Aurora Health Care

Updated October 17, 2014
3.1

Aurora Health Care President & CEO Nick Turkal
Nick Turkal

Pros
  • Great teamss of people, good benefits (in 7 reviews)

• Very good on work life balance and we have solid benefits package (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no opportunity for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Wages are mediocre and yearly "merit increases" are pocket change and terribly difficult if not impossible to achieve 90-100% (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

They have good benefits and they support me through tough times.

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Aurora Health Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Health Insurance, 403b, eye and dental insurance. Education support. Great leadership courses that really prepare future leaders.

Cons

Difficult co-workers, working holidays. we are open 24/7 365, but hey, that is healthcare.

Being open to everyone is important. Especially in times of economical decline. Growth is a good thing!

Very positive experience and very fast

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative

I have been working at Aurora Health Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved that I went to an interview on a Tuesday and was called with an offer Thursday.

Cons

I was a little shocked when I entered the room to be interviewed and there were three individuals there besides myself.

Talent Acquisition

Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Aurora Health Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with and the mission of the organization.

Cons

Large employers mean that at times one feels a bit uninformed. Leadership made a significant effort to combat the silos that can result from a large company with many divisions.

Growth and Change

I worked at Aurora Health Care full-time

Pros

Compensation and benefits are in line with local competition. Opportunities for growth are available.

Cons

Change management principles are taught but seldom implemented.

Staff Nurse on a Chest pain-OBs/Medical Unit

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Aurora Health Care (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great experince working at what know as The Heart Hospital of Milwaukee WI. As an LPN I gained experince I would not of been able to untain in a Long term setting.

Cons

As an LPN there is a limation of employment within the hosptial setting, also limationa set on postions for full time satus.

Terrible management practices. They lie through their teeth! And they only care about profits.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Aurora Health Care full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of great NON-Management personnel. Wages are adequate. Vacations, PTO, are OK. I do not have very many pros to add to this part.

Cons

Lazy, incompetent nursing managers. They do not have the utmost quality of patients' care on their agendas, especially
    with the VNA of Wisconsin. They're all about numbers. And if an RN questions any of their bad decisions (& they make many!), they'll coerce them into signing a "corrective action" plan, which is nothing more than a gag order, to keep them from questioning anything that management throws at them. One false step, & they'll fire you for Misconduct(trumped-up charges!), even if you point out flaws in their plan & produce a much better alternative for the patients' quality of care, they will say that you were "disrespectful". Aurora HC, VNA, et. al., are not for the hard working nurses & other support staff, just profits.

Re-think how you pick your managers. Managers who do not listen to the concerns of their staff & lack integrity , or drive them like cattle, will only get the bare minimum from their staffers & the quality of care for the patients will suffer. And there goes your profits!

Great Company, but lack in appreciation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Aurora Health Care full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Aurora for over 10 years and have held 3 positions. For the most part I have enjoyed it. Work-life-school balance is amazing. I felt really supported with the tuition reimbursement for school, and co-workers are amazing and provide a great work environment.

Cons

I see a huge lack in promoting and encourage growth from within. Unless of course you know someone... It doesn't pay to stay with this company for as long as I have because they seem to appreciate those on the outside joining us than those that have been with them for some time. After graduation I started looking for a position to utilize my education. I have $66,000+ in student loans and my current salary just isn't cutting it. I have received little to no help from recruitment, and have struggled just to get noticed. I have no expectation to be handed a job, but guidance and appreciation would be appreciated not to mention the years that I have been loyal to this organization.

You should focus on those that you are paying for their education and support and help them after graduation. Why would you not if you invested money in them. There should be programs to help those gain the skills necessary for supervisory positions.

Medical Assistant

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Aurora Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are decent for employees and family. The company has expanded tremendously and this gives patients easier access for scheduling appointments.

Cons

Trust with management is lacking. You work your tail off to keep up with piles of work and to provide excellent customer service, but management fails to recognize your efforts. This is only based in my particular department, not the entire system.

Slow and Steady

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Aurora Health Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Aurora is in a great position as an integrated delivery system with a large patient base across a continuous geographical spread. In the move towards population health, it can make strides in ways that local competition can not. So it is an exciting place to work. The culture is positive and the people want to make a difference in the lives of our patients.

Cons

Given its advantages, it can be frustrating when Aurora seems to go to slow in pursuing change. Aurora often moves too cautiously and stifles attempts at more bold change. Its size is also a barrier, as is its culture of autonomy for the different regional operations.

Aurora needs to invest in more system resources to align the functions across its geographical spread and empower faster and bolder change to lead the charge in the move to value-based health care.

Patients are first!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Aurora Health Care

Pros

Leadership lives the values of the organization.

Cons

It is a big system.

Keep up the great work!