patient ratios can be concerningly high-- (8-11 patients per RN occasionally). Being mandated to work 16 hour shifts, difficult patient population

Largest Health Care Employer in state of WI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Aurora Health Care full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large organization, stable, good fundamental focus

Cons

Constant change with little-to-no communication, minimal merit increases (an excellent performer barely gets more than a cost of living adjustment - no incentive to expend extra effort) - more emphasis placed on tenure.

Be more open and transparent, listen to employee concerns; pay employees what they are worth and the job they do - not primarily based on years of experience or how long they've been there.

Wonderful coworkers

Former Employee - CNA  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - CNA in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Aurora Health Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved being a CNA at Aurora due to the fact that I had AMAZING coworkers (RNs, Nurse Clinician, other CNAs...). I've never worked with such a hardworking and motivated group of individuals. Of course there were some negative people here and there, but for the most part I was inspired by everyone on a daily basis. Even though we experienced some crazy, sad and challenging events throughout the shift, I almost always ended up going home in a better mood compared to how I felt at the beginning of the shift. Also, Aurora offers a CNA training program that is wonderful- that's actually where I received my training. And if you are looking to become an RN eventually, it's best to work as a CNA...they're always looking to hire new grad RN's who are internal CNA's. Oh, AND they do tuition reimbursement!:)

Cons

Patient to Caregiver ratio was difficult at times, but I believe that the census is a national regulation and each hospital has to adhere to the same guidelines. There were days when we were overstaffed and understaffed (or at least it felt like it), but we always worked together to deliver the best care possible.

My advice to management would be to always show appreciation to employees- There were times when I felt like our consistent hard work wasn't recognized, which can get exhausting and frustrating. There are appreciation luncheons and other things, but even just a simple thank you makes such a huge impression. Overall, management was great- very understanding, hardworking and helpful.

It's a very good company to work with.

Current Employee - Outreach Phlebotomist  in  West Allis, WI
    Current Employee - Outreach Phlebotomist in West Allis, WI

I have been working at Aurora Health Care full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You gain all the experience you will need.

Cons

The company expands very well.

Worked for Aurora Health Care? Contribute to the Community!